Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 01:49 AM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,216 posts, read 6,785,934 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering who on CDF has found their PASSION and PURPOSE in life? Please share what it is and how you found it! Also, has it changed through the years or stayed the same?

Last edited by HDL; 07-23-2007 at 02:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 01:45 AM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,216 posts, read 6,785,934 times
Cool Okay, I'm going to try this ONE more time :-0

Has anyone here found their PASSION and PURPOSE in life????

What is it and how has it affected the way you live your life?

I will use Hoosier Guy as an example (don't know that he comes out of the Religion Forum much to read this, but... ). Recently he said that he wants to travel around to various churches, etc. talking about coming out of the homosexual lifestyle. To me, he has found something that he is passionate about and has also found his purpose.

I would like to be inspired by others who have also found their PASSION and PURPOSE and hopefully your stories will inspire other CDF members also. I think another example in the making is Cinderobyn . She seems to have a PASSION for writing and I believe she will find her PURPOSE in helping other women get through situations like the one she is in .

I look forward to reading all your inspiring posts!!!

Hugs,

~HDL~

Old 07-26-2007, 02:15 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,397,528 times
My first passion is my sweet little boy. I heard Dr. Phil once say that "when your children walk into the room your eyes should light up , that's a good description of how I feel for my baby !!! My other passion is for all animals (especially dogs) I am working towards my lifelong dream of owning a non-kill santuary for all types of animals, where they can live out their days with love and compassion, a warm bed, or barn and plenty of food. I know without a doubt I will make it happen. BTW, great post HDL !

Old 07-26-2007, 10:43 PM

688 posts, read 2,835,807 times
Ok, well I have many passions, and more than one purpose here on earth, don't know all of them, I think we acquire those as we go along.

As for my passion.....number one is helping sick children and their families. I am starting to put together an awareness campaign on childhood cancer/tumors. My child suffered from this and I found that everything I had asked her doctor to check into (beginning about 1 year before we found out what was wrong) that concerned me about her, she just passed it off as something else. When we finally found out what was wrong, they told me she had it at least a year! I found out everything that I had told her about that had concerned me were warning signs and symptoms of a brain tumor! i.e. the enlarged blood vessels around her temporal area, her loss of appetite, her soft spot had returned and was throbbing in the area.....(she claimed because my daughter was always petite that maybe it never really closed all the way yet) Give me a break! She was over 2 years old! Anyway, I realized that it was something that can easily be overlooked and so I plan to put together informational brochures/pamplets to get the awareness around about the warning signs. Not too many people, even doctors, will look into it until it is too late or almost too late. My daughter wouldn't have had half the suffering she did if they would have caught it earlier!

That is one, another is helping kids with terminal illnesses. My husband and I are relocating to Florida soon. We went to Disney World with our little girl back in 2004, through Make a Wish Foundation. We stayed at a place called Give Kids the World Village. It was awesome, it looked like Candyland! Anyway, in our rooms every night when we returned from the parks, they would have special things in our room for my girl! They had a restaurant there, not one that you pay money for the food. The food was completely free and the people who prepared it and served it to all the families were volunteers. They had volunteers that ran the water works park there, and the carousel and the ice cream shop. These people volunteered to help the village give these families a time of worry-free relaxation! So awesome, now when we go there to live, we want to go to the village at least once a month to volunteer for other families!

Another passion is food. I'm a big foodie! And I would love to have my own business someday whether it be a restaurant, diner, coffee cafe, something! I believe I could be very successful and I would involve my business in charities. Such as feeding the hungry. I worked at Pizza Hut in my teenage years, and I thought it was so cool that they would take their food left over on the buffet and send it to the local shelters. That kind of stuff moves me!

Another passion is to do something to help out abused children as I was abused and also battered wives as my mother was one. I would also like to do something to help people who are addicted to alcohol or drugs. And also to spread the love of God around. I'm so ever grateful that someone did that for me! I think I should pay it forward also!

In a nutshell, I guess my passion and purposes go hand in hand. It's to help people who need help by using my past experiences as a guideline and example. Some people (addicts, for example) don't respond well to others who have not walked in their shoes. I know that first hand. So, I guess I can also take the terrible things that happened to me and turn them around for the good! Ahhh.....feels good to say that!

LuLu

Old 07-26-2007, 11:42 PM

13,905 posts, read 3,377,699 times
My passion is poetry. I have written poetry for as long as I can remember but I never thought of it as being helpful to anybody. Recently I let several people read some of the stuff I had written. I was amazed at how many people could relate to what I wrote and how it helped them thorough some tough times in their lives. It was very gratifying to know that the pain or the joy I was feeling when I wrote could actually help somebody. My other passion has always been helping people. I was told by someone I helped find his way in life after several bouts with the law, that I was put on this earth as a guide for people who have lost their way. I don't know if this is true or not, but if it is, than I am happy with my role in life. I try to help people understand that there is beauty and magic in the world even in the toughest of times. Sometimes just slowing down long enough to notice how beautiful a Lunar Moth hovering around an outside lamp, or hawks flying in lazy circles over your head, or just listening to the leaves being blown by an afternoon breeze can lift your spirits, even in the worst of times. I just merely point this out to people who are so trapped by their problems or the fast pace of today's life that they don't slow down long enough to notice. More often than not it is enough to give them a different outlook on life. Sometimes I do this by talking to people I meet and sometimes it is through my writing. I believe this is one of the best purposes in life that I could ever have.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:25 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,432,293 times
Huh...where should I start.
I have so many passions.....
I think, my purpose in life is to cheer people/ animals up, make them feel better....and don't except "no" for an answer (I stay "on" things, and that's why people tend to call me a "pain in the "rear" )
But, that's all good....
My passion is to make my 2nd marriage work, learning from the mistakes I made the first time around.
To make more time for family, friends, my dogs....instead of being so career driven......life is to short !
I want to go and get re-certified in scuba, since I haven't done that since my teenage years.....(I've gotten so "boring"......)
And, the same applies to horseback riding, and just being around horses.
Also do I want to get back to painting again............haven't done that either since 2000, when I painted my last picture.
So much to do....so little time......

Old 07-27-2007, 06:39 AM

786 posts, read 4,732,192 times
My passion is travel. I have been to all 50 States, and forty two foreign countries. It is a learning experience for me and I want to visit 100 countries before I die and learn something new from all of them that will make me a better person.

I also love Adult Education and teach 5 different Community Education Classes at three different programs. I love teaching and speaking in front of groups.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:48 AM

14,967 posts, read 9,797,636 times
Default knowing what it is

Sometimes it's best to understand how apptitude and attitude fits the equation.

Apptitude is what we are "naturally" good at. Attitude is in our heart. Both can be improved and developed, both can be seperate and distinct. Maturity develops both... and like muscles the more you use them the better they become.

food for thought

Old 07-27-2007, 10:50 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,635,365 times
My aptitude was supposed to be as minister, counselor or photographer, go figure! But my passion has always been dancing, writing and interior decorating. Trying to fit one or more now into a new career plan.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:02 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,932,738 times
So many "important" passions... makes mine seem insignificant.

Ever since I can remember, I've wanted to be a homemaker. I got made fun of a lot for this "dream". I was told over and over how I could be so much more, blah, blah, blah. Then, I met this man, that, by all accounts shouldn't be alive. Surviving a fall off a 5 story building isn't something that happens to many and if it did, not very many could be here to tell about it. This wonderful man asked me to marry him and I'm more than honored to care for him for the rest of the time he has down here on Earth. I mean, God saved his life and then He chose me to look after this special man. I love my "job" and I'm humbled by it.

I also have a special place in my heart for animals. We have kitties... all of them rescue kitties. The joy I get out of seeing them so content, and in want of nothing but more hugs and kisses, it makes my heart feel good.

As far as my "purpose" in life goes... I'm not sure I've "found" that yet. I'd like to think I'm always growing and somehow working towards being the person I am ment to be. I probably won't find out my purpose until the very end. But that's fine... my true goal is, when I pass away, I want to hear my heavenly Father say to me, "Well done, my good and faithful servant".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics