Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 09:15 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,841,577 times

Advertisements

I don't get why everyone is so hung up on the unemployment benefits. It is almost useless anyway, what will you get maybe $150 to $175 a week if you are lucky? I guess it is better than nothing but not by much. It isn't like you can live off of and pay bills with unemployment. The best way to go is to always find another job before leaving the one you have so you can actually afford to pay your bills and live.

As far as the employer cutting your hours, of course they can. They can adjust your hours to fit operational needs and demands. They could lay you off if they wanted. What will most likely happen though, is you won't show up for your scheduled shift a couple of evenings or on the weekend and they will cut you down to 10 hours or less per week until you quit. That is just how retailers operate.

As others have mentioned, nobody really wants to work evenings or on weekends but just about all of us do regardless of the job. It doesn't matter whether you are an engineer, a doctor, a lawyer, a plumber or a retail associate; when the work needs to be done, the employees have to be there to get it done. I have worked from 6:00AM to 10:00PM over the years so many times I couldn't count them all. I have worked Saturdays for months straight and Sundays as well. I have worked 12 hour days 7 days a week for months straight in the past. Did I want to, no; did I like it, no but it had to be done to get the work done. I know people that during weather events have worked 3 days straight sleeping in the back seat of the truck a few hours here and there when they couldn't go anymore and then getting up and going back at it until the power was back on.

Most of us have all had kids and unfortunately sometimes work gets in the way of doing things with the kids. We have had to make arrangements for someone to pick the kids up from school or take them to sports or appointments because we had to work. It is part of life that we have to deal with. If you want to get anywhere with a career, you have to be there when they need you because if you have an excuse all the time and aren't there, someone else will eagerly jump in your place and probably be your boss before you know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 09:36 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,701 times
There are no guarantees from any company that you will get a certain amount of hours. Retail is known for cutting back hours once the new year arrives. I've never seen any contracts suggesting otherwise. You are at their mercy, you must
accommodate them, not the other way around!

Old 02-06-2017, 09:38 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,265,288 times
Company that I used to work in 2009 did reduce our hours from 40-32 due to the economy.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:39 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,701 times
I talked to a fellow who worked in produce at WM and he said he can't work Sundays and stipulated that when he was hired. I thought, that's not fair, why is he so special? I used to see him all the time, not any more.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:23 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
I talked to a fellow who worked in produce at WM and he said he can't work Sundays and stipulated that when he was hired. I thought, that's not fair, why is he so special? I used to see him all the time, not any more.
I think this is why its very important to ask these questions in the interview.

That way no one is surprised and then suddenly quits because of the hours.

At least thats how I would do it

If you dont like the hours dont take the offer

Seriously you just end up quitting and getting back in the same mess

Old 02-06-2017, 11:01 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Just tell them you attend Church on Sat and Sun.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:06 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Tell them also you have another part time job on the weekend or take college classes on the nights
Not like they will bother looking that up

Old 02-06-2017, 12:35 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
he's not special; He's SMART!

If the company was told of the limitations in the applicant's scheduling and they hired the person based on the limitations, they accepted that limitation. If they attempt to change it, they would be making a material change to the employment relationship.

Had the company said they were sorry but all employees must agree to work weekends or nights or holidays, etc, and the applicant accepted the work knowing the terms and conditions, if the employer changes it, there would be no material change to the employment relationship.

Instead of whining about this intelligent employee's smart action, you should be learning from him!

Old 02-06-2017, 01:40 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
And you're out of a job. They have staffing levels that need to be maintained. If you can't work or nights in retail, they're really useless to the store. You're not a team player. If I had to work with someone who absolutely refused to work nights or weekends and I was stuck working them, I'd be REALLY ticked and would probably complain to management about the special treatment you're receiving that no one else is getting.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:54 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
he's not special; He's SMART!

If the company was told of the limitations in the applicant's scheduling and they hired the person based on the limitations, they accepted that limitation. If they attempt to change it, they would be making a material change to the employment relationship.

Had the company said they were sorry but all employees must agree to work weekends or nights or holidays, etc, and the applicant accepted the work knowing the terms and conditions, if the employer changes it, there would be no material change to the employment relationship.

Instead of whining about this intelligent employee's smart action, you should be learning from him!
Unless the company guaranteed those hours, then nope. Making an effort to accommodate an employee's scheduling preferences is nice, and I think a smart manager does it for a good employee as long as they have other employees who want to work the other hours. But it's not guaranteed and if business needs require a change in schedule, the employee is out of luck unless they've got something in writing saying they would *only* be assigned the hours they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment