Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 03:24 PM

8,109 posts, read 7,482,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19 View Post
Why are most employees against Diversity programs?
Because it seems arbitrary to a lot of people. If management does a poor job of selling a diversity program, then they have to deal with grumbling.

Quote:
What's wrong with having Diversity in the workforce?
Nothing, if it happens naturally or if it seems to be natural.

But keep in mind that you'll always get a certain amount of "We've Always Done It This Way" whatever you're trying to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 03:51 PM

217 posts, read 238,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19 View Post
Why are most employees against Diversity programs? What's wrong with having Diversity in the workforce?
Probably because most Americans are sick and tired of foreigners and minorities taking away our jobs, especially if they are less qualified. It never used to be that way.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:03 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,073,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I understand that white privilege exists and I understand this is the reason for diversity programs. My problem is with situations like I mentioned: "You may not give an award to a straight, white male"

This is a sign of it going overboard and having the opposite of the intended effect. This is (in part) what caused the rise of Trump. It's going to breed resentment and pushback.

The middle management in my division was told that they MUST join a diversity group. They have to join the LGBT "allies", the Women's Group, the Black group, etc. So, they are actively herding us into our respective pens. They are FORCING us to join a group, where no doubt they will sit and listen to lectures about how we are unconsciously biased, whether we believe it or not. On our OWN TIME no less. Yeah, they won't breed more resentment at all.
All of this is absurd. This isn't a diversity program. As you describe it, it is a program designed to annoy people. It gives diversity a bad name.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:06 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,394,389 times
Define "diversity." Are we talking about an all-encompassing definition that includes diversity of opinion, perspective, worldview, culture (in the broadest sense of that word), family background, economic/social class background, educational attainment, life experiences, generational status, as well as diversity of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, and so on? Or are we talking about the cynical PR-driven corporate diversity initiatives that practice what is effectively an extended form of tokenism as a means of improving their image (without having to really change much of their company's practices or workplace culture, etc.). Because I suspect that considerably more people (myself included) have major issues with the latter definition than the former, and far too often, the latter one is more of what corporate "diversity programs" are based on in practice...

Old 02-08-2017, 04:12 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,089,772 times
Diversity taught in US colleges equates to racism against non-whites in most cases.
In reality diversity of thought is never tolerated at US colleges, just look at the recent riots at Berkeley.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:13 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,073,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassGuy View Post
Probably because most Americans are sick and tired of foreigners and minorities taking away our jobs, especially if they are less qualified. It never used to be that way.
We have always had foreigners come to the country as immigrants. The entire Irish cop/firefighter thing is based upon discrimination against the Irish. After that people were suspicious and resentful of Italians. Koreans and Vietnamese in the 80s and 90s. The only thing different about today vs the past us country of origin.

I want to point out something you said: "minorities taking away our jobs"

You do know that African Americans and native Americans are both minorities, right? Both ethnicities have been here since before the US became a country. Why do you consider jobs to be 'yours', rather than 'theirs'? Don't you see this as a problem?

This country was built on immigration. With our declining birth rate, if we cut immigration we will be in serious economic trouble in future decades. Get over your prejudice and embrace other cultures and people.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:16 PM

243 posts, read 221,332 times
Maybe the NBA should employ half white .

Old 02-08-2017, 04:19 PM

6,710 posts, read 5,957,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I just read in the LA Times that UC Berkeley spends $20 million a year on Diversity and that department has 150 employees.

It's a business.
Holy Toledo! That's outrageous. What do those people do all day?

Diversity is institutionalized racism. Suppose you get two applicants, one a white man who grew up in a wretched, abusive single-parent home or foster situation, never was given anything, and had to fight every step of the way to get to this point.

The second applicant is a black or Hispanic woman from the 'burbs who grew up in a normal, comfortable home.

Two guesses which one will be favored by a diversity-driven entrance system. Totally unfair, racist, sexist, and despicable.

Competition for any opportunity in our society should be color-blind, race-blind, and gender-blind.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:22 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,476,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You do know that African Americans and native Americans are both minorities, right? Both ethnicities have been here since before the US became a country. Why do you consider jobs to be 'yours', rather than 'theirs'? Don't you see this as a problem?
Exactly. I bet my family's history in the US predates many posters on CD. Given the logic that permeates this thread, my family members and I should naturally be CEOs and owners because this country is ours. Believing that WHITE is the default and anything "not white" is somehow "wrong" and infringes on the "right" of white people to have what's "theirs" is the problem in this country. I don't even know why I'm still entertaining this thread. It is very difficult to rewire people's faulty thought patterns.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:23 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,476,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notinpa View Post
Maybe the NBA should employ half white .
Maybe the white owners SHOULD employ their own. But then that might cut into their bottom line...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment