Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2017, 04:43 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Suppose you get two applicants, one a white man who grew up in a wretched, abusive single-parent home or foster situation, never was given anything, and had to fight every step of the way to get to this point.

The second applicant is a black or Hispanic woman from the 'burbs who grew up in a normal, comfortable home.

Two guesses which one will be favored by a diversity-driven entrance system. Totally unfair, racist, sexist, and despicable.
Interesting how you set up this scenario. You are implicitly agreeing that somebody who grows up in tough circumstances has a handicap due to their environment. Maybe people from such circumstances should get preferential treatment, realizing that if they achieved "A" grades while overcoming obstacles, they have the talent and drive to be "A+" achievers if given the opportunity.

I don't know how we deal with fairly equalizing things in the real world, so I am not an advocate of lowering standards for racial quotas.

I do find it interesting that you flipped the races from one is demographically typical though. I think that says something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 04:53 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Can anyone explain how diversity adds to profits? That is the reason for the business.

Does diversity add to harmony among the workers? That is what makes the profits easier to make with less aggravation.

If I have 15 Green Bay Packer fans as my only employees that are all the same race, sex, and age group and I am making money hand over fist why would I want to change that?

I think diversity laws should be the next to go. That's not freedom. If a group think they are being under represented they can start their own company and hire who they want.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:58 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Standards are not lowered. Diversity programs are to get QUALIFIED minorities into jobs they might not otherwise get a shot at, because people like to hire those they can "relate" to. Since white people are more likely to be in hiring positions...you figure it out.

I'm currently in a job where the favorites (who just happen to be white) get opportunities THROWN at them. I'd love to see my coworkers' resumes and shake my head at the fiction they write. Example: my coworker is a union steward who does absolutely nothing for the membership, but this person gets to have "union management" meetings where management tells then what to do and they say "ok". I bet if they were forced to write and defend a grievance it'd be "deer in the headlights". I, on the other hand, can SHOW I have ACTUAL union experience. People getting over by doing very little & not having to work for opportunities is the REAL affirmative action.

To get back on the subject...people from my organization are disgustingly against diversity. They continue to amaze me, but I don't know why I'm surprised. It's dominated by the most privileged race & gender in America.
Exactly. I see diversity programs as a way to counter nepotism which may prevent qualified minorities from getting the job. But getting the best people on board should still be top priority.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:59 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Because reverse racism and sexism isn't OK. I am only okay with it if there are extremes like all men or women or all a certain race.
There is no such thing as reverse racism. Racism is racism. Period.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:06 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
How do you diversify then? If you go by skill only, how is that promoting diversity?

So how do you promote diversity?
Just hire the most skilled person, regardless of gender or ethnicity and that's it. Nobody is 100% equal, that much is very true.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:06 PM

80 posts, read 47,121 times
Why do people always assume that minorities are not qualified for college admissions and employment opportunities? Isn't it possible that these candidates had to have more qualifications than white people just to be considered for positions?

People are always railing against diversity and minorities taking their jobs but say nothing about white people getting jobs because they are white. How do you explain why the top levels of management are almost always exclusively white males- nobody else is qualified?

Old 02-08-2017, 06:10 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassGuy View Post
Probably because most Americans are sick and tired of foreigners and minorities taking away our jobs, especially if they are less qualified. It never used to be that way.
If anyone ever doubted the existence of white privilege, the entitlement mentality of this post just proves it.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:12 PM

6,708 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Interesting how you set up this scenario. You are implicitly agreeing that somebody who grows up in tough circumstances has a handicap due to their environment. Maybe people from such circumstances should get preferential treatment, realizing that if they achieved "A" grades while overcoming obstacles, they have the talent and drive to be "A+" achievers if given the opportunity.

I don't know how we deal with fairly equalizing things in the real world, so I am not an advocate of lowering standards for racial quotas.

I do find it interesting that you flipped the races from one is demographically typical though. I think that says something.
Yeah it says that you can't generalize about people based on their race.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:34 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Yeah it says that you can't generalize about people based on their race.
I read it differently. You had to flip what is typical in order to generate an emotional response to support your point.

You were going for 'poor white people who are being discriminated against', when the reality is otherwise.

Whatever. I personally do not support set-asides or preferential hiring based upon race. I do recognize that we do have a very biased society.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:25 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
What a completely idiotic assumption. Most people are not against diversity in the workforce.

In tech, we have a huge push for diversifying (ie. more women). .
The one group that people DO NOT want to work around is BLACK MEN.

ESPECIALLY in the tech field.

Ask any non black male if discrimination in the work place exists...99.9% will say no.

A few will openly admit there are issues. Most will continue to lie. That is what they are taught to do.

Diversity programs are a joke.

Better get those businesses started black men.

Last edited by usamathman; 02-08-2017 at 08:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment