Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 12:48 PM

65 posts, read 64,571 times

Advertisements

I'm at a point in my life where I feel like I need a career change. I currently work in the IT field and have lost my passion for it. While I do enjoy helping people, I feel like I am ready for a new challenge and change in work. I have recently grown curious about the recruiting and onboarding process, as well as motivating and helping people with issues they have at work.

My degree is in Business Administration, so I'm curious to know how I would go about changing over to Human Resources? How would I go about applying for HR jobs when all my previous work experience has been in IT?

One thought I had was to ask my current place of employment's HR office to allow me to shadow them or help them out during my lunch break, so that I could at least somehow put that on my resume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 01:48 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,010,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmike View Post
I'm at a point in my life where I feel like I need a career change. I currently work in the IT field and have lost my passion for it. While I do enjoy helping people, I feel like I am ready for a new challenge and change in work. I have recently grown curious about the recruiting and onboarding process, as well as motivating and helping people with issues they have at work.

My degree is in Business Administration, so I'm curious to know how I would go about changing over to Human Resources? How would I go about applying for HR jobs when all my previous work experience has been in IT?

One thought I had was to ask my current place of employment's HR office to allow me to shadow them or help them out during my lunch break, so that I could at least somehow put that on my resume.
You do know that most of that work is confidential, you cannot just stick your nose in the Human Resource department at your workplace and look at employee files, salary, hiring, firing, etc.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:23 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,890,533 times
Cats! The more the better.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
You do know that most of that work is confidential, you cannot just stick your nose in the Human Resource department at your workplace and look at employee files, salary, hiring, firing, etc.
Yes, that is why I would ask first

Old 11-10-2016, 03:41 PM

You can always ask .... but there are very strict and enforcable laws when it comes to the HR business. A big part of my school education was teaching me about discrimination. Common sense is not enough, you gotta know your stuff, what to say and especially, what not. An unprofessional in the HR department can do big damage and get the company sued in a heartbeat.

However, training and helping others sounds more realistic.

I have a Masters in HR and Employment Relations.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
You can always ask .... but there are very strict and enforcable laws when it comes to the HR business. A big part of my school education was teaching me about discrimination. Common sense is not enough, you gotta know your stuff, what to say and especially, what not. An unprofessional in the HR department can do big damage and get the company sued in a heartbeat.

However, training and helping others sounds more realistic.

I have a Masters in HR and Employment Relations.
I definitely would not want to get anyone in trouble...I guess I would like to find the best way break into a field that I have no work experience in. I do have experience in helping and training others, because of my work in IT, but I don't want to be stuck in IT any more.

The local college offers a certificate in Human Resources Management that has "courses" such as Fundamentals in HR, Employee Relations, Current Issues in Employment Law, etc. that I have started to look into. But I don't feel that the certificate alone would be sufficient for a job change.

Any tips or suggestions?

Old 11-10-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I definitely would not want to get anyone in trouble...I guess I would like to find the best way break into a field that I have no work experience in. I do have experience in helping and training others, because of my work in IT, but I don't want to be stuck in IT any more.

The local college offers a certificate in Human Resources Management that has "courses" such as Fundamentals in HR, Employee Relations, Current Issues in Employment Law, etc. that I have started to look into. But I don't feel that the certificate alone would be sufficient for a job change.

Any tips or suggestions?
That sounds reasonable. I am not an expert though so please do not rely on my unprofessional opinion. Maybe some others want to chime in, too ....

Old 11-10-2016, 09:27 PM

5,901 posts, read 3,911,165 times
Quote:
I feel like I am ready for a new challenge and change in work. I have recently grown curious about the recruiting and onboarding process, as well as motivating and helping people with issues they have at work.
Have you ever been asked to train new employees at your current or previous jobs? Since you have no real HR experience, you can build upon that and try to spin it as onboarding experience.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:52 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,786,852 times
If the company is any size, they will hire people with degrees in HR, and not bring someone in from the IT world. HR has to know so many laws, and court rulings to do their job, that it is not something they could/would be in a position to employ you in HR. Just like they don't move people from HR to manage IT positions.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:59 PM

20 posts, read 18,406 times
Id suggest marrying your IT background with interest in HR thru HR Info System management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment