Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 08:36 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
I just want to not have to work 50+ hours per week, have weekends off, and make enough money where I can be comfortable while still putting enough away to where I can retire by 45. So far, so good. I'm well on my way, and only 5 1/2 years to go!
that is awesome that you are reaching your goal at such a young age. I am 51 and don't anticipate being ready for another 10 to 15 years. Want to have the house paid off and our retirement fully funded. Still i don't see retiring for another 30 years. I love what I am doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 08:39 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
My only goal was/is $40.00/hr. Still not quite there yet.

Also, I'd like to open my own shop soon. My company bills me out at $80.00/hr for which I get a little more than 1/3 of that. I wan to keep the other 2/3.
LOL, Wait till you are your own boss and figure how to keep more of it. Instead of competing with your boss the government will be wanting a larger share of it. You get to pay the part of Social Security that your employer pays.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:19 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
When I was in my 20's and starting my career I wanted to advance as fast as I could. Now that I'm in my 40"s I'm happy with stability and routine!

Old 02-13-2017, 01:33 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
If companies see you dont want to advance today though, good luck sticking around for more than a few years. They will find a way to get rid of you because eventually they can just find someone "cheaper" to do your job.

But this mindset is nonsense though because it implies there are enough open positions in companies to advance into it when there isn't.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:49 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,881 times
When I stop seeing advancement I move on. It is my biggest motivator to always be moving ahead and learning. Once stagnant I grow bored quickly. But I know that I need a fast paced environment to thrive and am never content to sit still or just cruise. Same is true in my personal life...basically I have my time managed down to the 30 minute increment from 5 am - 9pm.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:20 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
If companies see you dont want to advance today though, good luck sticking around for more than a few years. They will find a way to get rid of you because eventually they can just find someone "cheaper" to do your job.

But this mindset is nonsense though because it implies there are enough open positions in companies to advance into it when there isn't.

Again with the negativity. Enough already.

Positions have a pay scale. Once you fall outside of that pay scale it no longer makes economical sense to a company to keep you there. It also shows a lack of motivation to move up even though you have the experience and as such, should have more responsibility.

When companies propose work to a customer, they propose based upon a labor category knowing that they will need to spend $XXX per year on an employee in that category. They determine how many people they need, and the salary range for each of those people and add on their fees. To be profitable, the company must keep people in those positions beneath the upper range of the pay scale. Also, some customers know the pay scales and will immediately balk when they see someone who is too expensive working their project.

Let's say you want to be an inventory clerk. The pay scale in your area is $50-65k for the position.

You hire in at $55k. After 10 years you are now making $72k. Your labor category classifies you as an inventory clerk, however your salary is too high for the labor category. The work you are doing calls for an inventory clerk who makes no more than $65k. Because you were chosen to work the assignment, you are costing the company $7,000 of profit that they cannot recover because you should no longer be in that position.

To make that salary, you need to be in a different category with more responsibility so the cost to the customer can be justified. It isn't as simple as you just don't want to move up. Sometimes to remain employed you have to so the company can continue winning business.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Again with the negativity. Enough already.

Positions have a pay scale. Once you fall outside of that pay scale it no longer makes economical sense to a company to keep you there. It also shows a lack of motivation to move up even though you have the experience and as such, should have more responsibility.

When companies propose work to a customer, they propose based upon a labor category knowing that they will need to spend $XXX per year on an employee in that category. They determine how many people they need, and the salary range for each of those people and add on their fees. To be profitable, the company must keep people in those positions beneath the upper range of the pay scale. Also, some customers know the pay scales and will immediately balk when they see someone who is too expensive working their project.

Let's say you want to be an inventory clerk. The pay scale in your area is $50-65k for the position.

You hire in at $55k. After 10 years you are now making $72k. Your labor category classifies you as an inventory clerk, however your salary is too high for the labor category. The work you are doing calls for an inventory clerk who makes no more than $65k. Because you were chosen to work the assignment, you are costing the company $7,000 of profit that they cannot recover because you should no longer be in that position.

To make that salary, you need to be in a different category with more responsibility so the cost to the customer can be justified. It isn't as simple as you just don't want to move up. Sometimes to remain employed you have to so the company can continue winning business.
Again though.. What if there limited to NO Open positions to even "advance" to in the company which is pretty common today. There are hardly a plethora of job openings to move up into like there was years ago since Companies would much rather cut expense and operate on skeleton crews than be "job creators"

My company for instances, there hasn't been a job opening in my area for a year or two. There is no moving up unless you want to pick up and move 1000 miles..

Even if you want to move up. Many times there is nothing to move to. Thats not even mention, many companies would just assume hire from outside the company than to move people up internally. Its not negative, just the REALITY of many companies today.

My point stands.. There are HARDLY enough openings as there are people who are expected to move up into.

So this employer mindset is completely IDIOTIC. And you get these stupid turd questions during the appraisal process. "What do you see yourself doing here in the next few years? What would you look to move into?". Ummmm.... Why even ask me that stupid question If are no job openings ever??

Old 02-13-2017, 02:45 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,024 times
Quote:

There are plenty of people that stay in the same position for many years

It's much easier done in a company that provides services ( non profits, education, etc)

I almost have 10 years in the same position but will not get a raise again because i reach my ceiling

Old 02-13-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
There are plenty of people that stay in the same position for many years

It's much easier done in a company that provides services ( non profits, education, etc)

I almost have 10 years in the same position but will not get a raise again because i reach my ceiling

If you're the public sector, you can stay put in the same position for years. In the private sector, once you tap out on the pay scale at a certain job you're days are numbered especially when it comes cost cutting time.

Benefits the company sure. But many times the person who gets shown the door has no choice because there is no advancement. And many companies would just rather hire cheaper from outside than invest in their own workforce.

Last edited by DorianRo; 02-13-2017 at 03:12 PM..

Old 02-13-2017, 03:03 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,024 times
Quote:
If you're the public sector, you can stay put in the same position for years. In the private sector, once you tap on the pay scale at a certain job you're days are numbered especially when it comes cost cutting time.

Benefits the company sure. But many times the person who gets shown the door has no choice because there is no advancement. And many companies would just rather hire cheaper from outside than invest in their own workforce.
I have never work in the private sector ever but from the staff and teachers I help with many of them do complain about when they work in private

The stability can't even be beaten since some of them gave up a big chunk of their salary and advancement to work here.

On the other hand there are many folks here that don't ever plan on leaving and have never work for another company other than public for 30 + years

God help them if they Ever had to work for the private sector all they care about is the money and not a thing more

Based on a lot of stories nowadays I hope to never work in private
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment