Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 09:35 AM

27 posts, read 27,967 times

Advertisements

I am a Sr Analyst currently doing functions in two different departments. I was hired into one department, but they did sort of a bait and switch on me and gave me two sets of responsibilities. I've been performing at a very high level for 2.5 years in these functions. There is also one other less-experienced analyst who has a similar role as me, and he is not performing as well with both sets of duties.

I have a good feeling I'm already the highest paid analyst across both departments by a significant margin. There are a total of 8 of us across the two departments. I also have the most experience and am one of the older analysts.

My official boss who works for dept 1 asked me if I was interested in becoming a full-time analyst in dept 2 because dept 2 is growing rapidly, and they want their best performer in the division. The thing about dept 2 is I don't like the manager there as much and I don't like the responsibilities there as much. My current boss told me that I am free to stay in dept 1 with no repercussions, and it is purely my choice.

My plan is to say I'd be willing to move to dept 2 for a raise. They want me to have a meeting with the boss of dept 2 soon. I have a feeling he won't want to give out more money, and he has a history of firing people. But again, I said I'm a high performer and I know I can do those responsibilities, it's just that I don't like doing them as much, and I don't like the boss as much. Any issues with asking for more money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 09:54 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
I would ask. The worst they say is no. If you're already the highest paid your odds may not be as great but you won't lose anything by asking.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:57 AM

45,328 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Is it a promotion or a lateral transfer? That would impact the salary request.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:57 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxutilperusd View Post
The thing about dept 2 is I don't like the manager there as much and I don't like the responsibilities there as much. My current boss told me that I am free to stay in dept 1 with no repercussions, and it is purely my choice.

My plan is to say I'd be willing to move to dept 2 for a raise. They want me to have a meeting with the boss of dept 2 soon. I have a feeling he won't want to give out more money, and he has a history of firing people. But again, I said I'm a high performer and I know I can do those responsibilities, it's just that I don't like doing them as much, and I don't like the boss as much. Any issues with asking for more money?
How will more money help when you aren't really into doing the job? You'd raise the expectations on you while reducing your gut drive. If I were in your position, I'd stay right where I was.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
How will more money help when you aren't really into doing the job? You'd raise the expectations on you while reducing your gut drive. If I were in your position, I'd stay right where I was.
I'm doing 80% of the functions of the job in dept 2. I'm also doing 100% of the responsibilities of dept 1. To me money is a big motivator. If they raise my salary, I would consider moving and I'd do a good job for dept 2.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:03 AM

45,328 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Another question I would ask is if you turn this down will you ever get another opportunity to advance? I worked for a company and a school district where if you turned down a promotion or other opportunity once you were never asked again, no matter how long you worked at the places.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Is it a promotion or a lateral transfer? That would impact the salary request.
It's lateral, but I think I'm in a position to negotiate. My boss in dept 1 gave me a huge mid-year raise one time because there was turnover in the department and he was afraid I was going to leave. This company is small, and they have a history of negotiating lots of side deals for the workers.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Another question I would ask is if you turn this down will you ever get another opportunity to advance? I worked for a company and a school district where if you turned down a promotion or other opportunity once you were never asked again, no matter how long you worked at the places.
As I said above, there would be no repercussions to me declining this job.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:57 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,930,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxutilperusd View Post
I'm doing 80% of the functions of the job in dept 2. I'm also doing 100% of the responsibilities of dept 1. To me money is a big motivator. If they raise my salary, I would consider moving and I'd do a good job for dept 2.
The lure of money will quickly wear off, especially when you don't like the work or the manager. If you already are well-paid, the chances of getting more are slim, and the chances of getting enough to deal with a person and a job you don't like, is basically zero.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:42 AM

1,104 posts, read 918,974 times
Let's say they turn around and say they don't have any extra money in their budget. Are you willing to take on responsibilities and a manger that you don't find so comfortable for the same pay? That would be mad. So you have nothing to lose by saying, "Sure, I'll do XYZ for [insert here] salary".

This is a fairly easy position you are in; I am surprised why you are really asking as you have the clear advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment