Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 06:08 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,501 times

Advertisements

I turned down a job with the Federal Government for an IT support position because the salary for that position was wayyyyyy below than me currently working at the district

I was not in no rush because I was already working for the state government plus I pretty much recieved the same time off and benefits.

So no reason to go back on pay

I decided to stay put where i am at instead but just want to ask

Have you ever got a job offer and denied it and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 06:19 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Yes.

I declined one offer because I received two offers in one day. The one I declined paid a bit better, but benefits were nowhere near as good.

I declined a second offer because it required too much travel.

I have been approached by people with tentative offers 3 times, asking me what it would take to get me to move. I wasn't really interested in moving on any of these occasions, so I gave them my make-me-move price, which they were unable to meet.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:26 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
Yes.
One time it was because the operation was to much Owner/Operator in scale. It was growing, but not enough for separation between the two.

Another time I a choice between to new employers, I was being recruited by a previous manager and the other from a previous VP I worked for. Fortunately I made the best choice.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:25 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,175,996 times
Yes, three times that I can remember at various points during the first dozen or so years of my career- I was looking for some upward mobility (at the time I was working at a DoD lab, with a relatively small staff - so the opportunities for promotion were severely limited). The times I can remember getting offers from industry were to pretty much do the same kind of work (they wanted access to the knowledge I had gained), but not much more than a lateral move - no pay raise really, and nowhere higher in the hierarchy. So - I turned them down, but made use of the offers to get my managers at the time to bump me up internally.

Bottomline - for a Federal employee, the incentive to leave the security of a Government job would be a substantial pay raise - if that's not offered up, then there's no reason to leave.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Yup many times. Wrong job, wrong salary, bad vibes, better offer, bad timing.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:19 PM

2,068 posts, read 998,095 times
I turned down an offer because the employer did not offer a 401k plan.

Hindsight - great decision. The position I accepted had 6% matching and a 10% bonus contribution annually. After 17 years, my $300k balance is now well north of $1 million.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:33 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I've turned down a job when it just didn't feel right. The last job they didn't pay enough and I would have had A far commute.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:54 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,806,228 times
I just got 3 offers turned down 2 it wasn’t easy but was a blessing

Old 02-15-2017, 09:18 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
A few times. Mostly because they would have been a cut in pay or benefits. Probably the biggest time would have been a nice promotion pay wise, but the interview just gave me a bad vibe. I have since gotten a position at the same location, but a different office where I work with the office I turned down. While I couldn't place what gave me the bad vibe initially, my experience working alongside that office has clarified it's pervaded by a culture of mediocrity and it drives me nuts just working with them. I couldn't have stood working for them.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:11 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,259,690 times
In the mid-'80s I turned down a job as a PR director for a hospital because I would have had to carry a beeper (I know, LOL!) and be on call on weekends. I ended up with a corporate PR position that didn't have the on-call requirement.

I know things have changed a lot, and nobody expects to leave the job behind for the weekend. We didn't appreciate how good we had it back then, when you could actually be "out of touch" for 48 hours or more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment