Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 08:24 AM

387 posts, read 352,434 times

Advertisements

Good morning all! I am hoping the community here can provide some feedback on a current situation we are facing. My wife is interested in stepping down from her Director/Supervisor role and just become an associate. For context, here is some background.

6 years ago she was hired by this company as an associate, working under her former supervisor. 4 months into the job, her supervisor left and my wife was promoted (forced in a way, but at the time given the pay increase and expectations there was no concern or hesitation). She has done extremely well in her 5 years as supervisor, eventually taking on the role of director (which was created upon a separation of duties from another employee). She has helped keep the program on track and stable, and has instituted many SOP's which have proved to be beneficial. In addition, she has been always available as needed. However, in the past year or so, the job expectation has "changed." Now there are a lot of politics involved, and she is feeling like she is being used, stepped on, or even not listened to. In her time, they have hired two new associates (one of which who is doing the job well and recently got a 7.5% raise), and another who is struggling, but seems to be coming around. I mention these because (and I understand the bias that may be present), in relation to what my wife does for her job, in addition to going above and beyond, the recognition salary wise has not been there at all. She has gotten the normal COLA's, but that is about it (outside of her "promotions", which still did not come anywhere near what the previous supervisor was making).

This past year, was their best year ever, and the things my wife did and helped with were a big part of that. Once they realized the goals were met, she e-mailed her director regarding two employees who went above and beyond (as my wife did), and they were both given promotions or raises above the "normal". When it came time for my wife, she received a VERY SMALL increase over the normal (3.5% as opposed to 3.0%). Again, I put this in context with the associate hired last year who was given a 7.5% raise who in her review, things were pointed out that needed to be improved on.

Over the past year, I have seen this job take a toll on her mentally and physically because of the stress of dealing with the newfound politics of the job, and the lack or respect when it comes to compensation. Her director ALWAYS raves about my wife, and is constantly telling her how she could never leave, she is a blessing, blah blah blah. But it doesn't seem to translate into anything in a show of respect or value. My wife is not one for confrontation, and does not feel comfortable trying to ask/demand more money. Just not in her personality.

We have talked and my wife just wants to relieve herself of the supervisor/director title, and become an associate and just work. Not have to deal with the headaches any more. I am supportive of this because of what it is doing to her, but I have no way how she should approach the topic. She has floated the idea to her counterpart a couple times, but each time she is just kind of laughed at. She also feels like it is taking time away from spending time with our 4 year old daughter, and she doesn't want to do that anymore.

So I am curious to the community, both to those that may have experienced something like this and wanted to "de-promote", or those that have had employees that wanted to do this. What would be the best way to bring this topic up? How would this be viewed by a director if an employee wanted to drop down? Would it be negative? Would the honesty be appreciated? Would she just be laughed at and let go?

I realize any of those things can happen, but was hoping for some feedback/ideas/experiences from others.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 08:32 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,123,272 times
This isn't something to propose in email or a hallway conversation with her manager. She should schedule a closed-door meeting and put her cards on the table about her need to make the move. It isn't a good idea to present it as an ultimatum (i.e, "demote me or I'll quit"), but more as a way that the employer can keep a good employee happy and healthy.

Hopefully the manager is convinced to see things her way. But if a frank discussion with her manager doesn't convince the manager to let her make the move, then the move isn't going to happen at this employer. She should consider and keep in the back of her mind what her next move is if the answer is no.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:33 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,586,772 times
Honestly she'd probably be better off going to work at a different company but if she does want to stay I'd have a frank and honest discussion with her director. Site family reasons and reiterate that she loves working there but isn't able to meet the demands at this time and would like to step down.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the responses thus far. It would definitely not be a "demote me or I'll quit". If moving down was not possible, she would stay because she does love what she does, and the people she works with (for the most part).

Everytime we have talked, I have mentioned I would keep the compensation part out of it (even if that is a part of the reason), but instead focus on the family reasons and demands of the job.

We have also talked about her dropping down to relief, and there are some places she could still do this work (even the place she works for uses relief staff - that was an option we thought about just eventually resigning and doing just relief. That would be her ultimate goal, but the uncertainty of shifts are the concern there).

I would never have her do this in an e-mail, this definitely does need to be face to face. When she has mentioned it to her counterpart, she has done so in the context of "friends" chatting (it has gone both ways as her counterpart has made comments of the same nature, and my wife has listened and talked with her about them from her side).

It's a tricky situation, and I truly want to believe that this company would recognize that they would still be keeping a GREAT employee who has turned things around and they would be lucky to have.

Again, thanks Bo and annabanana123 for the feedback! Much appreciated!

Old 02-26-2017, 12:09 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,022,811 times
Has she considered putting her resume out there and seeing what else is available? It sounds as if a big part of the problem is that her compensation is pretty much frozen at this company, regardless of how many new responsibilities she takes on. Sometimes you have to jump to get out of a salary rut. Seeking a demotion will certainly not help with this.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:55 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,286,668 times
How large is her company? Is it possible she could get a fresh start with a new division? It might be easier to switch gears that way, while staying with a company she likes.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:55 PM

Unfortunately should would not be able to start fresh in a new division, it's very specific on what she can do. She has thought about putting her resume out there, but there are some benefits to her job (whether she was an associate or supervisor), that would be VERY tough to find somewhere else.

It's not that the compensation is frozen at the company. That was the case a couple years ago, but that freeze has apparently been lifted (as evidenced by the 7.5% raise for one of the new associates as well as two of the employees she recommended get raises). And it's not so much that her problem is the compensation *****, it's just that the work she does is not being recognized in a compensatory way, while others who do not do nearly the amount of work or show the dedication she does receive raises above the "normal" 3%. She feels (as I do as well), why do this extra work, if it is not going to get recognized? Might as well just be an associate. The extra money (at least at this time), is NOT worth the work being done. If she was compensated fairly (and of course that is all relative, but she is still NOT making what her former supervisor was making, but has grown the program tremendously since she has taken over), then there would not be an issue, she would accept the responsibilities.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:27 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,906,399 times
As a woman, I think it's easier to do this if you're a woman. It's kind of like asking to go part-time or 3/4 time in corporate America - easier for a woman to ask for, esp. if part of the reason is child-rearing, just because of the way things still are. I've seen plenty of people ask for part-time, less responsibility, etc. and I will say that management can tend to view those people as less ambitious, which is hard for women when they want to amp up their career again at the same place. But if your wife doesn't care a lot about that, I'd go for it and make the request. if they truly value her, they'll find a way to make it work. Or they may recognize that they've been treating her unfairly. Either way, you have to ask - esp. women - and make your concerns known or ask for other jobs or wahtever.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:09 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,022,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctousley819 View Post
Unfortunately should would not be able to start fresh in a new division, it's very specific on what she can do. She has thought about putting her resume out there, but there are some benefits to her job (whether she was an associate or supervisor), that would be VERY tough to find somewhere else.

It's not that the compensation is frozen at the company. That was the case a couple years ago, but that freeze has apparently been lifted (as evidenced by the 7.5% raise for one of the new associates as well as two of the employees she recommended get raises). And it's not so much that her problem is the compensation *****, it's just that the work she does is not being recognized in a compensatory way, while others who do not do nearly the amount of work or show the dedication she does receive raises above the "normal" 3%. She feels (as I do as well), why do this extra work, if it is not going to get recognized? Might as well just be an associate. The extra money (at least at this time), is NOT worth the work being done. If she was compensated fairly (and of course that is all relative, but she is still NOT making what her former supervisor was making, but has grown the program tremendously since she has taken over), then there would not be an issue, she would accept the responsibilities.

I get that pay is not literally frozen at the company. It's just that the company is not willing to pay your wife more, whether it's because they think she's comfortable there and won't seek greener pastures, they don't think her work merits it, she isn't allied with the right people, or for some other reason or combination of reasons. When a company has you pegged as a person who belongs at a certain salary level or level of responsibility, sometimes the only way to move up is to leave. Your wife needs to think about whether the benefits of working at this particular company are worth seeing her career stall or even lose altitude.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:05 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
It seems to me you are more stuck on her lack of increase in salary and translating that to recognition. If she got a 7.5% increase would she still want to step down? Did she discuss with her boss that she deserved a larger increase?

I guess I am just not understanding why your wife is feeling pressure. I know she doesn't like confrontation, but if she doesn't stand up for what she needs in her job she will never be happy. Will her taking a step down solve the issue of feeling appreciated? What if a new person put in place is even worse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment