Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:25 PM

924 posts, read 2,231,090 times

Advertisements

I'm a part time customer service agent and up until this month, did mostly weekends (Fri-Sun), about 20 hrs/week total. One or two of those days would be in a supervisory role where I answer colleagues' questions (second level support), do coaching and be the "go to" person for any issues that needed to be escalated.

While the experience taught me some leadership skills, the problem is both my job title and renumeration did not reflect these extra responsibilities. I tried asking for a raise, at least a couple of bucks over the standard because I had this extra stuff on my plate and it was denied. I feel I'm being short changed and have been so for the past 3 years. Although I scored well in performance reviews, it was never enough to convince him to raise my salary more than $1/hr over 3 years.

Now luckily for me, since the New Year, I was offered weekday shifts instead (still only 20 hrs/week, but at least I'd finally be off on weekends). It also meant I no longer had to do second level support. However, just when I thought weekend duty was a thing of the past, now for the second time this month, I'm being asked to cover for the team member and do weekends again. In the meantime, I asked the boss if I could get Mon-Wed instead of Mon,Tues,Fri shifts and he hasn't replied. I really get the impression this boss wants everything and gives back nothing in return. He wants me to be available for any shift, for any duties, yet doesn't want to pay extra for extra responsibility. If I wasn't there on weekends, the boss would ask a supervisor to come in and they definitely make extra.

How would you handle the weekend requests? Like I said, I thought it would be a thing of the past. Frankly, I'm tired of working weekends all the time, not seeing my friends and family, etc. Plus, I feel like he's taking advantage of me with the standard salary.

The boss is waiting for my answer for the last weekend in January. Would you reply that you accepting the shifts is contingent on him offering 3 consecutive weekdays, rather than Mon,Tues,Fri? What's ridiculous with the current schedule is that Fri is only 4 hours and this really messes up the chances to work a second job.

Last edited by ValueAddedWorker; 01-17-2010 at 03:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 06:41 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Tell him to bugger off.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:44 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Learn to say 'no'. When they ask, tell them you have other commitments that you cannot cancel or reschedule.

They take advantage of you because you let them.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:10 PM

The thing is, I'd be sacrificing about $160 (after taxes) in potential earnings if I say no to the weekend shift. Yet the boss still hasn't replied to my reminder to him about the Mon-Wed request. I wonder if he's holding out to see if I'll cave.
Anyway I know that in this economy I should be grateful for a job, especially since I'm not working in my BA field, but I really get the sense the boss is giving the new hire everything he wants (full time status, salary and flexibility to take off when he can), while expecting me to be a "filler" whenever he pleases. I know that's the role of a part timer, but frankly, I'm tired of him taking advantage of me.

kodaka, what do you mean I let them do it? Do you say that because I keep saying yes to extra shifts?

Old 01-17-2010, 07:18 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
I'm a part time customer service agent and up until this month, did mostly weekends (Fri-Sun), about 20 hrs/week total. One or two of those days would be in a supervisory role where I answer colleagues' questions (second level support), do coaching and be the "go to" person for any issues that needed to be escalated.

While the experience taught me some leadership skills, the problem is both my job title and renumeration did not reflect these extra responsibilities. I tried asking for a raise, at least a couple of bucks over the standard because I had this extra stuff on my plate and it was denied. I feel I'm being short changed and have been so for the past 3 years. Although I scored well in performance reviews, it was never enough to convince him to raise my salary more than $1/hr over 3 years.

Now luckily for me, since the New Year, I was offered weekday shifts instead (still only 20 hrs/week, but at least I'd finally be off on weekends). It also meant I no longer had to do second level support. However, just when I thought weekend duty was a thing of the past, now for the second time this month, I'm being asked to cover for the team member and do weekends again. In the meantime, I asked the boss if I could get Mon-Wed instead of Mon,Tues,Fri shifts and he hasn't replied. I really get the impression this boss wants everything and gives back nothing in return. He wants me to be available for any shift, for any duties, yet doesn't want to pay extra for extra responsibility. If I wasn't there on weekends, the boss would ask a supervisor to come in and they definitely make extra.

How would you handle the weekend requests? Like I said, I thought it would be a thing of the past. Frankly, I'm tired of working weekends all the time, not seeing my friends and family, etc. Plus, I feel like he's taking advantage of me with the standard salary.

The boss is waiting for my answer for the last weekend in January. Would you reply that you accepting the shifts is contingent on him offering 3 consecutive weekdays, rather than Mon,Tues,Fri? What's ridiculous with the current schedule is that Fri is only 4 hours and this really messes up the chances to work a second job.
Are you in school? If so then I would work up a doable schedule and give it politely to the scheduler and let them find a way to make it work. Do not worry about the support responsibilities, you can jazz up your resume with experience. Any personal communication practice is a plus in any job market. Good luck!

Old 01-17-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Are you in school? If so then I would work up a doable schedule and give it politely to the scheduler and let them find a way to make it work. Do not worry about the support responsibilities, you can jazz up your resume with experience. Any personal communication practice is a plus in any job market. Good luck!
Nope, not in school. I got a BA in 2008 and still only have a part time schedule. I thought weekend duty was a thing of the past, but now I'm being pulled back in, for no extra compensation. That's what gets me the most.

How about if I ask what the conditions are to agreeing to weekend duty, i.e.
1. do I have to provide second level support/training ?
2. will weekends be a regular thing? (I could mention how I thought I was doing weekdays now)

Old 01-17-2010, 10:43 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
Thanks for the clarification on your school status.
If you are all out for this job then do all they ask and work any schedule.
However there are other opportunities, if you are not saddled with debt and responsibilities I would keep looking. I see nothing wrong with handing them a set schedule and giving them the job of making it work. You could mention that you are considering grad school or some other type of additional training and you need a more concise schedule. I personally would let them know I was uncomfortable with the support aspect without additional training and job title particular to the position. Good luck. It is OK to stand up for what you want, just have to present it in a manner that seems advantageous for them.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Your getting what many partime filins get really. that is because they likely feel that your not going to be there long really and might even be surprised you stayed this long.Sopunds like teh new hires is full time and they want to retain him/her really.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
I personally would let them know I was uncomfortable with the support aspect without additional training and job title particular to the position. Good luck. It is OK to stand up for what you want, just have to present it in a manner that seems advantageous for them.
Thanks for the insight seven of nine. Mentioning I am pursuing further schooling would make my refusals for weekend shifts more believable.

Good point about being uncomfortable with the support aspect without additional training. I requested extra training last year, yet despite all my suggestions (I suggested making a knowledge quiz to test me so we could find my weak points and then they could offer training, asked for the training several times, etc.), it all fell on deaf ears.
I also presented it as a win win situation but another supervisor later admitted that the company lacked resources, i.e. personnel and time to offer proper training. So the role is pretty much self taught, but the problem with that is, if they don't offer sufficient hours, there isn't enough time to learn.
I also asked for the telecommuting privilege (full timers get it, not me), but this was denied too.

I really do not get the feeling the boss has my best interests in mind and by stalling or declining the weekend shifts, I guess it's a sort of payback for his lack of consideration.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:42 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,424,662 times
Are you looking for another job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment