Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 10:59 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
I don't get why people get so defensive and say mind you own business.
We aren't defensive, but you certainly seem to be.

You've said something about this co-worker (your cousin?) to us about twenty times in the past few months and people have told you to mind your own business in every thread. Don't you get bored writing and hearing the same thing over & over?

Maybe you should get some counseling so that you can learn to let this just slide and do your own thing. It will make your life much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 11:02 AM

305 posts, read 331,021 times
This is not the same person you are referring to above so please don't post false accusations or tell me to seek counseling.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:36 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
My coworker is on personal calls on her work phone almost everyday all day. She gets her work done but when any of us have work related questions or issues you can't talk to her because she is always on the phone. She is literally on her phone sometime 4 hours straight. If a manager comes by though she gets off. Would you consider this and issue? I know some don't as long as you get your work done but I would think you should be available for your coworkers as well. On a side note....how does someone have that much to talk about?
I would interrupt her if I have a question or anything.

Does she have her own office?

Old 03-02-2017, 12:47 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I would be studying this person to figure out how she does it! So I could do it too!

Once or twice I was blessed with a co-worker who couldn't decide what to have for lunch. She was flummoxed over even the simplest decisions. After months of incessant questions, I was guilty of picking up the phone and pretending to be on a call when I saw her coming.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:36 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,788 times
I worked with someone who spent half the day text-messaging her husband. It drove me up the wall too. No you can't do anything, but it's not going to help their case if they fall out with their boss. It's just something you got to ignore.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:35 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
My coworker is on personal calls on her work phone almost everyday all day. She gets her work done but when any of us have work related questions or issues you can't talk to her because she is always on the phone. She is literally on her phone sometime 4 hours straight. If a manager comes by though she gets off. Would you consider this and issue? I know some don't as long as you get your work done but I would think you should be available for your coworkers as well. On a side note....how does someone have that much to talk about?
They wouldn't allow that at my company. You'd be fired.

Most of us wouldn't be able to keep our level of productivity after talking on the phone for even 2 hours a day ... and we'd be fired.

Now, there are a few people in administrative/marketing roles who have a bunch of down time, who COULD do that, but they'd be fired because that just looks terrible.

If you are in sales, you could do that too theoretically, but again ... would you sell enough to keep your job?

If it bothers you a lot, you could look for a company that has a higher standard/workload. I can tell you that you could definitely find one.

Or if your job is easy and you enjoy the laid back atmosphere, just deal with it. I actually did work at an office like that. The secretary was on the phone ALL DAY even though her job was to answer phones, and the boss didn't care. It really didn't matter THAT much, because the job was such a joke. Eventually she got fired for calling in sick and showing up late too many times.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:58 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
I don't get why people get so defensive and say mind you own business.
Probably because they do it at work too.

Now that I think about it again, there is a woman in the building who has one of those bluetooth thingies with headphones and is on the phone every time I see her.

In the lunch room. At her desk. Walking to the bathroom. Walking from her car into the office. She does some kind of admin.

She works for another company next door whom we do some work with but she is not an employee of us. I guess her boss is OK with it. Would drive me nuts...

Old 03-02-2017, 08:04 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
If it's a real problem, her boss is noticing. If you get called on a task you couldn't complete because she was unavailable to answer a question, you let your manager know that you have an impediment due to the unavailability of "Jane" at the time. Don't get into personal details or embellish. Don't be a tattle-tale. Keep it short, professional, matter-of-fact and not personal. If her personal phone calls are truly impacting the work, management will figure it out. You'll just make yourself look bad if get yourself in the middle of it.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:26 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,343 times
Not much to be done here. Years ago, I worked next to a young woman who fought with her boyfriend every single day on the phone. And, yes, I could hear all of it. I just tried to ignore it & did my work.

I do admit that it's things like this that make me hate office settings, though....

Old 03-03-2017, 05:04 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Maybe you should just do your damn job and not worry about her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment