Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2017, 10:43 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,657 times

Advertisements

Hi,

In a nutshell, I just took a career finder test and the top matches I got back were HR Recruiter, Dispute Management (something in relations work), an actor, teacher, asset management, and radio/voice-over work. I realize the results are a bit "all over the place" and not biblical truth of what I should be doing, per se, but I think they are good suggestions.

I am an ESFP personality type, so I enjoy interacting with people, but I strongly prefer it be in a non-adversarial manner. I can do the classroom management thing as a teacher, so in that regard I can act stern and serious when needed, although it's not my favorite part of the job.

I was hoping to get feedback from perhaps other outgoing and jolly ESFPs, or people who may play one on TV (mwahaha). But, main point, what's the best way to further narrow it down? I know volunteering is one option. I also just got certified to be a teacher in TX (I used to teach overseas); I'm not sure if I'd like to do teaching as a career, but will definitely give it my 100% when I'm there.

My strengths are that I am dependable and work hard and can entertain and uplift those that I encounter and am usually well-liked (not saying that to sound arrogant). In addition, I am good with being animated and making various impersonations of people and such. My weakness is that in an office setting I struggle to stay 100% corporate/businesslike all the time (perhaps then it'd be best to continue to invest and buy/follow stocks on my own, instead of with an asset management firm) and I often use humor as a release valve, so I need to work in an environment where I'm given some leeway, or if not that, expose myself to things like improv, which allow me to vent and be eccentric (and not be judged in the process ).

Thanks again for any helpful advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 06:14 PM

106 posts, read 122,503 times
I'm not an ESFP (literally the polar opposite, INTJ) but I recently went through this same situation in my life. I went through five years of college unsure if the degree I was pursuing was what I really wanted to do. After I graduated, I punched in the face with a hard fist of reality accompanied with a failed attempt at my first career. What I did to make a new decision was to look up which careers match an INTJ personality type and I found two that I would consider pursuing; computer science and accounting. I took college classes in both subjects and the one that I liked the best (accounting) was what I chose. The only con to this is that it will cost more money but I justified the decision because I would rather be poor and happy than unhappy and poor.

I don't think that your career suggestions are all over the place. In fact, they all seem to be what I would call a 'social category'- every job you listed requires a lot of human interaction and would be draining to someone who is an introvert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment