Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 04:21 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatdabri View Post
Hello,
I am a software developer in the Bay area and I got fired from a pretty reputable startup after close to 1 year of working. I felt it coming since I had difficulty delivering a very complex feature. My last boss has said that he will give me good references. This is the first time this is happening to me and I have to find a job quick in about 2 months due to personal reasons. I am starting to interview again and I was wondering how should I handle the question as to why I got fired? I guess the right thing to do everyone will say is to state the reasons as to why I got fired. But, I was wondering does anyone have any experience in a situation like this? Did anyone feel that they lost a good opportunity because they truly stated why they got fired. Or did anyone feel like they got a lower salary because of being truthful? How to handle this situation?
It is not that you got fired that will keep you from getting a new job. It is how you handle it.

Tell the truth when asked why. Do it with dignity and no accusations or anger. Think about what went wrong and what you would do differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 04:30 PM

546 posts, read 764,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Tell the truth when asked why. Do it with dignity and no accusations or anger. Think about what went wrong and what you would do differently.
NO NO NO!
u are setting up yourself for failure

Best bet to say is " i was laid off or the job was 1 year contract"
its common that IT jobs are contract, and end when the job is finished

Old 03-09-2017, 06:01 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
There is no database of who left for what reason. If a prospective employer calls this company, they'll get a verification of the dates you worked and nothing more.

You can literally say anything you want. Say the project wound up, or it wasn't challenging, or there was a poisonous atmosphere. Whatever. If you feel compelled to be honest, you could say that you were fired, but paint it like "My boss had impossible expectations, I had no support, things that I did that met spec were rejected for political reasons....
IMO (as they say): worse advice ... just don't. All sound like excuses, not reasons. Prospective employer will hear that you will use those same thoughts to screw up his place if he hired you. They make it sound as if you're high maintenance.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:12 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
There is no database of who left for what reason. If a prospective employer calls this company, they'll get a verification of the dates you worked and nothing more.
Not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
"It was a startup and I got laid off when the project wrapped up."
^^^this. Good luck on your job hunt!

Old 03-09-2017, 06:20 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,367 times
Quote:

You can literally say anything you want. Say the project wound up, or it wasn't challenging, or there was a poisonous atmosphere. Whatever. If you feel compelled to be honest, you could say that you were fired, but paint it like "My boss had impossible expectations, I had no support, things that I did that met spec were rejected for political reasons..."

Everyone's been fired. Probably everyone has quit a job before being fired, and is that really any "better"? It isn't a scarlet A. Tell how you learned something and improved yourself.
^This and probably the infamous "would you hire this person again" question. OP, just say the contract wrapped up.

Last edited by lovely40; 03-09-2017 at 06:35 PM..

Old 03-09-2017, 07:32 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Just say that "the company and I were not a good fit" and move on. The more you say, the more you can incriminate yourself. Have your ex-boss provide a good reference for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasiscakes View Post
I never said "I was fired". In the past, I tried to play it off as I was still working but looking for a new opportunity. It worked for me, but wouldn't recommend it unless you think you can definitely get away with it.
I have been laid off a couple of times. I got fired a few jobs ago. It was sort of sketchy, but they gave me 3 or 4 weeks of notice. I no longer remember. I went into interviews saying it was no longer a good fit, and I was looking for roles that were different in the followings ways in my next opportunity. These challenges were not negative about the company I was leaving and sounded very me focused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
Research the startup. They may not be as clean as you thought.

I've only been fired once. After a few months of looking for work it was clear that many others had also been fired. Few, if anybody took them seriously, and people didn't usually mention them in their career.

So be careful- they might not be everything they seem. You might not want to advertise that you've even been with them.
That is a good point, tech startup land in the Bay Area is pretty small.

Also, you should got to meet ups that focus on topics you know about. You might find some good opportunities that way. Schedule some coffees and the like with former colleagues to "catch up" and let you know if you hear anything.

Also reach out to your former employers competition. Most of the completion is interested in someone who knows the space so it could be a fast track.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:44 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
If you want to stick closer to the truth in case the former employer gets blabby, how about "My skillset wasn't applicable to the next stage of the project" or something in that vein. And then be able to document what you've done since then to expand your abilities...additional training, studying, etc.

You just really don't want to sound high maintenance, or like you might have done something sketchy to get fired.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:51 PM

919 posts, read 609,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasiscakes View Post
I never said "I was fired". In the past, I tried to play it off as I was still working but looking for a new opportunity. It worked for me, but wouldn't recommend it unless you think you can definitely get away with it.
Hahaha, this is a porky that I've told & got away with before.
Generally speaking, for some reason, employers prefer to offer the job to someone who's employed than someone who's not. I tell the interviewer to please do not contact my present employer or they'll start looking for a replacement. It worked 2 out of 2 for me. But that was when I was young & brash.

OP, if you had a reasonable rapport with your former employer, you could always ask if he/she wouldn't mind saying that you were retrenched due to the position being no longer required when prospective employers check your references. If he/she felt bad about firing you it shouldn't be a problem. Retrenched sounds like bad luck & much better than 'terminated'.
If they agree then make sure that you have a friend with a confident phone manner call your former boss & pretend to be a prospective employer just to be safe.

Or if your boss was a complete a-hole you could say that you were replaced by a 3rd world worker on a work visa at half your salary, lol. This happens all the time these days.

To be really honest I don't know (I read Oasiscakes post & had to respond) Hope you get some solid advice.
Stay positive & good luck.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:58 PM

1,020 posts, read 809,198 times
Listen to Eastcoastguyz ^^^.

I was in IT for my entire career, was also an IT headhunter for several years. Though it's been awhile. I would NEVER tell an interviewer I'd been fired. Do not ever speak negatively about a former employer or boss & you certainly don't say that your boss was difficult or unreasonable or ANYTHING of the sort. That's even worse than saying you were fired & it only reflects negatively upon you.

When asked why leaving your current/last employer, you just answer in positive I statements about yourself. "I didn't find it as challenging as I'd hoped", "it wasn't a fit for my XYZ skillset", "I wanted a commute that was more reasonable", "I did not see any advancement opportunities or opportunity to learn ABC skillset", etc. You want to deflect & bring the focus back onto your skillset & what you can bring the interviewing company. You can also throw in a question to the interviewer , eg: (Mr. Johnson can you tell me about the opportunities to learn the ABC software here?). I would not outright lie b/c that can come back & bite you, especially since IT can be a 'small community'. You don't want to say you were laid off, when the interviewer may well know your former employer is hiring like crazy. Though you may be able to get away with the contract ended b/c it did. Granted it didn't end how you wanted, but it ended.

Also, not everybody has been fired & you shouldn't assume that. I've never been fired, my husband, also a lifelong IT'er has never been fired. Most of our friends, also in IT have never been fired. A few have been laid off, but most of us have never been laid off either.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:53 PM

136 posts, read 205,210 times
Would it be a good idea to leave it off your resume? what is everyone's opinion on this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment