Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 01:09 PM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 9 days ago)

600 posts, read 274,154 times

Advertisements

Graduated law school and instead of taking chances on the law market, moved to Oklahoma sight-unseen and did warehouse work. On the side, taught myself programming.

Got and still have first software job in 2016 after getting one of the highest scores in a programming challenge and doing ok during the interview. Company's gamble paid off, as I'm now a solid mid-level software engineer, having done some large integrations, doing some mentoring, and simply getting stuff done with timeliness and quality. Basically I had every expectation of being a 10X dev from the beginning, and pushed myself accordingly.

Writing this while on vacation abroad (though still working on my side projects - can't help it) - so things are well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 08:12 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,726,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicOverlord View Post
Graduated law school and instead of taking chances on the law market, moved to Oklahoma sight-unseen and did warehouse work. On the side, taught myself programming.

Got and still have first software job in 2016 after getting one of the highest scores in a programming challenge and doing ok during the interview. Company's gamble paid off, as I'm now a solid mid-level software engineer, having done some large integrations, doing some mentoring, and simply getting stuff done with timeliness and quality. Basically I had every expectation of being a 10X dev from the beginning, and pushed myself accordingly.

Writing this while on vacation abroad (though still working on my side projects - can't help it) - so things are well.
awesome story. how did you teach yourself programming?

i am trying to learn basic SQL and Python but have no idea how to best do it or where it can take me.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:09 PM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 9 days ago)

600 posts, read 274,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
awesome story. how did you teach yourself programming?

i am trying to learn basic SQL and Python but have no idea how to best do it or where it can take me.
I'll list a few things below, but the gist of it is that I attacked it from several different angles to get a good foundation.

The main thing folks will say is pick a project, which I fully agree with. One project I picked was making a clickable hexagon grid for an android game. Useful skills to develop include developing a vision, breaking the problem down, and finding good starting points. I started by looking at the basic API to draw custom images for android, finding code online that generates one hexagon, and tweaking it to make MxN hexagons. Then to make them clickable, I basically needed to develop inverse hexagon equations - lots of pain there, but it's great when finally it "just works". But math is up my alley; not everyone needs to do a project like that.

The thing with SQL (you'll find this with other things) is that it has several different implementations. Pick an implementation such as Postgres, MySQL or whatever, go through some basic tutorials, then start some project - a fictional inventory system is a common one. Be sure to spend time here-and-there learning where the DB fits in with a larger enterprise application. (BTW, probably start with Python, and don't put too much time into SQL unless you're specifically going for a DB admin job).

I also made a big syllabus - picked a decent school (U of MN), looked at their CS curriculum, and wrote down a list of required classes + some electives. Then for each class, I found the syllabus, which lists all the topics to study. Truth be told, I checked off only about 20% of the syllabus before getting the job, but the list alone helps expose you to the bigger picture (you notice things like SDLC and then ask what's that and why should I care?)

One more tip: when googling something or perusing StackOverflow, you'll sometimes see totally opposite answers to one question. Well, a lot of times what makes sense for one person working on a small codebase is unworkable when multiple folks work on a big codebase. So be sure to look for dissenting opinions, then try to figure out why both might be right in their own contexts.

And read the book "Clean Code" - skim through it just to get an idea of its contents, leave it for a few months while you get up to speed a bit, and then read the whole thing.

Last edited by ElectronicOverlord; 03-28-2017 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: final tweaks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment