Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 08:09 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,354 times

Advertisements

I can mow, and I want to break into the landscaping market. My selling point for now is "cheap and fast". Everybody already has somebody that mows their lawn plus all these other services I don't know how to do. I couldn't compete with them when it comes to versatility or experience, but I can mow your yard quick and cheap with my push-mower and not leave those bald spots I see in some people's yards. I can also use a leaf blower and rake leaves. My only work experience so far is being a snowball salesman (under my mom) THEN being a pharmacy technician for 3 years (working for CVS). I'm getting bored with pharmacy tech, though, and I'm looking for an extra cash flow, preferably where I am my own boss and where I don't have to report it...so definately cash-only and small transactions. Lawn-mowing is one of my many ideas.

After telling me if this is a viable side business or if I should keep brainstorming.

I'm going to be honest, I like the idea of running a business, but my mom is the one with all the business brains and I usually make bad decisions if I don't consult a lot of people first, like I'm doing now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 08:38 AM

862 posts, read 976,409 times
Here in suburban New Jersey, where you have 50 by 100 lots, I would say going rate is $25 a cut, if someone wanted it every 2 weeks I would go with a extra $5 a cut but I would not go 2 weeks in between when grass is really growing.

This is more of a part time operation, if your just going to be a 1 man cash only only type deal, I did this when I was young for beer money, can be tough when it's hot out, just have to make it clear to customer to write check to your personal name or cash preferred, and obviously you cannot have too many checks or bank may drop a dime on you, I had like 5 customers
and did them all on same day, made like a 100 bucks for the day.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:50 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
We have 1/3 acre yard and we're quoted $45., so if you charge $25-$30. for a typical yard, you'll probably get a lot of business IF you are just as reliable.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:57 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
there are other options for quick money. food deliveries, car service, flea market,glass cleaning. you also may want to consider bring an apprentice in another line of work.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:09 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
My parents pay a guy $30 to cut their failry typical small suburban yard. I pay a local kid $10 to cut mine.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:31 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Our neighbor did this, but even as a part time, one man op, he had to get a trailer, both a push mower and zero turn, blower, and trimmer. There were plenty of people who would pay to get it cut, but expected cut to include trimming and clean up after.

Even as a one man op, it came down to how fast he could work.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:07 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,354 times
I will look into some of the other ideas mentioned. I make some money from pharmacy tech, but I really don't want to take out a student loan for my masters.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:35 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I can mow, and I want to break into the landscaping market. My selling point for now is "cheap and fast". Everybody already has somebody that mows their lawn plus all these other services I don't know how to do. I couldn't compete with them when it comes to versatility or experience, but I can mow your yard quick and cheap with my push-mower and not leave those bald spots I see in some people's yards. I can also use a leaf blower and rake leaves. My only work experience so far is being a snowball salesman (under my mom) THEN being a pharmacy technician for 3 years (working for CVS). I'm getting bored with pharmacy tech, though, and I'm looking for an extra cash flow, preferably where I am my own boss and where I don't have to report it...so definately cash-only and small transactions. Lawn-mowing is one of my many ideas.

After telling me if this is a viable side business or if I should keep brainstorming.

I'm going to be honest, I like the idea of running a business, but my mom is the one with all the business brains and I usually make bad decisions if I don't consult a lot of people first, like I'm doing now.
You'd not get my business. I want a nice sharp looking lawn. if you can't make it so, then make yourself gone...

Old 03-18-2017, 12:43 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
$30 for mow only.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:59 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
I get mine mowed/edged, hedges/bushes along with tree wells trimmed for 30 bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment