Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 03:49 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,920 times

Advertisements

I am fairly good at my job. Meet deadlines, clients always rave about me, but to achieve that level of success, it definitely takes a toll. This office has a lot of turnover. In order to boost morale, HR does these silly little games and contests. Last week, it was write a spiffy little poem about how you feel about the job and the best one wins a $25 gift certificate. Basically, my poem was about how my butt hurt and how I couldn't wait to go home. My colleagues loved it, but HR wasn't pleased. Was I really out of line? If you don't want to know how I am feeling, don't ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 06:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Well, if they are going to make you participate in their silly little games, it's likely to backfire some times. Reminds me of that commercial where the head guy has to reveal that his password is "IHATEMYJOB1". I have never worked at a place where everyone, even upper management loved their job. In fact several upper executives have left for greener pastures over the last few years. I actually do love my current job but that's after over 40 years of working in jobs I was not that crazy about. Were you out of line? No, but I would have spun it as applying to that particular day when you spent more than the usual amount of time sitting. Your poem, was honest, and your management including HR probably sympathized, but it was definitely something best left unsaid - considering that it could be considered negative at future raise, promotion, or layoff time.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:07 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
they just want positive energy and a poem they could frame and be proud of..

at least you can win something...
better than nothing or scratching your butt

Old 03-19-2017, 07:45 PM

4,314 posts, read 4,000,682 times
A place I worked at would do a write up about employees who hit milestone anniversaries with the company.
One of the HR people would do it and they hardly wrote anything about the employee or any praise.

All the questions/interview was geared so it only came across as him praising the company and being so thankful to be working there.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:19 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,664,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
I am fairly good at my job. Meet deadlines, clients always rave about me, but to achieve that level of success, it definitely takes a toll. This office has a lot of turnover. In order to boost morale, HR does these silly little games and contests. Last week, it was write a spiffy little poem about how you feel about the job and the best one wins a $25 gift certificate. Basically, my poem was about how my butt hurt and how I couldn't wait to go home. My colleagues loved it, but HR wasn't pleased. Was I really out of line? If you don't want to know how I am feeling, don't ask.
Yes.

Problem is, they know morale is low, and what you did reinforced that. You've made it very easy for them to blame you for the next time unhappiness spikes. "It's that ny789987 guy spreading discontent again!"

Employers generally don't expect employees to love their jobs, just to not act like they hate it. Someone who hates their job isn't going to do a good job, will spread negativity, and may even be (unintentionally) sabotaging things.

IIWY, I'd be looking, even more so today than yesterday.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:39 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,710,004 times
Quote:
I think if they don't want to know, they shouldn't ask people to write poems. I personally wouldn't participate in this crapola.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:59 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
Quote:
I hear you, but I'd have kept my "Butt hurts" poem to myself. We have had some of those "Theme" days I refuse to join in only as I don't care to go out and buy some stupid shirt or costume just to make points with the office manager.

She complained once that I should "Join in" more and I said "Pay for my clothing and I will" she didn't care for that answer...Oh well, still employed there...

Old 03-20-2017, 12:27 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,612,280 times
Quote:
Roses are red
Violets are blue
I work here
So I don't have to be like the old woman from that nursery rhymne who lives in a shoe

But seriously, to answer your tagline question (and not really directed at you personally, but to answer the general question), I think a good baseline is to not actively proclaim dislike for a job. Or if someone does dislike their job should find a way to either change some of the most dislikable aspects of their work (no job, even self employment, is going to be perfect), or work towards making a change in their life that will make them happier concerning how they earn their living.

The poem idea is interesting, but sometimes HR can be in its own little bubble and forget the "unintended consequences" and awkwardness of its "morale boost" ideas issue. At the very least, such a contest shouldn't be mandatory.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:48 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
They do not necessarily expect everyone to "love" their jobs. They do expect people to carry themselves with positive attitudes. Hiring these days is very focused on finding people with high levels of emotional intelligence who can handle jobs that are not always fun, but remain positive and productive throughout as negativity is a drag on efficiency and productivity.

The little contests are just a light hearted attempt to have and spread some positive vibes, and to give a break to the serious grind of the day.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:20 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,586,772 times
They just expect positive attitudes and optimism. I hate those stupid games honestly but sometimes you just have to play along...

PS I thought your poem was hilarious and it would have gone over great at my job. But not at every job...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment