Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 02:43 PM

153 posts, read 115,000 times

Advertisements

Imagine for a moment wherever you work everyone knows what everyone else makes. How would you feel about it? I think it would be especially great for women and allow them to see just how little they make in comparison to men.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:45 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
work for the public sector, they are all posted

and what makes you think women make less?

Old 04-05-2017, 03:34 PM

136 posts, read 129,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphangel View Post
Imagine for a moment wherever you work everyone knows what everyone else makes. How would you feel about it? I think it would be especially great for women and allow them to see just how little they make in comparison to men.
LOL, this myth again?

When you look at absolute raw data, you do see a wage gap. This is the number that gets thrown around the media and cherished by liberals and non-critical thinkers nationwide.

What doesnt get acknowledge is the "why" of the data. Numerous researchers have looked at this question in depth, and what they have found is the gap is almost entirely due to choices in the careers that women take, the hours they work and the time off they take. It is very difficult in 2017 to find a "smoking gun"; that is, evidence that employers are preferentially paying men more money and women less money.

Here's a primer:

Harvard economist Claudia Goldin examines the gender wage gap | Harvard Magazine

Old 04-05-2017, 08:23 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
I work for state government. Anybody in the country can see what I made last year, and everybody at my agency can view the budgeted line item for the current year that is my current salary.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:44 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
State is different from private.

And based on my over 20 years experience in my industry, one of the most consistent things that caused a lot of animosity was salary. Some people were open about what they made. In one company I worked at, a glitch caused everyone's salary to be posted online. All this did was upset those who thought they were underpaid.

Bottom line, I don't care if you worked in public sector that was transparent about salaries, and I don't care if you think its OK. You don't speak for the rest of us.

Salaries should never be discussed at all at work. Period.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:58 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Bottom line, I don't care if you worked in public sector that was transparent about salaries, and I don't care if you think its OK. You don't speak for the rest of us.
Looks like I touched a nerve there. You are quite hostile over others stating personal opinions and facts that are relevant to many.

You may want to chill out and recognize the fact that you don't speak for everybody either buddy.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:19 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,870,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
State is different from private.

And based on my over 20 years experience in my industry, one of the most consistent things that caused a lot of animosity was salary. Some people were open about what they made. In one company I worked at, a glitch caused everyone's salary to be posted online. All this did was upset those who thought they were underpaid.
Maybe they were? At least they had a chance to see reality and hopefully get an answer if there was one.
You've probably never been told: "Because he has a family to support" when you asked why someone was paid more.

Maybe you never suspected you were being paid less than what you deserved. This is why some people get suspicious, past experience.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:42 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,297 times
I work for a major auto manufacturer, everyone knows what everyone else gets paid.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:03 AM

745 posts, read 480,683 times
Quote:
Imagine just everybody doing their darn job and just ****, and if they don't like what they get paid, they can go elsewhere. The women that I have worked with, do exactly that, and guess what, they often get put into higher positions because they focus on what the company needs.

And I don't believe the B.S. about women getting paid less. There is no credible info out there.

In this day and age, where everyone feels they have to be in everyone else's business, this would be a disaster for any company. And, it wouldn't necessarily be across gender lines where the anger erupts. However, in some cases, there would be women making more than an equally qualified men.

Interesting question, but the answer is NO. Horrible idea.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:41 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,296,324 times
Quote:
Taking the gender equality thing out.

Why? I don't care what other people make. And what I make is my business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment