Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 03:42 PM

2,793 posts, read 1,651,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
1. Are other people in the same line of work making the same or similar pay that you are making? A CPA or an RN make more for a reason.

2. So many people want to compare pay based on how much a woman makes compared to a man or how much a person of color makes compared to someone that is white. That is not a good indicator of a discrepancy in pay. A good indicator is looking at a given job title or position in an industry and looking at all people in that field that are working at a specific position. Judge only those that are RN's against other RN's.

3. You mention a CPA and an RN making $100,000. I work in a hospital and RN's here make the same within a given range. Color or gender do not say how much you will make. Skill level does say how much you will make. An RN with a BSN will make more than an RN without a degree. An RN that works in Critical care will make more than an RN working in Med Surge. Someone that has been on the job 10 years will make more than someone that started yesterday. Everyone has the same range of pay though. If an RN wants more money then he or she can go back to school and get a BSN or an MSN.

4. Our housekeepers make less than the RN's make. Even though they are at the same place of business it would not work to compare pay. Both positions have different training. They have different education. With one any one could become a housekeeper. With the RN only those that have the education and license can become an RN.
I added numbers to your paragraphs.

1. Actually, yes. My industry isn't known to be high pay. I do understand why CPAs and RNs make more -
post-grad degrees, passing hard tests to get licensed. I suppose it's the same as a project assistant or a daycare worker or warehouse guy comparing their pay to an RN or CPA's.

Doesn't explain why software developers or sys admins make $100K though. I know 2 guys with these jobs with only a bachelor's and they make this much.

2. We are all women and same ethnicity. But you are right that I shouldn't compare different industries to each other, only pay in the same. I didn't think of it that way, so thanks for the change in perspective.

3. The RN's friends all went to nursing school together and graduated together and now have jobs. They are all making $75K - $100K.

4. Thanks for the info. Yeah, see my comment to #1.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:23 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,535,927 times
If I work for a union, everyone knows what the negotiated salaries and hourly rates are, if it's a public sector job, we're entitled to know what we're paying people with our taxes. But, in the private sector, it's between the employee and the company, no-one else's buisness.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:23 PM

189 posts, read 177,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
If you are doing such great quality work, why can you not negotiate a raise, or find an employer who will better compensate you?
I don't have proof of what others make, other than hearsay, therefore my employer can just say that I have no evidence of being underpaid. Actually, there is a lot of rumor that I am being underpaid, but my direct manager says she can do nothing about it. My only recourse is to quit and get rehired at a later date with a higher negotiated salary. I can't realistically quit and go to another employer because my husband would have to quit his job too in order to follow me to the new job..

Old 04-07-2017, 09:32 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,245,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphangel View Post
Imagine for a moment wherever you work everyone knows what everyone else makes. How would you feel about it? I think it would be especially great for women and allow them to see just how little they make in comparison to men.

Nah. You wouldn't want that. Because it would expose the lie of the pay gap. On the other hand, if truth doesn't bother you when it goes against the ideological grain... maybe you'd love it.

But I'll up the ante and say transparency for both pay AND responsibilities and exemptions for gender. How about that? Like where I work, where women are NOT expected to do all the same things as men in real life, but they get paid the same.

Last edited by Led Zeppelin; 04-07-2017 at 09:52 PM..

Old 04-07-2017, 11:34 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,620,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
work for the public sector, they are all posted

and what makes you think women make less?
Statistics prove that. In my experience, they do.

Once I worked as a low level go-fer or clerk. When I left, they hired a guy for the job. He got paid automatically $100/more a month (this was decades ago...so think about $400 more a month now?). No reason. It was a low level job that paid what it paid. No prior experience needed. But he was male.

Statistics back that up.

The administration just repealed a new law that would require large companies to make pay accessible to all, so that women and minorities could see if they were paid less. The reason for the law is that it's almost impossible to know and prove pay discrimination without such a law. Which was the reason to repeal it.

Imagine this: You think you're paid less than everyone else with your job title at the company. But you're not sure. The law is that you can sue over that discrimination. But the Catch 22 is that you have a certain number of years in which you can sue...and it starts running from your initial date of employment.

If you find out 20 years later, you are barred from suing over it. And you're stuck with LOW SOCIAL SECURITY, because that's based on your pay. And now, the male dominated Congress wants to CUT YOUR ALREADY ILLEGALLY LOW SOCIAL SECURITY.

So the Obama administration passed the Lily Ledbetter Act. The above example is what happened to Lily. The company prevented her from knowing she was paid lower than the guys, so when she did find out, she could do nothing about it, and was stuck for the rest of her life with continuing discrimination because of low Social Security.

There are men who think this is fine, that women are worth less, and they are taking a job away from a man (who is more deserving of the job). These men will continue to profess that there is no pay discrimination, because to acknowledge that, would acknowledge that they get favored treatment. And they will never acknowledge that. They will call personal experiences to be lies, they will deny statistics. No evidence will cause them to acknowledge that they have an unearned advantage over others, and it's not solely due to them being exceptional, hard workers.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:04 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,372,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphangel View Post
Imagine for a moment wherever you work everyone knows what everyone else makes. How would you feel about it? I think it would be especially great for women and allow them to see just how little they make in comparison to men.
In the military and the gov't everyone pretty much knows. As a matter of fact, anyone can google the pay scales. The world knows.

The only thing we don't know for sure is what "step" we're on and we just ask each other.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:52 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,657,521 times
I don't think it's anyone's business what I make.

Old 04-08-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I don't think it's anyone's business what I make.
Your name isn't associated with the pay. It's transparency such that the general details of who makes what are revealed to the government, for use in determining pay discrimination (which is real). That's because there are anti-discrimination laws, but no way for an employee to know if he or she is being discriminated against. It's a catch-22.

But I think posting the pay for each individual would be a good thing. Get things out in the open, so everyone knows what is what...and which schmoozer is being overpaid while the company relies on the underpaid workhorses to really get the work done.

We'd all get used to the pay being known, if that were done. No big deal. It's the way it is in the military and government jobs.

Old 04-08-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
If I work for a union, everyone knows what the negotiated salaries and hourly rates are, if it's a public sector job, we're entitled to know what we're paying people with our taxes. But, in the private sector, it's between the employee and the company, no-one else's buisness.
I disagree, since we have anti-discriminatory laws, and the only way to know if you're being discriminated against is to know the salaries that others in your rank are getting.

Does it make sense to have anti-discriminatory laws regarding wages, and a statute of limitations past which you can't claim back wages, if there's no way to know if you're being discriminated against? No.

Old 04-08-2017, 03:27 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,657,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Your name isn't associated with the pay. It's transparency such that the general details of who makes what are revealed to the government, for use in determining pay discrimination (which is real). That's because there are anti-discrimination laws, but no way for an employee to know if he or she is being discriminated against. It's a catch-22.

But I think posting the pay for each individual would be a good thing. Get things out in the open, so everyone knows what is what...and which schmoozer is being overpaid while the company relies on the underpaid workhorses to really get the work done.

We'd all get used to the pay being known, if that were done. No big deal. It's the way it is in the military and government jobs.
No it's not a good thing. It creates whining jealousy and resentment. Pretty soon you'll have the "well Andy gets paid way too much" "Susan doesnt really deserve that much pay. She doesn't do anything"
Don't like your pay? Walk in and demand more. If they say no then go elsewhere.

Sorry but your bolded response is such bs. If the "underpaid workhorse" is unhappy or feels underpaid he is free to go somewhere else where he will be paid his "worth". That's what I did. I was the underpaid work horse. I didn't need to know everyone's pay. It was a family run business. I knew I could do better elsewhere. So I got another job, negotiated my own pay and walked in my old shop and quit. Just like that.

And I am highly paid. And I'm not a schmoozer. Hell I think I don't have a total of 16 hours in the shop this year. I know five people in our management. The big boss, the VIP and the payroll girl and my PMs.
I dint hang with coworkers on weekends or party with them.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 04-08-2017 at 03:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment