Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 06:46 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,476,888 times

Advertisements

NLRB protects most who DO openly discuss, contingent on the entity....exempt are municipal govt and religious schools. OTherwise Chat away with one another, Nothing like being above board with your salary....
Most employers wish this hadn't happen, because it puts the employee on the same playing field should they wish to negotiate salary....(and yes....sometimes cite discrimination).

you are also at liberty to not discuss it...its called a choice now verses a mandate to be fired if you did discuss in the workplace...

Old 04-06-2017, 07:05 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,816,542 times
Slippery slope, after implementing such as big government initiative, before you know it "social justice warriors" will be demanding that big government force everyone to disclose in searchable databases:
The square footage of your house and how many people live there
How many times you go to the bathroom a day and for how many minutes
How you spend your income relative to others
How much of your spending is on "necessities" vs "luxuries" (as defined by big government)

And the bloody communists will have won without firing a shot.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:28 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,130,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphangel View Post
Imagine for a moment wherever you work everyone knows what everyone else makes. How would you feel about it? I think it would be especially great for women and allow them to see just how little they make in comparison to men.
Who exactly would mandate and enforce such a policy?
I worked in sales for 25-years and everyone knew what each made.
It was posted.
It's called motivation.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:43 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,966,337 times
I would love to see what all the execs make, as they justify reducing raises and cutting/eliminating bonuses for everyone else.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:52 AM

136 posts, read 129,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
As a government employee I know how much me, my peers, my boss, my subordinates, and everyone around me makes. I can tell how much someone makes by their uniform. You know what? Males and females make EXACTLY the same thing.

This works if there is a non-negotiable tiered structure, like the government or some unions. But not in the private sector where salaries vary widely.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:13 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,005,744 times
People that suspect they're underpaid despite having the same qualifications and performing at the same level (women, people of color etc.) would probably be open to more transparency.

Those that know (way, way deep down) they're making a little more because they "look" like the boss, schmooze better and have been successful negotiators will want to keep their salaries private. I may be wrong, but that's my hunch. The underdog isn't scared of conflict because they already know they're losing...or at least THINK they're losing. The person that knows they're on top doesn't want to upset the apple cart.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:18 PM

2,792 posts, read 1,647,873 times
Personally, no. I don't have the mental ability to handle a high-paying job, and I already feel like crap knowing I make $40K in California while my CPA and RN family members make $100K.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:54 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,372,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
That would end up being a legal nightmare if people from unprotected demographic groups ended up outperforming, and therefore getting paid more than, people belonging to protected groups. And don't think pointing at the raw productivity numbers would shield you from those legal ramifications. That's not how it works.
In sales the people that perform make the money. Pay is production based. The more you produce the more you make.

I remember reading about Jack Welch at GE. He would fire the bottom performing 10% of managers each year and give the top 20% bonuses and stock options. Your job was performance based. Under his leadership GE went from a $12 billion company to a $280 billion company.

It is amazing that companies work to keep their lower performing people on staff. It is amazing that laws would ever be in place to protect slothfulness in the work place.

The only protected groups that should be in business are those that perform. At the very least an employee has to bring three times the value that they are getting paid. They are not there to take up space.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:10 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,372,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Personally, no. I don't have the mental ability to handle a high-paying job, and I already feel like crap knowing I make $40K in California while my CPA and RN family members make $100K.
Are other people in the same line of work making the same or similar pay that you are making? A CPA or an RN make more for a reason.

So many people want to compare pay based on how much a woman makes compared to a man or how much a person of color makes compared to someone that is white. That is not a good indicator of a discrepancy in pay. A good indicator is looking at a given job title or position in an industry and looking at all people in that field that are working at a specific position. Judge only those that are RN's against other RN's.

You mention a CPA and an RN making $100,000. I work in a hospital and RN's here make the same within a given range. Color or gender do not say how much you will make. Skill level does say how much you will make. An RN with a BSN will make more than an RN without a degree. An RN that works in Critical care will make more than an RN working in Med Surge. Someone that has been on the job 10 years will make more than someone that started yesterday. Everyone has the same range of pay though. If an RN wants more money then he or she can go back to school and get a BSN or an MSN.

Our housekeepers make less than the RN's make. Even though they are at the same place of business it would not work to compare pay. Both positions have different training. They have different education. With one any one could become a housekeeper. With the RN only those that have the education and license can become an RN.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:46 PM

1,110 posts, read 898,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
work for the public sector, they are all posted

and what makes you think women make less?
The public sector has longevity, qualifications, grade level and promotions. You are less likely to feel underpaid in relation to your peers.

longevity - number of years in the position
qualifications - background (degree, license, experience, etc)
grade level - degree of complexity of position that warrants a specific salary
promotions - moving to a job that pays more

However, there is still discrimination (not getting hired initially, or not being promoted)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment