Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 07:17 PM

141 posts, read 105,102 times

Advertisements

This is one of my main annoyances and I made a video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WEC7dx_s7o

What do you guys think about people not fully paying attention in a meeting? It seems like they become more inefficient because stuff is constantly repeated and nobody is paying attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 07:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,568 posts, read 81,147,605 times
For many meetings it seems like it won't matter, they are often useless. For mine, I stick to an agenda and get it over with, usually before the allotted time. If I see anyone on their phone I call them out. The best way is to ask that person what I or someone else just said.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
For many meetings it seems like it won't matter, they are often useless. For mine, I stick to an agenda and get it over with, usually before the allotted time. If I see anyone on their phone I call them out. The best way is to ask that person what I or someone else just said.
That is definitely a good way to do that. Typically I'm not leading meetings so I don't have much of a say or I'd be calling out my boss. I just notice it seems meetings could easily be 1/4 of the time if everyone just came in with a pad of paper and pen and gave their full attention.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:44 PM

100 posts, read 61,603 times
I get phones, but laptops could be to take notes or to bring relevant (or saved) info to the topic.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:47 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
it's rude...

but aside from the perception of it, people don't need a phone/laptop to zone out and not pay attention, so what difference does it make?

you planning on giving them a quiz at the end of it? make it like college with attendance and participation points?

easier to explain to people to respect the work place/meeting and if they have something to do, then it can wait 10-15 minutes

Old 03-31-2017, 07:57 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,405,904 times
I'm working on two major projects, plus I have my regular work to do so I'm in meetings all day everyday. At least 6-8 meetings a day, sometimes 10, sometimes double booked. This is pretty much the norm for my department. Yes, while we're in meetings we're also on our laptops doing work, otherwise the work wouldn't get done. Since this is normal for my department, no one gets upset if something has to be repeated. I've learned to listen for keywords which prompt me to pay attention, or if I hear my name then I'll perk up.
Friday is my easy day. I only have 4 meetings.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG17 View Post
I get phones, but laptops could be to take notes or to bring relevant (or saved) info to the topic.
In my video, I talk about this. Take notes on a pad of paper. Maybe have 1 designated minutes\notes taker. I always just show up to meetings with my pad of paper and pen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
?
you planning on giving them a quiz at the end of it? make it like college with attendance and participation points?
No, but a good meeting should have everyone on the same page and action items for everyone to accomplish between the next meeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
I'm working on two major projects, plus I have my regular work to do so I'm in meetings all day everyday. At least 6-8 meetings a day, sometimes 10, sometimes double booked. This is pretty much the norm for my department. Yes, while we're in meetings we're also on our laptops doing work, otherwise the work wouldn't get done. Since this is normal for my department, no one gets upset if something has to be repeated. I've learned to listen for keywords which prompt me to pay attention, or if I hear my name then I'll perk up.
Friday is my easy day. I only have 4 meetings.
This is the trap I'm talking about. If meetings were efficient, you'd have less of them and could actually work undistracted on the projects.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:00 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,923 times
My boss makes us crazy with her behavior in meetings. We have a weekly meeting, it could be 20 minutes if she actually paid attention, but she has her cell phone and her watch that flashes her text messages, and she is constantly drifting off as something more interesting catches her eye. It's rude as hell. We're each giving reports, and then we see her eye drift to her phone, and she'll suddenly hold up her hand and say, "Oh, wait, I need to get this . . . " and it's just a text that could have easily waited 15 minutes. We're not doing brain surgery, here -- it's real estate, very few emergencies that won't wait 15 minutes. Yet, we aren't allowed to have phones because she says they are "distracting". We tried to talk to her, and point out that the "no phone" ban needed to be observed by everyone, but she got huffy and implied that any text message she received was more important than anything we had -- even though I know her daughter is her chief distracter, sending photos of grandchildren and arranging for afternoon babysitting gigs, etc.) I've worked with her for a long time, so I was able to suggest that she needed to set a good example by not bringing her cell phone to meetings, but she was pretty dismissive that her cell phone behavior was a problem in meetings. She thinks she's multi-tasking -- but in reality, she's prioritizing, and making it clear that this meeting isn't a priority -- so why are we wasting our time?

Old 04-01-2017, 07:34 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsivetravelerguy View Post
In my video, I talk about this. Take notes on a pad of paper. Maybe have 1 designated minutes\notes taker. I always just show up to meetings with my pad of paper and pen.
Sorry, but I am taking notes on my laptop. If I'd take notes on paper, I'd have to transfer them to my computer later, and that's inefficient. I have too much to do to be retyping notes.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Sorry, but I am taking notes on my laptop. If I'd take notes on paper, I'd have to transfer them to my computer later, and that's inefficient. I have too much to do to be retyping notes.
From retaining what is said, taking notes on paper is actually better: https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...with-a-laptop/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment