Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 03:54 PM

901 posts, read 748,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
This all makes perfect sense, but it is also perfectly irrelevant.

The OP isn't complaining that they NEED to hire his daughter.

He's complaining that his daughter is applying to no-skill jobs that literally 90% of the population could perform with ease, including his daughter, yet the businesses are STILL claiming they are hiring without contacting perfectly good candidates that they ALREADY have applications from.
Seriously, so many assumptions made. How do you know they are getting "perfectly good candidates? How do you know that these businesses still are not hiring? Businesses CAN HIRE WHO THEY WANT TO. If you don't meet THEIR standards, then there is absolutely nothing to complain about. Geez, the entitlement is sickening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 07:23 PM

2,504 posts, read 1,881,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

I'm sure all employers are not the same. I am sure some employers have legitimate reasons for leaving those signs up. However, some are playing games. I knew an assistant manager at a retail outlet one time who told me that his company viewed a large bank of employment applications as a sort of "insurance policy". The idea was that if they ever got into a situation where they had high turnover that they would just start calling names on this list. The people filling out these applications had no idea that their prospects of being hired were really quite dismal. Employers aren't obligated to hire employees they don't need, but this kind of lack of honesty is appalling.
If people filling out an applications today don't know that their prospect of being hired is "really quite dismal", then they aren't exactly in touch with the modern-day reality of employment. If one job has five hundred applicants, then the prospect can only be described as dismal (odds 500:1.....if the application was a race horse, somebody would have shot it post haste.) Maybe not as dismal as winning the lottery, but dismal none the less.

And you actually called asking why they didn't interview your daughter? Wow. Just wow. My daughter would have never forgiven me for embarrassing her.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:11 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,178,158 times
Quote:
My daughter recently was hired for a job that she will primarily work this summer in a local pizzeria. She is seventeen and I am grateful she got this job.

What I want to talk about though is what she went through getting this job. She filled out an application either in person or in line for no fewer than a dozen companies who had signs posted saying "We are Hiring".

I have learned these signs don't mean much. Some employers put these signs up and attempt to collect hundreds of applications for a few positions. Than they rigorously screen the applicants. Some employers require completion of tests, multiple interviews, and a reference check. These are for jobs working in fast food that pay a little above minimum wage to start. Perhaps, one out of a hundred applicants is actually hired.

Other employers never even bothered to interview her. Yet, they still have signs outside saying "We are Hiring". I asked one of the managers at one of these establishments two weeks after she submitted her application if they planned on interviewing my daughter. All I got for my troubles was a lot of double talk.

One employer is a nearby amusement park. I kind of laugh, a little bitterly. When they were young I paid for both my children to have a pass to this park. When my children got to be the age where they needed a job, they both applied. Both were denied positions at the park. A form letter is usually sent telling everyone who applied that they get large numbers of applications and only hire a few employees. Ok. If that is true though, than why do they still have their sign out front that says: "We are Hiring"?

Don't get me wrong. No one has to give my daughter a job and I am glad she found one. However, an applicant's time should be considered worth something too. If an employer does not intend to hire they shouldn't be taking applications and have signs up that falsely claim they are hiring. Or, if the process is really, really selective, than how about telling applicants that when they get an application?

The truth is some employers treat applicants more like cattle than as human beings.
You want your daughter to be entitled? Or do you feel you are entitled?

Old 04-01-2017, 04:28 AM

7,893 posts, read 11,435,471 times
OP you are off the ranch. If an employer has one job opening it has to find someone to fill that one job. They say they are hiring and request applications when one job is to be filled. What should they do say we are hiring one? Hiring one is hiring. Getting a job is work as is creating one job anywhere doing anything.

How dare that amusement park take your money for passes and not hire your kids? If you didn't like the bargain you had of a paid for pass for entry, it didn't say pay for a pass and your kids will get hired whether they are the best candidate or not did it?

Whimpy

Old 04-01-2017, 07:26 AM

14,432 posts, read 14,362,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
You want your daughter to be entitled? Or do you feel you are entitled?
I can see my posts went completely over your head.

I've noticed you can't write a post complaining about any aspect of employment without someone screaming you are acting "entitled" or a "crybaby" or whatever. I do wonder about those who feel compelled to defend virtually any action an employer takes. Especially those who respond with personal insults.

What I'm really doing is suggesting that employers ought to observe certain ethics in the hiring process.

1. If you don't really intend to hire don't post a sign that says "We are Hiring".

2. If you are hiring one out of 300 applicants, have the decency to tell applicants who actually come in to apply that the competition for the job is extreme and only a really well qualified applicant stands a chance.

3. If you are only collecting applications as a sort of "insurance policy" in case employees quit or are terminated, than tell prospective employees that no jobs are immediately available.

I don't advocate passing a law requiring any of these things. I just suggest that is common decency to act this way. Sadly, common decency is a quality that is increasingly short supply in our society.

Thank heavens, I work for myself and don't have to put up with this nonsense.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:11 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,076,690 times
Quote:
What I'm really doing is suggesting that employers ought to observe certain ethics in the hiring process.
Ethics and common courtesy are good, and this forum can be a bit harsh at times, but you also don't understand the reality of the situation.

Quote:
1. If you don't really intend to hire don't post a sign that says "We are Hiring".
It really depends on the establishment. Entry level retail has high turnover, and not hiring can turn into hiring almost instantly. If a manager doesn't have a fresh stack if applicants available, then the lag between people abruptly quitting and getting new people on board can be lengthy. I am not a fan of this practice myself, but it does make sense.

Quote:
2. If you are hiring one out of 300 applicants, have the decency to tell applicants who actually come in to apply that the competition for the job is extreme and only a really well qualified applicant stands a chance.
What mechanism do you propose for this? Most employees at a store will not know how many people are being hired or how many applicants there are. Even as a manager I never bothered to count the number of applications I received. Trying to contact each person and give them the odds of being hired would also be such a burden to the manager that nothing else could be done.
Quote:

3. If you are only collecting applications as a sort of "insurance policy" in case employees quit or are terminated, than tell prospective employees that no jobs are immediately available.
Reasonable. I would fell people who asked that we were accepting applications for future consideration.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:54 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,671,635 times
Being entitlement-minded is like being crazy... crazy people don't know they're crazy. They believe they're sane, the things they see and hear are real, and everyone else is deluded. Same is true here. No point in arguing with OP any more... he's right, the rest of the world is wrong, nobody can say otherwise... and he's still just going to have to learn how to deal with it. Sad.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:22 AM

14,432 posts, read 14,362,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Being entitlement-minded is like being crazy... crazy people don't know they're crazy. They believe they're sane, the things they see and hear are real, and everyone else is deluded. Same is true here. No point in arguing with OP any more... he's right, the rest of the world is wrong, nobody can say otherwise... and he's still just going to have to learn how to deal with it. Sad.
There is indeed no point in arguing with someone who misunderstands the whole thread. You still apparently think I am only talking about my daughter. It is not the sign of someone who is very broad-minded.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:38 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 22 hours ago)

16,087 posts, read 21,209,403 times
I do notice that you approach this topic as though most applicants are walks in, you want the applicant told this that or the other. Given that the majority of applications are done online or at a computer station in store it means that most applicants never have contact with the hiring mgr unless/until they are selected for an interview.
I suppose if it is that important to know then you need to be proactive and seek out the hiring mgr and ask if they have available openings. TBH when we have an applicant ask, the usual answer is "We don't have anything at the moment but that could change at anytime, we will keep your application on file for xx number of days. If you haven't heard anything back by then please feel free to submit another application". Trying to do that with every applicant, that would be time consuming and not very realistic, especially in the spring when practically every high school and college kid in the country suddenly realizes they want a summer job and applications start flooding in.
And last but not least our applications go into a shared system, so even though the store you showed an interest in may not have an opening the store across town might need someone, and that application might be pulled for review by the hiring mgr there.
Putting in an application is and has always been a shot in the dark, back in ye olden days when I was young it was standard to put in a few dozen applications with the hope that you would get lucky and and get at least a few call backs, this isn't a recent phenomenon.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:07 PM

2,704 posts, read 2,771,599 times
I definitely know where you're coming from OP.

The hiring system these days is backwards. Years ago they used to train. Now hou have to be a purple squirrel to be given a chance. They post hiring signs and yet they're extremely picky on who they want.

I've been through this crap but thankfully things are turning around for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment