Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 03:06 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The thread title asks why a bonus is included as compensation. Do you think it ISN'T compensation?
i always thought that compensation was agreed upon definite salary and benefits. and bonus was sometimes given only if the employer feels nice that year and the amount was whatever they felt like.

kinda' like a tip at a restaurant; the cost of the meal is non-negotiable but the amount to tip is flexible. (except when i've been to restaurants with only me and a date and the check was service-compris; which sux because if the service is lousy they already have my 18%).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 03:09 PM

10,761 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i always thought that compensation was agreed upon definite salary and benefits. and bonus was sometimes given only if the employer feels nice that year and the amount was whatever they felt like.

kinda' like a tip at a restaurant; the cost of the meal is non-negotiable but the amount to tip is flexible. (except when i've been to restaurants with only me and a date and the check was service-compris; which sux because if the service is lousy they already have my 18%).
Compensation is ALL remuneration that you receive in exchange for the work that you do. The other option would be for it to be a gift.

So, did your boss give you a gift, or did he compensate you for your labor?

Old 03-31-2017, 04:44 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
A 5% bonus all at once packs a bigger punch than getting it weekly in your regular check so is more of an incentive.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:33 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Compensation is ALL remuneration that you receive in exchange for the work that you do. The other option would be for it to be a gift.

So, did your boss give you a gift, or did he compensate you for your labor?
i always thought that a christmas bonus was a gift. thats why its weird for me to see it on my comp statement like its expected earnd salary.
maybe my premise is wrong on this one ?

Old 03-31-2017, 05:36 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,190,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Companies give bonuses instead of raises because raises are permanent and incur ongoing fringe costs (Social Security being one).

My former school system would also do this. We'd get a longevity "bonus" in lieu of, usually, contracted COLAs or steps (in Maryland school systems are permitted to suspend those). The most we got one year was $750, the lowest was $250.
Employers need to take out for Social Security and Medicare and pay the employer portion on all cash based "bonuses".

Old 03-31-2017, 05:37 PM

10,761 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
i always thought that a christmas bonus was a gift. thats why its weird for me to see it on my comp statement like its expected earnd salary.
Nope. If you weren't doing the work, would you get the Christmas bonus? Of course not. It isn't a gift.

Expected versus unexpected has nothing to do with it.

Edited to add: Look at post #25 above. If the bonus was a gift, there would be no need for there to be any income or payroll taxes associated with it.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:54 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Employers need to take out for Social Security and Medicare and pay the employer portion on all cash based "bonuses".

Yes, I knew that.

My point was that a bonus is not necessarily recurring so giving one instead of, or in place of, a raise minimizes downstream costs.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 03-31-2017 at 06:15 PM..

Old 03-31-2017, 09:16 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
-Defer payment
-Diminish "payroll" obligations
-Hire employees who are worth more for less up front cost
-Not subject to the same legal obligations as payroll
-Typically not payable if an employee leaves before payout
-Payout subject to numbers that can often be altered depending on year/needs/etc.
-Easier to back out (de facto pay cut) as bonuses are usually defined, but not guaranteed

Old 04-01-2017, 09:24 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,249,611 times
I tend not to look at the total compensation. it's almost always double of what the salary is. For me, the bonus is a nice surprise because I always only focus on the take home pay.

I got a pro-rated bonus this year having only worked 3 months before the end of the year. Since I've never received a bonus in my working life this was a great perk.

I also got restricted stock units which don't have value until 3 years later.

I'm looking forward to next years bonus.

You can always tell when bonuses are paid because there are suddenly all these new cars in the parking lot. The higher ups get bonuses well north of $40k or so I've been told.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:06 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:

If it's on your pay statement then it's a "taxable gift".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment