Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 05:21 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,757,021 times

Advertisements

OP, sure glad you got out of there!! I saw your last thread, very crazy!!

My employer closed his business at the end of December. I went on one interview and realized the pay here is much less, as we moved from one state to another last year (I worked remotely). SO, I'm taking advantage of unemployment as I am also in my 40's and have never done that before! My income was secondary to my husbands so I plan to go back to work in the fall. Taking the summer off to spend with my kids! In the meantime I'm getting my home organized and decorated. I'm also volunteering at my daughters school. I've started an exercise routine and started to read books that I didn't have time for when I was working. I obviously surf the internet, lol and when I'm really bored I look to see what types of jobs are available in my area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 07:21 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,292,077 times
If I was in this situation, I would concentrate on working out. Walk a lot, try to start a new running program, get some yoga going. Spend more time on cooking and eating healthy. Re-establish some good habits that tend to fall to the wayside when crazy-busy at work. It has the added bonus of making you feel good about yourself and confident for interviews.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:40 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,436,154 times
Get a dog! Take him for walks, to the park, etc. A great way to get out of the house and some exercise, and get your mind off yourself! Only problem, who takes care of dog when you do land a job? Oh, well, something to think about....

Old 04-07-2017, 11:13 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,226,095 times
I would look for another job while you still have a little money can might be able to be picky

Old 04-08-2017, 06:34 AM

863 posts, read 980,959 times
My friend went to the gym everyday for like 3 hours when he was unemployed.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:49 AM

17,419 posts, read 22,168,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
One thing I would do, being in Houston, is check out any local museums, libraries, or anything that has to be done during daytime working hours, but doesn't cost a lot of money, you've always wanted to do but never had time for.

I like baseball and baseball games are time consuming. If I was out of work in an MLB, I'd go to a lot of baseball games. You can get Reds balcony tickets for under $10 a lot of times, and parking in downtown Cincinnati can be under $5 if you're willing to walk a bit.
If I was unemployed I would try to catch those games on TV for FREE! No $6 hotdogs and $10 beers at my house either!

Old 04-08-2017, 10:58 AM

18,550 posts, read 15,626,944 times
Make a web site, create work samples, write, connect to new people...

Old 04-08-2017, 12:02 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,284,784 times
get a hair cut and get a real job...get it together like your big brother bob

Old 04-08-2017, 04:22 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,487,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
No, I'm not talking about the obvious thing, which is looking for a job. As people may remember from my last thread,

Illegal Activity at Work

I listened to posters, so I'm not working there anymore. I decided to bail before the SHTF and I got caught in the imminent legal maelstrom. So I'm at the in between stage where I have a little money, lots of time, and no idea what to do with it. I'd like to spend that time wisely before I'm dead broke and HAVE to get a new job. So what did you do when you were unemployed? How did you spend the time?
I went through more of my backlogs of my video games, TV shows, and movies.

I do stuff that was only possible when you don't have to work. Example include discounts for food, shows (movies), or entertainment, like lunch specials that I could never make my way across town while working, watching bargain matinees at the theatre, or visiting a mall or to friends' houses now that I don't have to fight traffic.

Worked on some projects (e.g. programming projects, write reviews, etc.)

Old 04-08-2017, 04:37 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,355,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
go to mexico?

why post in work section when it isn't work related?

Well aren't you just a breath of fresh air - feel better now that you told her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment