Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 11:10 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,459,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I made looking for a job my full-time job.
Ditto!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 11:23 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,059,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
No, I'm not talking about the obvious thing, which is looking for a job. As people may remember from my last thread,

Illegal Activity at Work

I listened to posters, so I'm not working there anymore. I decided to bail before the SHTF and I got caught in the imminent legal maelstrom. So I'm at the in between stage where I have a little money, lots of time, and no idea what to do with it. I'd like to spend that time wisely before I'm dead broke and HAVE to get a new job. So what did you do when you were unemployed? How did you spend the time?
I'm going through this right now. My advice is just try to remain relevant. Try ot act like your going to work, network with other people, reevaluate your current network. Go to job fairs. Out of all the job fairs I have been to in the past two months. I have received 4 interviews and 2 offers. Pay is too low for one job, and the other requires me to obtain an life insurance license which I'm going through right now. Looking for a job is very stressful, and loosing a job can be grim and cause plenty of depression. What helped me go through a job loss is having hobbies like flying a drone, going to the gym and playing video games.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:26 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,794,549 times
I'd have stayed and applied elsewhere, but too late.

But when unemployed, I'd go and hit the library (Heck I STILL do it while employed on my free time) read some books, web surf and generally kill 3-4 hours.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:29 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,975,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I made looking for a job my full-time job.
I respectfully disagree. Looking for a job should not be a full time job. It has never been a full time job, at least not for me. I have been lucky to secure a position quickly, even if it wasn't my dream position. I'm 40 years old and tired of being responsible all the time. I have a little time to be irresponsible and have fun, and I intend to hop to it. Life is too short to spend 40 hours a week working or looking for a job until you're dead.

I appreciate the suggestions. There are some beautiful museums here, and gorgeous gardens and parks. Continuing education and volunteering are always a good thing. My wife and I planned a road trip to NC for June, but we think we'll do it sooner before I have to get another job and can't take a vacation for a while. Oh, and there's always binge watching on Netflix. Those shows won't watch themselves

Old 04-07-2017, 12:11 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,303,360 times
Quote:
No, I'm not talking about the obvious thing, which is looking for a job. As people may remember from my last thread,

I listened to posters, so I'm not working there anymore. I decided to bail before the SHTF and I got caught in the imminent legal maelstrom. So I'm at the in between stage where I have a little money, lots of time, and no idea what to do with it. I'd like to spend that time wisely before I'm dead broke and HAVE to get a new job. So what did you do when you were unemployed? How did you spend the time?
I did freelance work doing transcription. I dedicated about 20 hours a week to doing transcription while also looking for work. I also did freelance design work for a friend of mine in a start-up commercial real estate company.

I probably worked 25 hours a week doing those things, and spent the remainder of my free time looking for permanent work and raising my kids (we pulled them from daycare when I lost my job in order to save money).

I would say if you have ANY skills that can allow you to work from home, consider doing it while you look for a new job. As for me, I don't really NEED to have a second job, but I'm thinking about finding a customer service rep job that allows me to take customer service calls at home in the evenings a couple nights a week, no more than 10 hours a week. It wouldn't pay much, but I would consider it "pocket money" and it's better than sitting on the sofa just watching TV.

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. Looking for a job should not be a full time job. It has never been a full time job, at least not for me. I have been lucky to secure a position quickly, even if it wasn't my dream position. I'm 40 years old and tired of being responsible all the time. I have a little time to be irresponsible and have fun, and I intend to hop to it. Life is too short to spend 40 hours a week working or looking for a job until you're dead.

I appreciate the suggestions. There are some beautiful museums here, and gorgeous gardens and parks. Continuing education and volunteering are always a good thing. My wife and I planned a road trip to NC for June, but we think we'll do it sooner before I have to get another job and can't take a vacation for a while. Oh, and there's always binge watching on Netflix. Those shows won't watch themselves
Oh, you aren't talking about what to do while looking for work, but what to do to enjoy the time off you have? Two different animals.

But watch out - it'll be easy to get into the habit of doing all the fun stuff and next thing you know your money is gone AND you don't have a job to get more...

Old 04-07-2017, 01:34 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,767,823 times
I did my writing on the side and worked on some art.

I also made it a mission to search for work.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:42 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,011,493 times
Quote:
While I hope this is true for you, it's very foolish to assume it will always remain so.

On topic - maybe you can explore some new hobbies. Things you wouldn't normally do. You never know what you might stumble upon.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:06 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,813,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
What helped me go through a job loss is having hobbies like flying a drone, going to the gym and playing video games.
That helped me for a while and it looks like that will be good for the OP but it's becoming more difficult to do in my case. I often feel like I don't deserve to have fun even though I know I've tried really hard to think of ways to make myself more marketable and I have spent a lot of time on earning money online.

In all honesty I don't even feel like I should be on here posting so I won't even look on here for one day but then I'll come back because I don't know what to do with myself.

Quote:

You're right but sometimes it seems like you have to when you don't know how to market yourself. I wouldn't know how to spend so much time on it though in a tangible sense. I get overwhelmed when I look at job listings but I spend a lot of time thinking about it and how I can market myself better. I have been looking in the actual paper more often though because someone brings me the paper to look on occasion.
Vacationing is always good if you can afford it especially since in your case you just want to enjoy yourself. I think I was a lot less depressed when I went to San Diego..downside is I didn't really want to go home except to pick up my dogs and take them back with me. I believe that unless you're the type of person that hates travel everyone should strive on traveling at least once a year. It is good for the brain explore new places and get out of your hometown even if it's just domestic travel.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:43 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,975,405 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
You're right but sometimes it seems like you have to when you don't know how to market yourself. I wouldn't know how to spend so much time on it though in a tangible sense. I get overwhelmed when I look at job listings but I spend a lot of time thinking about it and how I can market myself better. I have been looking in the actual paper more often though because someone brings me the paper to look on occasion.
Vacationing is always good if you can afford it especially since in your case you just want to enjoy yourself. I think I was a lot less depressed when I went to San Diego..downside is I didn't really want to go home except to pick up my dogs and take them back with me. I believe that unless you're the type of person that hates travel everyone should strive on traveling at least once a year. It is good for the brain explore new places and get out of your hometown even if it's just domestic travel.

I agree. Travel is wonderful. There are so many great places out there and there is not enough time to discover all of them. Keeping current on what's happening in the field is a good idea also. I'm in the medical field and rapid technological changes force us to keep up with the newest developments. I never even thought about job fairs. That might be a good way to network.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:23 PM

106 posts, read 122,537 times
If you don't have a prescription for an anti-depressant, get one now. Buckle up, unemployment is a bumpy ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment