Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:19 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times

Advertisements

You can be fired for any reason, and it is more likely if your boss doesn't like you. You definitely increase your risk if you call in sick and go to the beach that day. I heard of one company that would not pay sick time on Monday or Friday without a doctor's note!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 05:20 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
At my last job, everyone was getting the flu and coming in to work. It was very busy at that time, and people were showing up pale as ghosts, looking much like zombies, and working all the overtime they could none the less. I did the same thing, although I probably shouldn't have done so.

For 5 months, I did not take a single day off, leave early, refuse overtime... Till one day, the weather forecast was calling for an intense blizzard with up to 8-9 inches of snow. I told my supervisor I would most like not be in the following morning, as my car can not make it through that much snow. His response was, "well do anything you can to get here". Anyways, I decided that no job is worth wrecking my car to show up to, and called in. 2 weeks later, I got the layoff notice. None the less, my supervisor was fair enough to vouch for me as a reference, so I don't have any hard feelings about the whole thing.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:42 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Some horrible stories. We can use sick time without question.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:43 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Some horrible stories. We can use sick time without question.
most employees can use sick time, it's ABUSING the sick time you have that can get you fired

Old 07-09-2011, 06:45 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,174 times
Some people just expect you to come into work regardless, and its unfortunate that those types always make management.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:03 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,412 times
I remember one night after about a month at my current job and after fighting off bronchitis for a week I just could not make it ONE NIGHT I called in and the next day on the phone got the third degree over the phone from the admin. She also made some rather passive agressive remark about how I had gotten over it rather quickly..heck lady I had been at work everynight from the git go and even worked with that stuff. I didn't say I was over it I just said I would be at work. I HAVE to be at work no matter what I have NO back up whatsoever<I am the only one on the graveyard shift> although the rest of the staff do. One of the many reasons I am actively looking for another job.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:39 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I had a job, where you did not get sick leave until the third day, with a doctor's note.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:21 PM

9 posts, read 37,023 times
Default It Depends on the Company

I used to work for a company where my boss was very mean. We had "sick pay". Meaning that we could get our pay if we called in sick, like 7 a year. But it was common knowledge that they (the management) did not like anyone to use their sick pay. When I'd call in my boss would be....for lack of a better work, b i t c h y and difficult and rude on the phone. She later fired me for something unrelated. So it depends on the boss.

Years ago I worked for a very very large and well-known company. We had 7 day per year of paid sick time. And like 5 days per year of paid personal time off. I had great supes and managers. Once I was at work with a sore throat. My supervisor told me to go home. Because his vacation was coming up and he didn't want to be sick for it.

It depends on the particular policies of a company and work place. And since California is an "at will" State, it means that any employer can terminate their employees for any reason, at any time. And the same goes for the employee.

Last edited by Cinamin46; 07-18-2011 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-18-2011, 09:59 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,386 times
A lot of these stories seem like the people who were let go, really just did not fit into the culture of the company they were working for.

Others, seem like they were just in a hard luck situation and worked for a terrible boss. Either way it is important to make sure you understand what is expected of you to avoid these issues.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:42 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,643 times
Much depends on the health of your supervisor/boss. If your boss is the kind of dynamo who never calls in sick, you probably won't get much sympathy if you're sick.

My immediate supervisor often ends his scheduling emails with "stay healthy," especially in December when a lot of people use their vacation time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment