Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2017, 05:23 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times

Advertisements

I had a manager who scolded me once for saying 'yeah' instead of yes. I remember exiting shortly thereafter. This was in casual conversation. Later I checked. The doors to their business folded. Karma?

Old 04-29-2017, 05:23 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
I say sure all the time. I never even considered it to be a problem.

You need a job with more chill OP. Sure, in my mind, in this context means "it's not a problem," or "that is good with me."

Old 04-29-2017, 07:10 PM

6,119 posts, read 4,609,858 times
The only proper response is "Without prejudice, I hereby fully affirm my incontrovertible commitment to the task, Your Majesty."

Anything less would be disrespectful, according to many of the preceding posters.

OP, if this supervisor is someone you're going to have communicate with regularly, and this is a pattern, rather than an isolated, odd response, you have my sympathy. You may want to seriously consider a change for your own sanity if this is or becomes a pattern.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:26 PM

102 posts, read 79,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
It makes sense now. This is your first time working outside the home? With a little more real world experience, I'm sure you'll catch on. Keep us posted!
LOL NO. I have been working since I was 14. This is the first time I have ever been scolded for using a word in a text message though.

Catch on to what? It is one word. Some wacky responses here...

Old 04-29-2017, 07:27 PM

102 posts, read 79,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
Honestly, it doesn't matter. What matters is your boss doesn't like it, so you need to stop using it. I think it's too slangy for a professional conversation, up there with "huh" & "yeah", but IDK if OP works at McDonald's or a professional office. OTOH, I understand it was text & text is informal. However, even in text, "yes" would have been less to type than "sure" & sounds more professional.

What concerns me more is the OP's attitude here that she is right & anyone who disagrees with her is wrong. I'm sure that attitude reflects in her job & it will be noticed. I recently complained about a situation with a receptionist who started screaming at me, to my doctor (who is more like a friend). When the dr (who'd had multiple complaints abt this recep) discussed it with the employee, the receptionist started arguing with her. To the point that the employer had to actually say "you do realize I'm your boss, right?". Needless to say she was fired. The dr was more than willing to give her another chance, but she ruined it for herself, by not being able to examine her behavior & consider that it may not have been appropriate.

Lesson 1: It doesn't matter who's right, it matters that you do what the boss asks

Lesson 2: It's not smart to argue about it

Lesson 3: Even if the boss is wrong, see Lesson 1

Lesson 4: You may be wrong, even if you don't see it
Not even close to the same situation.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:33 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
This thread is insane. LMAO

You never know which topics will get everyone going on the internet. Who knew "sure" was so controversial?

Old 04-29-2017, 09:22 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

What's the point of having this forum if not to get feedback on such a shocking event? Something that I'd guess 100% of the people here never experienced (even if they agree with the "boss").
Discussing worthwhile genuine problems, not learning that a boss takes umbrage at a particular word. That's not even uncommon.

More worthy would be something like, "Is it common for managers to expect immediate responses to late-night texts?"

That's an issue that is much more involved than merely avoiding the use of certain words with a manager.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:38 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
Honestly, it doesn't matter. What matters is your boss doesn't like it, so you need to stop using it. I think it's too slangy for a professional conversation, up there with "huh" & "yeah", but IDK if OP works at McDonald's or a professional office. OTOH, I understand it was text & text is informal. However, even in text, "yes" would have been less to type than "sure" & sounds more professional.

What concerns me more is the OP's attitude here that she is right & anyone who disagrees with her is wrong. I'm sure that attitude reflects in her job & it will be noticed. I recently complained about a situation with a receptionist who started screaming at me, to my doctor (who is more like a friend). When the dr (who'd had multiple complaints abt this recep) discussed it with the employee, the receptionist started arguing with her. To the point that the employer had to actually say "you do realize I'm your boss, right?". Needless to say she was fired. The dr was more than willing to give her another chance, but she ruined it for herself, by not being able to examine her behavior & consider that it may not have been appropriate.

Lesson 1: It doesn't matter who's right, it matters that you do what the boss asks

Lesson 2: It's not smart to argue about it

Lesson 3: Even if the boss is wrong, see Lesson 1

Lesson 4: You may be wrong, even if you don't see it
"Reflects in her job and will be noticed"....

What utter nonsense. You are the ultimate corporate apologist.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:49 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
It's inappropriate use of power.
LOL. That's not government you're talking about.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:04 PM

1,020 posts, read 809,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberEllie View Post
Not even close to the same situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
"Reflects in her job and will be noticed"....

What utter nonsense. You are the ultimate corporate apologist.
Not an apologist, just a pragmatist, who managed to have an entire professional career without ever getting fired or laid off or even taking a pay cut. Call me whatever you want, I like to keep my jobs Being able to play the game & being open to constructive criticism enabled me to retire in my 40's, so I'm happy with my "ultimate corporate apologist" outcome . Since so many people here agree with her boss, then a mature employee at least considers that perhaps the boss may be right. But like I said originally, it doesn't really matter if the boss is right or not, the boss is the one who decides if she stays employed. To me, staying employed is important. Of course OP doesn't state if this is a professional or corporate workplace or Mickey D's, so that may make a difference as to how important the job is to her.

Also, the scenario I pointed out was quite similar to OP's situation, the details are different, but the attitude is quite similar. The only big difference is that OP is being defensive to a board full of strangers, rather than to the boss directly. Everyone who disagrees with her is wrong...hmmm, you don't think that attitude translates to IRL? This person has only been her boss for 3 days & instead of looking to repair the damage, she's venting. That's up to OP of course, but yeah, attitude does show through.

Regardless, I wish OP the best. If she has friction on day 3 already, there's probably not smooth sailing in her future. Making sure the boss is happy, is the way to make the ride less choppy. Whether the boss is right or wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment