Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 03:37 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times

Advertisements

I'm betting that you've used other terminology that she's found offensive or unprofessional -- and, judging from your defensive nature, that you may have argued with her (you probably called it "presenting your point of view") about other matters in the past.

You'll learn that, in the business world, it doesnt matter what you think. What matters is what your boss thinks. The enmployee who can understand and accept that will go a lot further than the employee who wants to debate her boss's opinion.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:48 PM

102 posts, read 79,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I'm betting that you've used other terminology that she's found offensive or unprofessional -- and, judging from your defensive nature, that you may have argued with her (you probably called it "presenting your point of view") about other matters in the past.

You'll learn that, in the business world, it doesnt matter what you think. What matters is what your boss thinks. The enmployee who can understand and accept that will go a lot further than the employee who wants to debate her boss's opinion.
You are wrong on all counts. I haven't said much at all. When she said that to me I said ok I understand.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post

Someone that picks apart a word in a text message clearly has some issues.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:53 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberEllie View Post
Someone that picks apart a word in a text message clearly has some issues.

There you go again.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:54 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberEllie View Post
I responded to her letting me know she would be out of the office next week and she asked if I would work later on some days. I responded back "sure " and she said she doesn't like the word because its a word that says "I don't give a crap" ..

Uh what?
My younger brother doesn't let his children use "whatever" because to him, it communicates similar.......to me, it's a destresser (a Shania Twain influence).

In the previous administration, my boss cautioned me about using the word "foreign" because some, according to him, saw that as discriminatory......so now I talk about overseas calls.

To each their own and if one who objects welds the power, we-ll.....................

Old 04-26-2017, 04:01 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Time to start looking!

You know the deal.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:03 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilide View Post
Your example is not even remotely the same situation.
Very similar situation. Whether you or anyone else like it or not, the word sure really does carry with it connotation of not caring.

How about this. A couple years ago, after reviewing some resumes to forward to my boss for final step of the hiring process, I wanted to make sure the candidates were still available. I called them. One of them said to me he wasn't sure this job was right for him and he will get back to me on it. After I got off the phone, his files went straight into the trash bin.

Now, instead of saying what he said, had he used the word "sure" instead of "yes" to answer my question of whether he was still available for an interview, I would have thrown his files in the trash bin as well.

The fact of the matter is the corporate world is very competitive. Why should I give equal consideration between a candidate who shows genuine interest in the position and a candidate that answered sure sure why not?

Let me guess, you're going to pull out the dictionary and argue that sure means yes. I wish you the best of luck if you insist "sure" is an appropriate replacement of "yes" in a professional setting.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Very similar situation. Whether you or anyone else like it or not, the word sure really does carry with it connotation of not caring.

How about this. A couple years ago, after reviewing some resumes to forward to my boss for final step of the hiring process, I wanted to make sure the candidates were still available. I called them. One of them said to me he wasn't sure this job was right for him and he will get back to me on it. After I got off the phone, his files went straight into the trash bin.

Now, instead of saying what he said, had he used the word "sure" instead of "yes" to answer my question of whether he was still available for an interview, I would have thrown his files in the trash bin as well.

The fact of the matter is the corporate world is very competitive. Why should I give equal consideration between a candidate who shows genuine interest in the position and a candidate that answered sure sure why not?

Let me guess, you're going to pull out the dictionary and argue that sure means yes. I wish you the best of luck if you insist "sure" is an appropriate replacement of "yes" in a professional setting.
Lol.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:07 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Quote:
Or perhaps the manager cares about the OP and is pointing out an inappropriate word to use in a professional setting.

Last year, I had an intern in my office. I gave him an assignment to do some calculations. When he turned in the calculation, one of the outcomes was a whole number. I had told him to carry to 2 decimal places. He turned in a whole number. Aside from a couple mistakes, for the most part it was good. I called him in and told him to reprint the report with the correct answers. Also, if the answer is 3, don't just put 3. Put 3.00. To my surprise, he started arguing with me that 3 and 3.00 were the same.

Word of advise. If your boss gives you an advise, don't act like a brat and argue. Just be thankful your boss cares enough to share with you his/her experience. Trust me, if I didn't care for the intern, I would have left it at 3. But he was being trained to write up professional reports. So, I gave him a pointer on how to make it look professional.

But again, OP, sure sure whatever. You should tell your boss you know everything and you don't need her to give you pointers anymore.
word of advice

Old 04-26-2017, 04:13 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
..........Let me guess, you're going to pull out the dictionary and argue that sure means yes. I wish you the best of luck if you insist "sure" is an appropriate replacement of "yes" in a professional setting.
Reminds me of hostage negotiation. One should avoid the use of "okay" and perhaps use "I understand" instead since the former might communicate "okay, I agree to your demand.".

Curiously enough, I was reading about the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_airport_disaster last night and there it was indicated that "Ok" was a VERY BAD word to use to get meanings across.

Live and learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment