Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 02:54 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
What do you mean by that? That it's justified to be a narcissist and put yourself above others and screw everyone else over to get your way? I don't get what you mean by "most of us have greater concerns in life".
You spent more time writing the OP than most people spend thinking about these matters. You seem to be generally angry about anything work related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 03:00 PM

1,166 posts, read 876,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You spent more time writing the OP than most people spend thinking about these matters. You seem to be generally angry about anything work related.
Maybe people should think more about it instead of just turning their brains off. If I see BS in the world, whether it be in the workplace or in day to day life, I'm going to take a stand against it. I'm not angry at work in general, just all the BS that comes with the workplace (favoritism, pandering, ass-kissing,etc.) I know the world is not perfect, but people seem to use that as a justification to not even try to make the world better, they just say "Well, the worlds screwed up, what can I do about it?" and they just go about there lives.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:07 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
People who complain all the time are almost never taken seriously. If rubber gloves mean a lot to you, buy some and put your name on them. If they meant a lot to everyone, they would still be provided. Next, be quiet, keep your head down and just look for another job. When you find one, leave.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:25 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,057 times
Quote:
Maybe people should think more about it instead of just turning their brains off. If I see BS in the world, whether it be in the workplace or in day to day life, I'm going to take a stand against it. I'm not angry at work in general, just all the BS that comes with the workplace (favoritism, pandering, ass-kissing,etc.) I know the world is not perfect, but people seem to use that as a justification to not even try to make the world better, they just say "Well, the worlds screwed up, what can I do about it?" and they just go about there lives.
Seeing that you are out of work perhaps your next gig could be as a white knight, people could pay you to fight their trivial injustices that they encounter, you know, the ones nobody else cares about.

Rubber Gloves For All- Call Jimmy!

Seriously man, you have a long path ahead of you if this is the attitude you bring to a job. Hopefully you get this sorted out before you have a family and they become subject to your whims.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
Seeing that you are out of work perhaps your next gig could be as a white knight, people could pay you to fight their trivial injustices that they encounter, you know, the ones nobody else cares about.

Rubber Gloves For All- Call Jimmy!

Seriously man, you have a long path ahead of you if this is the attitude you bring to a job. Hopefully you get this sorted out before you have a family and they become subject to your whims.

Again, what attitude are you talking about?? Could you please give me the rundown of what my attitude is, according to you? Also, it's not my fault people just lay down and take whatever's dished out to them without so much as an unkind word. It's no my fault they are sheep, afraid to stand up for themselves.

And like I said before, it wasn't a whim. Things had been building up there for a long time and it just had to come to a tipping point. The fact that we made them over $90000 in a month (they own several dealerships and ours was the highest earning service department by far) and they were still too cheap to buy us rubber gloves was the final straw. What's next? We have to bring in our own brake clean, our own rags, our own oil and filters, you have to cut them off at some point because if you give them an inch, they'll take a mile. But as I said, it wasn't a whim or spur of the moment thing, it was a long time coming.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
People who complain all the time are almost never taken seriously. If rubber gloves mean a lot to you, buy some and put your name on them. If they meant a lot to everyone, they would still be provided. Next, be quiet, keep your head down and just look for another job. When you find one, leave.

The reason I think people were afraid to stand up to them were because they are in a position in life to where they depend on that job, so they think they have to put up will all its BS and never stand up for themselves in order to keep it. They have a wife, kids, car payments, rent, credit card bills, etc. I'm in a position to where I have no debt, my car is paid for, I pay my car insurance off for the whole year at the begining of the year, my rent is very cheap, I live very cheaply and try to save money whenever possible, instead of blowing all of it and living paycheck to paycheck. So I have the clout to stand up for myself whenever I see something I disagree with and I'm not afraid to walk away if it's not dealt with. If more people were like that, companies would have a lot less control over the worker because when people got tired of all the BS, they would just leave. I'm not going to shackle myself to some job and put up with a bunch of BS just because most people do.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:15 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Yes.

I guarantee the OP is avoided like the plague at work hence why his complaints are dismissed.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Yes.

I guarantee the OP is avoided like the plague at work hence why his complaints are dismissed.

I always kept to myself at work for the most part, I'm a loner type of guy and prefer to work alone whenever possible, I just concentrate better and have more focus on the task at hand. But whenever a conversation topic came up I wasn't afraid to tell people exactly how I feel about it. I don't see why that makes me a horrible complainer that nobody should take seriously, while you guys have said nothing about the woman I was talking about in my OP. Are you saying her complaints are valid because more people are willing to listen to her, or that my complaints are not valid because people dismiss them? What makes her so much better than me? What makes her complaints so much more valid than me. Why do I deserve to be avoided for my complaints while others don't?

Old 05-04-2017, 06:28 PM

1,110 posts, read 896,649 times
Quote:
I always kept to myself at work for the most part, I'm a loner type of guy and prefer to work alone whenever possible, I just concentrate better and have more focus on the task at hand. But whenever a conversation topic came up I wasn't afraid to tell people exactly how I feel about it. I don't see why that makes me a horrible complainer that nobody should take seriously, while you guys have said nothing about the woman I was talking about in my OP. Are you saying her complaints are valid because more people are willing to listen to her, or that my complaints are not valid because people dismiss them? What makes her so much better than me? What makes her complaints so much more valid than me. Why do I deserve to be avoided for my complaints while others don't?
Jimmy, you asked for advice and you got it; some good advice, as I recall. One, you can't do anything about the PITA pretty chick that was the thorn in your side. She is obviously very self-absorbed, but so are you. When men are running the show, the pretty girl wins hands down. I am sorry to say, but men vote/act with their gonads sometimes. Two, several people have sensed that you are very angry, so the response are more about you than her in this thread-they don't care about her, but they can see your anger, and they want to help you. I looked at several other threads that you initiated and they all show anger - at union bashers, management, etc. You may be absolutely right about everything that you say, but it is the way that you deal with the work environment that is ineffective. You have got to rein in that anger in order to be more effective. No one is saying that you need to lie down and take it when you see wrongdoing, but you need to choose your battles. There are much more effective ways to get your point across.

You have some sensitivities about the Union. I can honestly say that workers would not have the rights that they have today without the Unions, but not all of them are very effective today. As an example the govvie union is toothless, and a waste of time for most federal workers. The federal unions have co-opted too much with management to be effective. Some unions can be overly obstructive as well. Unions have a bad name in some circles for asking for things that may be counter-productive, such as two 15 minute breaks a day for office workers (who also take smoke breaks, coffee breaks in addition to the work break).

You came to this forum looking for confirmation on your reasons for anger. You are getting answers that you do not like, because they all point back to you. YOU must learn how to be effective when you encounter things that you do not like. If you lash out at everything, no one will respond when you encounter a real issue.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:19 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
jimmy-

Sorry that the adults in your work environment could not decipher and acknowledge legitimate concerns.

I often would tell my boss, Sir, when you are irate, we listen. Its how our team moves forward or contemplates revisals. Perhaps you can take a moment to acknowledge that. He ended up being a magnet of good support when scenarios arose. He may not have agreed sometimes yet he very often allowed the person to be heard.

Progress happens when the concern is addressed, then contemplated for resolution, then action taken....

I have experienced what you have written about. Just remember, the higher up on the horse a person is, the less likely they can "listen" to the person....How sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment