Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 11:55 AM

1,104 posts, read 920,915 times

Advertisements

Nobody making less than 900k per year, preferably towards $1.5m needs to be taken seriously as a parent. Children require electronic consumer goods by the age of 3 months to survive in our high-tech world. In ideal situations, by age 9 months they should have signed their first smartphone contract and by age 2 be actively trading/communicating with their mutual fund. All food should cost in excess of $10k per day. This does not include the maintenance of their cosmetic surgery. By the age of 2 and a half they should own at least several condos, drive a sportscar (preferably American-built Ford) and own at least 2 high-end New York law firms, 3 corrupt Philadelphia police stations and an unchartered island off the coast of south Argentina. By age 5, if they aren't bringing in $300k per day, you've failed your child. Sorry, guess being a parent was just too much for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 12:17 PM

1,195 posts, read 988,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
Nobody making less than 900k per year, preferably towards $1.5m needs to be taken seriously as a parent. Children require electronic consumer goods by the age of 3 months to survive in our high-tech world. In ideal situations, by age 9 months they should have signed their first smartphone contract and by age 2 be actively trading/communicating with their mutual fund. All food should cost in excess of $10k per day. This does not include the maintenance of their cosmetic surgery. By the age of 2 and a half they should own at least several condos, drive a sportscar (preferably American-built Ford) and own at least 2 high-end New York law firms, 3 corrupt Philadelphia police stations and an unchartered island off the coast of south Argentina. By age 5, if they aren't bringing in $300k per day, you've failed your child. Sorry, guess being a parent was just too much for you.
I don't plan for my child to have more than one computer/notebook unless they earn the money to buy it (chores). Same with cell phones, unless they're old enough to be out a lot on extra curricular activities.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
I haven't read all 15 pages, so perhaps it's already been posted, but this website allows you to plug in your family size and geographic location and it tells you what you need to earn, to have a "living wage", in that area of the country.

I've found it pretty accurate for the different states in which I've lived as an adult.

Living Wage Calculator
Excellent site thanks. So for a family of four, 2 children I need to make 52k before tax. This doesn't include savings.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Where you live, Vancouver maybe $200 roundtrip. I assure you that where I live, it's nowhere near $200 to fly to Vancouver! And if you have a family, you're rarely - if ever - going to go on these trips especially when children are young.....toddlers and babies on planes are a BLAST! /sarcasm
I live in the east coast but wife is from there. We would have to make our family visits into vacations. There's Victoria island near Vancouver which I think will make for good vacation. Sister lives in UK but I see her and nephew etc when on business. Key West is drivable if I have a full week of vacation. Hawaii can be visited during the less peak season. I think kids really learn from travel so it's worth it even if it takes an extra job.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:13 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,126,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
EXACTLY!!!!

What's the point of having kids, barely making ends meet, working like a dog 50 plus hours a week between work and house chores, and living off dollar cheeseburgers from McDonalds all to raise some ungrateful children who eyes will be glued to their phones in an ever more overpopulated world lol?

That's a crappy life if you ask me.

6 figures is most areas of the country will probably allow you to have 1-2 children without sacrificing your quality of life.

If one parent can't stay home full time from day 1 and raise their children then what's the point though, really?

If both parents have to work 50+ hours a week between commutes, work and house chores, sacrifice sleep, exercise, sex, etc so they can raise a child, why?

There is no number or even the 6 figure bench mark that means bringing children in this world is safe to do so, but the decision should come down to quality of life. Having children should be a rational choice not an emotional one. All I can say is I am glad I don't have kids. BUT if I was making 200k a year then I might have the motivation to have a couple children because I know my quality of life wouldn't take a hit.
The crux of the issue now is just because you make 6 figures today does not mean you will make 6 figures in 10 years, or even if you do, in 10 years if you barely make over 100k that's not going to be so much in 10 years even if everyone else is still making 50k. Welcome to the race to the bottom.

If employer low balling or lay offs don't get you inflation most certainly will.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:35 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,647,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
I live in the east coast but wife is from there. We would have to make our family visits into vacations. There's Victoria island near Vancouver which I think will make for good vacation. Sister lives in UK but I see her and nephew etc when on business. Key West is drivable if I have a full week of vacation. Hawaii can be visited during the less peak season. I think kids really learn from travel so it's worth it even if it takes an extra job.
So you'd take a second job so your kids can go on vacations, but not spend much time with you because you're always working?

Old 05-02-2017, 01:41 PM

1,104 posts, read 920,915 times
Quote:
I don't plan for my child to have more than one computer/notebook unless they earn the money to buy it (chores). Same with cell phones, unless they're old enough to be out a lot on extra curricular activities.
You didn't get the point of my post. Neither did anyone probably. Your earning power is worthless unless your child is aware of condoms and how to hustle without drugs.

Being poor or rich, it's both a burden. You can't get it right in any way. Children WILL have sex and do drugs. Children will screw up constantly and have children they didn't want, and addictions they never wanted.

Once they are beyond teens and towards adults, the earning power means nothing at all. There is no hope and there is no help.

It's not about how much money you make - it's the values you inspire. Values count more than money. Values and morals will always be worth more than your earning.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:53 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,751,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
I haven't read all 15 pages, so perhaps it's already been posted, but this website allows you to plug in your family size and geographic location and it tells you what you need to earn, to have a "living wage", in that area of the country.

I've found it pretty accurate for the different states in which I've lived as an adult.

Living Wage Calculator

I went on this website and it's WAY off for my area!! How would transportation be more than housing? And housing at $900 a month for a family of 4???? Not here!

Old 05-02-2017, 05:10 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,811,777 times
Around here at least 56,000 year. With benefits nd union if posible. Job security. So many others… and the woman.. is a priority.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:12 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,811,777 times
Quote:
you don’t understand life isn’t vacation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment