Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 05:01 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times

Advertisements

4 yrs ago I started a new job in a hotel, there was a bad gossip culture and an abusive chef.

After 3 weeks I came home one day and put my resume up, in less than 3 minutes my cell started ringing.
I was hired over the phone and asked to come in immediately, I went and started that new job the same day.
Never went back to the old job. It was Mothers day the next day, so they royally screwed themselves.

Still at that job, they treat me very very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 05:14 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I quit the Post office same day due to a sadistic manager. It happens more than you think.
You quit a FEDERAL job without even TRYING for moderation????

Not the best move ever.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:03 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
You quit a FEDERAL job without even TRYING for moderation????

Not the best move ever.
I was non career CCA letter carrier under 90 days. They could fire you for sneezing too much. The PO has the right to work non career people 30 days straight and no help from the Union. I worked 3 weeks 7 days straight. My boss did not care my legs were jello and seemed pissed at me asking to not work like that. I told him good riddance.

They worked one guy something like 63 days straight. He was under 25 yo so he handled it.

Last edited by 87112; 05-04-2017 at 07:29 PM..

Old 05-04-2017, 07:05 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
Post office is now the bottom of the barrel Fed job along with TSA. If you see someone going to work for the Post Office it means work search has not gone well.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:22 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
Since Obamacare came along many retail workers are getting part time hours only. It's discouragin to earn so little.
I would argue most retail workers also were getting part-time pre-Obama's presidency.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:27 PM

3,337 posts, read 2,140,399 times
Idealism dictates that folks ought to have enough character so as to only quit without notice for either clearly merit-worthy or otherwise extraordinary reasons.

Reality dictates that such things happen, that responsible parties ought to plan for and deal with these instances as best they can, and that it's worthwhile to seek to implement strategies designed to minimize the frequency of such occurrences moving forward.

Insofar as the above examples are concerned, my experience has been that it's often best to acknowledge a sort of necessity in abiding by the latter in tandem with pursuing the former. This seems to be true from both the practical and internal perspectives.

*shrugs* I'll stipulate that it can be irritating in the moment, but this is why it's important to understand the above, because it's important to learn the skill of proverbially 'catching one's self.'

Old 05-05-2017, 12:55 AM

1,020 posts, read 809,198 times
It's not the right thing to do, of course, but I don't think there's anything new about this. I remember people doing it 30 years ago, 20 yrs ago, 10 yrs ago, etc. I even did it myself once when I was 17 or 18 (I started working at 15). I can understand that someone wouldn't have loyalty to a company after only working there a couple of weeks & we all see examples of companies not having loyalty to employees, who have sometimes been there 30 years, so it goes both ways. I just don't think it's anything new.

That said, it's never a good idea to burn bridges & I would never do it now.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:47 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times
Many young people with little or no work experience just don't know any better.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:37 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,497 times
Many companies often have no loyalty to their workers, moreover, it's often the case that a company will tell an employee who does give two weeks notice to just not bother coming back as soon as their notice is given. That leaves the employee out those two weeks of pay that they may have been counting on. I saw this happen regularly at my old job - to the point where I started thinking an employee was fairly stupid for giving two weeks notice and thinking things would be different for them than it had been for everyone else.

I gave three days notice at my last job. They were PISSED. I specifically told them it was because after five years of working there, I had never seen someone give two weeks notice and actually stay for two weeks, because as soon as they gave notice, they were told they needed to leave right then. They said, "Well, you are reliable and we wouldn't have told you to leave." And it was hilarious, because literally right after that was said, I was given a story about how a fantastic teacher (I wasn't a teacher, but I was working at a school) had given two weeks notice, and they had decided it was fine for the teacher to leave immediately and sent them packing. So...your example to me about how good employees would never be told to leave was about how you told a good employee to leave and they lost out on two weeks wages? I pointed that out, and the response was, "Oh....well...maybe wasn't the best example." NO $H!T SHERLOCK! They couldn't even come up with one example in which they hadn't let someone go as soon as they gave their notice!

If companies treated employees better - if they gave them fair wages, good benefits, regular schedules, and allowed an employee to work the two weeks notice they gave, then more employees would give two weeks notice. But as it stands, companies treat employees like crap, so they get crap in return.

For quite awhile now, two weeks hasn't been the norm for many companies and/or types of jobs. At my current job, I'd give a month's notice if possible, because it's a good company, they wouldn't let me go sooner than that, and because it would take at least that long to hire someone else. At my past company, as I said, I gave three days notice, and I gave that expecting them to send me home right then.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:50 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celesteren View Post
To reiterate what some have said - my employer's lack of integrity doesn't change mine. I would give two weeks.

And something I haven't seen addressed - you may feel you're sticking it to your awful employer, but what about your co-workers who have to pick up the slack while they find someone to replace you? Maybe it's just me, but I feel like I owe some loyalty to the people I work WITH as well, not just who I work for.

This is how I felt many years ago when a restaurant owner cussed me out in front of the whole kitchen staff and servers. My first inclination was to leave that instant, but we were in the middle of a rush and I couldn't do that to my fellow servers. I stuck it out for 3 days, telling myself I'd give him time to apologize. He did, in an over-the-top way, holding my hands and begging me to stay. He had been drunk at the time of the cussing, he said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment