Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 05:45 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by money hungry View Post
I am not talking about a real mistake but a question of approach. Professionals vary on how they solve problems and that is what professional people do- solve organizational problems. One approach seems perfectly logical to one person and crazy to another. I want to be able to explain why I think the approach I use was logical and the best decision. But the boss tells me he does not want to hear it and thinks any discussion is just making excuses.
Glad you further explained this because "no excuses" indicates to me that a serious mistake WAS made.

Anyway, a lot of good answers here -- I don't think I disagree with any of them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 07:01 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I suppose he is Retired Now.
Again.
Why I am afraid to retire.
I love C-D too much.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:28 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Have you ever been called to task for something you did on the job and once you started to tell your side of the story, were interrupted and told he/she did not want to hear any excuses?

This has happened to me a couple of times and has left me frustrated. Wouldn't a good boss want to hear why you did something a specific way? Wouldn't they want to know all the details and your reasons why you did what you did? Wouldn't they know that you were closer to the situation (issue) than they were and want to understand your decision making process?

No, I guess not. They just view any discussion and explanation as an excuse.

How would you respond if a boss would not let you tell your side of a situation (other than look for another job of course.)?
Yeah. I had that happen. Not very often but it has happened. I turned around and got my ass to work. Pushed my guys and got the job done. Ultimately there is no my side of the story. If I'm in charge and I drop the ball it's my fault. Regardless who under me did what I'm the HAIC. (Head ahole in charge) so it's my fault

Old 05-03-2017, 08:01 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Go to HR
why, HR has nothing to do with this, HR is to protect the company only

Old 05-03-2017, 08:04 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Yep. When I was in the Army.
I see this everyday for years, like thirty year, and it does kinda have a military back ground. Boss wants the job done and do it, no excuses

Kinda like:

No crying in base ball
no pain no gain
no excuses
just do it

Its a way of life, you got an excuse for everything, we really dont need you

Old 05-03-2017, 09:39 PM

372 posts, read 534,089 times
Quote:
Have you ever been called to task for something you did on the job and once you started to tell your side of the story, were interrupted and told he/she did not want to hear any excuses?

This has happened to me a couple of times and has left me frustrated. Wouldn't a good boss want to hear why you did something a specific way? Wouldn't they want to know all the details and your reasons why you did what you did? Wouldn't they know that you were closer to the situation (issue) than they were and want to understand your decision making process?

No, I guess not. They just view any discussion and explanation as an excuse.

How would you respond if a boss would not let you tell your side of a situation (other than look for another job of course.)?

I would say "Ok."

They don't want to hear it.

So don't burden them.

Learn what not to do. Do what you're supposed to.

Take your frustration elsewhere.

And try not to make yourself crazy.

Unfortunately, some people just don't care what others think.

I'm sorry.
Because you're probably right.
But it doesn't really matter... unless you decide you want to work elsewhere with people more like you.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:15 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Yep. When I was in the Army.
Lol! They love hearing excuses. The more the better!

Old 05-04-2017, 08:28 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I suppose he is Retired Now.
He is retired to a place called "banned camp"

Old 05-04-2017, 08:44 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I have been thru multiple Directors in the almost 20 years here at the Hospital. We have had five in the last 4 years, if you can believe that. Prior to that we had a guy that was here for over 50 years, 31 as the Director. In all fairness two of those five were interim Directors that we knew would be leaving.

Each one of these Directors had a different approach to how they managed a facility. We have had to learn to adapt at change even if we thought that how they were doing things was the wrong way to do those things. I have learned a little from each of these guys. One thing I have learned is anyone can be the Director. It seems that each of them have built their career by taking things that they learned from other locations and incorporating it into who they are as a Director or manager. Some were so blatant about it, "At my other job we did it like this." "Where I used to work we had a policy for this." Not that it is bad to bring best practices into an organization. With one guy though it seemed that the way we had done things for years was so very wrong and his way was much better. When that guy got here he was looked at as a superstar. The C suite was blown away by his skill set and knowledge. He had come from a much larger organization and had worked at 12 hospitals in 14 years honing his management skills. (Stupid me, I had thought that was a red flag.)

This guy was so good at everything that we found if you talked about something you had done, he had already done it better, faster, and more efficiently. It did not matter the subject. A real superstar. After a year and a half he was fired from the job, or actually given the opportunity to resign from the job. That was a few years ago and since then he has worked at two other places. We were happy to see him go. Our office coordinator though is still close to him and keeps us posted on his "successes"

Another guy came here and found that leaving big corporate hospital organizations for a small independent two hospital system was too big a change. He left after three months.

Currently we have a guy that has been here about four months. He plans on staying for the nest 6 to 8 years when he will retire. We all like him and he has made a lot of positive changes here at the facility. Then again it may be because the other directors that would not stay that the C suite has given this guy the tools to change the department. Who knows.

What I have learned though is we have to be willing to change and adapt. Ask the question of our bosses when a disagreement happens, "How would you handle this?"

Old 05-04-2017, 10:25 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Explanations of why you have done something when you have been told you aren't doing it the approved way can be a defense mechanism to avoid shame or embarrassment. It's as though you were trying to convince the other person of the reasonableness of your method. But others may hear and feel it as resistance.

Sometimes in business people are too busy to take time to listen while you shore up your ego. It's always nice if they do take time but you can't expect it in a working environment. This is why it's important to build up your self-esteem enough that you are able to accept correction without feeling the need to explain and have people understand your viewpoint. That's what good friends are for.

Have a good support system somewhere and for work adopt the motto, "Don't complain and don't explain." Your boss wants change from you and apparently isn't interested in holding your hand.

It's a good thing to know what your boss wants. He has let you know in a not-so-subtle manner. Now you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment