Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 07:04 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Just curious: Has it occurred to many of you that this is a small office where there are no "secrets" on each individual's computer? That all information is shared?

Just because an individual has their own work station doesn't necessarily mean they have exclusive rights and privilege to company property. We have 3 people and 3 computers in our office and all 3 people have unfettered access to each computer.

Seriously; computers are for the benefit of the company and NOT for personal use.

You people live in the Twilight Zone.
No, some of us live in the real world, where employers are smart enough to assign rights by ID/password so they know who is logged in when someone is streaming Netflix on company time or accessing files they should not be.

If OP's boss isn't doing that, it's a red flag to get out - the boss is sloppy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 07:35 PM

811 posts, read 622,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
when someone is streaming Netflix on company time or accessing files they should not be.
Unlikely in our office... we have activity monitoring software.

We know what everyone is doing on their computers at any time.

Sloppy?

Hardly.

Last edited by Elna Rae; 05-18-2017 at 07:48 PM..

Old 05-19-2017, 04:56 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
I would say your main issue is it's slowing down your computer. Start by asking the other people if anyone is willing to host the Pandora since obviously you would just as soon not have it. Tell them your issue is not the music, it's that it's run off your computer. If no one agrees, can someone bring in an old computer/tablet from home just to run the music? Shouldn't take much power.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:11 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellylynnr View Post
Hi!

I was hired about a month ago to work as an admin assistant. It's a small company. The issue is that they listen to Pandora music all day from my computer. It's connected to a Bose speaker about 10 ft away. Not only does it slow down my computer but I find it extremely distracting. I tried putting it on a different selection once for music and when I returned from lunch it was changed back.

I'm not one that enjoys having to listen to someone else's music all day and I can't wear headphones. Had I know this - I wouldn't have taken the job. I have thought about complaining but I'm not sure how that will go over. The 4 women here are a lot older than me and seem set in their ways. All the women are over 50, I'm 35.

Should I say something?

Oh yes! My hear goes out to you. I am a former DJ (College) and music critic. This would be HELL for me!

What genre are you forced to hear?

Old 05-19-2017, 06:44 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellylynnr View Post
Hi!

I was hired about a month ago to work as an admin assistant. It's a small company. The issue is that they listen to Pandora music all day from my computer. It's connected to a Bose speaker about 10 ft away. Not only does it slow down my computer but I find it extremely distracting. I tried putting it on a different selection once for music and when I returned from lunch it was changed back.

I'm not one that enjoys having to listen to someone else's music all day and I can't wear headphones. Had I know this - I wouldn't have taken the job. I have thought about complaining but I'm not sure how that will go over. The 4 women here are a lot older than me and seem set in their ways. All the women are over 50, I'm 35.

Should I say something?
No. I read that you can't wear headphones, but if you can, wear earplugs.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:46 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,807,300 times
Quote:
Ask for a quick pow wow with the other ladies and kindly tell them your frustration and ask if they have any suggestions for remedy. If they're not willing to bend then shut the hell up or quit. After giving 2 weeks notice of course.
Yes. Because others are doing something ridiculous, the OP should up and quit. THAT is what's wrong with the workplace culture. You don't like it (no matter what IT is?)... just quit.

It's just like telling someone with a loud/bad neighbor to shut up and move. Why hold anyone accountable for their actions?

Old 05-19-2017, 06:52 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Just curious: Has it occurred to many of you that this is a small office where there are no "secrets" on each individual's computer? That all information is shared?

Just because an individual has their own work station doesn't necessarily mean they have exclusive rights and privilege to company property. We have 3 people and 3 computers in our office and all 3 people have unfettered access to each computer.

Seriously; computers are for the benefit of the company and NOT for personal use.

You people live in the Twilight Zone.

Well, actually you may be the one in the Twilight Zone on that particular issue, if by "unfettered access" you're talking about not even having private passwords (a password is a "fetter").

Securing general-purpose work computers (which may be used in many ways by a disgruntled worker to destroy the company) to individual workers is not by any means unusual--it's the general rule.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:53 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Unlikely in our office... we have activity monitoring software.

We know what everyone is doing on their computers at any time.

Sloppy?

Hardly.
That's a "fetter." Monitoring software, to be useful, must have an individual log-in identified.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 05-19-2017 at 07:36 AM..

Old 05-19-2017, 07:07 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,677 times
Ridiculous first world problem! I work with 30 other people and we listen to music all day everyday without issues.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:14 AM

811 posts, read 622,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's a "fetter."
And a good one at that.

Another fetter is that our employee contract gives us the right to prosecute to the full extent of the law should a "disgruntled" employee choose to harm our company using their computers.

"Unfettered" in its fullest context would mean any possible barrier. I was simply meaning that we share passwords.

I still think many of you don't understand that small offices exist where employees have full view of each other's monitors and company equipment is well... company equipment. And taking advantage of the companies resources to suit one's personal agenda given the loyalty and character of certain employees is unlikely.

Now back on point:
OP,
Just have an adult conversation with your co-workers instead of whining to a bunch of strangers.

BTW: If all of this vomitous advice was so wonderful why hasn't the OP surfaced recently?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment