Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 12:23 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

The minimum here is $12 in a few weeks with many heading for $15 by 2018-20 and statewide by 2023.

Minimum wage increases for Bay Area cities in 2017

It has not been all roses... restaurants are hurting and big employers like Walmart abruptly closed...

One of my friends was very excited... she got a nice raise working in fast food... thing is the daycare she uses had to raise rates as the daycare workers also got a raise... when it was all said and done she just pays more taxes and higher costs and instead of having 6 on a shift they now have 5 doing the work of 6.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 05-27-2017 at 12:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 02:33 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The minimum here is $12 in a few weeks with many heading for $15 by 2018-20 and statewide by 2023.

Minimum wage increases for Bay Area cities in 2017

It has not been all roses... restaurants are hurting and big employers like Walmart abruptly closed...

One of my friends was very excited... she got a nice raise working in fast food... thing is the daycare she uses had to raise rates as the daycare workers also got a raise... when it was all said and done she just pays more taxes and higher costs and instead of having 6 on a shift they now have 5 doing the work of 6.
Yeah, no one should get a raise because then the prices of things might go up, is that right? Or is that just those at the bottom of the economic ladder shouldn't get a raise because that forces the cost of things up?

Minimum wages, and wages for many, have been stagnant for years. I don't see in any way that it has prevented the cost of things from going up.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:34 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
When you realize that getting a good education is the only real way to make it in today's ultra-competitive world, you will do whatever it takes. I have known medical students living out of their cars to save money. A little discomfort in your younger years will likely prevent you from being hungry and uncomfortable the rest of your life.
Sure, but borrowing $50K to get a Woman's Studies degree at a 3rd tier state school is more of a certificate of attendance for the "everybody gets a prize" generation than an actual education an employer might value. An education is supposed to teach critical thought. Unfortunately, a big chunk of college grads lack the motivation and neurons to have received that kind of education.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:18 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I mean, for the longest time I can recall, $15/hr was pretty good money, especially for starting out. Heck, it would be too bad for a guy that had been in many fields for 5-8 years.

When did it become some inadequate that it only met the "survival" threshold?

From what I read, a couple of decades ago, $1.50/hr was survival wages. How did it go up tenfold?
In the first place, you have to back a wee bit further for the $1.50. In the second, have you checked rents lately?

Old 05-27-2017, 06:21 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Minimum wages, and wages for many, have been stagnant for years. I don't see in any way that it has prevented the cost of things from going up.
so have their skills...

COL increases should be tied to technology adeptness, learn X new things/skills/equipment and get $X increase

Old 05-27-2017, 07:09 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
I mean, for the longest time I can recall, $15/hr was pretty good money, especially for starting out. Heck, it would be too bad for a guy that had been in many fields for 5-8 years.

From what I read, a couple of decades ago, $1.50/hr was survival wages. How did it go up tenfold?

It became inadequate when the price of housing and food went through the roof. $15.00 an hour for a person working 40 hours is only $2,400 a month (see how quick I did that math). In my area you can't rent even a 1 bedroom apartment for less than $1,000 a month and then you have the utilities, perhaps a car payment, car insurance and groceries. Most apartments want to see your rent at 1/3 of your income. At $2,400 a month that would be $720. Unless a single person shared an apartment or was married and their spouse worked, it would be hard to live on $15.00 an hour.

However years ago people didn't expect to make a minimum wage job a career path. Today people at fast food restaurants are expecting to make $15.00 an hour for a job that requires no experience and no skills.

In 1973, when I was 18, the minimum wage was $1.60 an hour so I made $256 a month. I had a car payment (brand new car) of $81.60. I don't remember what my ex-husband made but he worked as a photographer for the local newspaper. We never had luxuries but we lived comfortably for a newlywed couple. Our furnished apartment was $150 a month and our grocery bill was about $25 a week. However we didn't have cell phones, computers and $1000 TV's so we were able to survive on our small salaries. We never had savings but I never felt like we were "poor". Just a typical newlywed couple starting out, similar to many others.

Salaries have not kept up with inflation in most parts of the country. The minimum wage here in Florida is $8.05 an hour. Try living on that if you're not married or sharing the rent/mortgage.

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 05-27-2017 at 07:27 AM..

Old 05-27-2017, 08:25 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
The people I know earning that kind of money are either living with parents, a significant other, or have a couple of roommates. One man I worked with lives at the local "wino" SRO hotel which rents out dumpy bed bug infested rooms for cash. And you know what? 30 years ago it was the same scenario. Low wages have never been easy to live on.

The only way out of such a situation is education. Either going to college to major in a high rate of return on investment field like computer science, or attending a trade school. I know the local trucking companies are in dire need of help and are willing to train you.

If you aren't willing to invest in yourself and acquire marketable skills you face a lifetime of poverty and destitution.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:30 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:

When everything we buy became far more expensive than it was 20 years ago. Obviously. Everything gets more expensive. Nothing gets cheaper. Think about it. When did your grocery bill last go down? How about that Amazon Prime membership? Is it less or more than it was five years ago? And what about buying car parts or paying for car repairs? And let's not forget paying to raise your children. Does it cost more or less than it did 20 years ago?

Old 05-27-2017, 08:34 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Yeah, no one should get a raise because then the prices of things might go up, is that right? Or is that just those at the bottom of the economic ladder shouldn't get a raise because that forces the cost of things up?

More dollars chasing goods like housing is a significant factor added to the restriction of creating more housing.

There were many years starting out the only time I got a raise is when minimum wage increased... my first real job was at age 12 and all through high school and college I worked a series of minimum wage jobs...

My first well paying job was right after I graduated with my engineering degree....

My point is people put too much on minimum wage as I explained... those I mentioned got a nice bump when minimum went up but it also increased their cost for daycare and the shift which was always 6 employees is now 5 so more was expected.

Where did you get no one should ever get a raise from that?

Old 05-27-2017, 10:06 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
When everything we buy became far more expensive than it was 20 years ago. Obviously. Everything gets more expensive. Nothing gets cheaper. Think about it. When did your grocery bill last go down? How about that Amazon Prime membership? Is it less or more than it was five years ago? And what about buying car parts or paying for car repairs? And let's not forget paying to raise your children. Does it cost more or less than it did 20 years ago?
Clothing? Electronics? Small appliances?

You're of course broadly right about inflation but it's not an iron rule.

$15 is higher than the real value of minimum wage has ever been, and much higher than the historical average. Which doesn't necessarily mean it is or is not good policy, but inflation has not been that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment