Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 08:53 AM

24 posts, read 19,358 times

Advertisements

I recent got hired by private company as IT person. This is basically my job role.

*Manage network(about 100+ computers here at my work place)
*Manage IP phones
*Manage Server
*helpdesk role
*Manage access card & ip camera

so basically.. everything is already set and running when I got here. I get about 2-3 helpdesk call a day and it usually takes me an hour or two at max to solve them. I get ip phone setup or access card problem but that doesn't happen often. There's nothing to manage for server side as it's already set up and my boss doesn't want me to touch it. They just told me if I see any unusual lights pattern on switch or router in server room. So.. busy days aside(very rare occasion), I get to goof off about 6 hours a day out of 8 hours working time. I get bored to death because there's nothing to do and nobody ever gives me any orders or proper training. So i guess my role here is helpdesk + system admin but well.. nobody gave me any training since I got here about 6 months ago.. at first I liked it because I get so much free time and nobody bossed me around but now, I am bored to death and I feel like I am not getting my job experience right. I suppose to be learning all the time and practice IT stuff etc so I can make progress through my career. Damn.. I even brought my books and videos for IT certs to work so I can keep my skills sharp and make a progress. I mean.. I was expecting the company would train me but it just ended up I am training myself. Are all system/network admin job like this? Of course, it's better than work at call center that gets call 24/7 but it still worries me a bit that I am getting too much free time. It's like I am the only one work and act separated from the company. Everyone is busy as hell but only I am free as hell around here. It's like I am not even a member of this company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 09:10 AM

902 posts, read 747,143 times
Welcome to IT. Here is a copy pasta from spiceworks:
1. Ask for more challenging things to do.
2. Self study by reading up on various technologies out there.
3. Self study by using hands on labs at Microsoft and VMWare.
4. See if you can reclaim old equipment to setup a lab.
5. Request to tail more senior members of staff to see what they do and how they do it.
6. Update documentation to being it up to standard or, if there isn't any, start creating it.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:29 AM

1,104 posts, read 919,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodymen View Post
Everyone is busy as hell but only I am free as hell around here. It's like I am not even a member of this company.
Maybe the previous guys for the position were all goofing off all the time and they thought to treat you the same. Who knows?

Just tell them you want more work to do because you are bored as hell.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
Maybe the previous guys for the position were all goofing off all the time and they thought to treat you the same. Who knows?

Just tell them you want more work to do because you are bored as hell.
Well.. basically.. I am the only IT person in this location. My boss and rest of the team is in different office and it's about 2 hours away from here. They only come down here when there is a serious problem. I've been asking my boss that I get too much free time and want to learn more stuff but I get a feeling he doesn't want to teach me because(maybe) I learn too much/too fast and threatens his position someday. In order for me to do anything(besides troubleshooting), I have to get a approval from my boss and he gives me an expression that.. err.. how should I put it. "Don't create more work for me" looks to me. This is my first IT job and considering I had no previous IT experience(for company size work), my pay and benefit is good but I want to learn more. I want to improve things here too but like I said, I can't do anything coz my boss doesn't approve it. lol.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:41 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,527,280 times
Keep on doing what you do and try to improve upon yourself in the meantime (training while at work of some sort whether independent or through work) and keep your resume updated for more challenging roles.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Keep on doing what you do and try to improve upon yourself in the meantime (training while at work of some sort whether independent or through work) and keep your resume updated for more challenging roles.
I suppose so. Nobody offered me better pay or benefit than here coz I had no professional experience in the field. I suppose I will stay here for work experience time and get few more certifications so I can apply for better roles somewhere else. Well.. who knows.. if I stay here a little longer, they may have a change of heart and teach me some more or promote me for higher position. Guess, all I can do right now is take as much as I can from my current role and self-study till I get a better offer.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:51 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,642,297 times
Quote:
I recent got hired by private company as IT person. This is basically my job role.

*Manage network(about 100+ computers here at my work place)
*Manage IP phones
*Manage Server
*helpdesk role
*Manage access card & ip camera

so basically.. everything is already set and running when I got here. I get about 2-3 helpdesk call a day and it usually takes me an hour or two at max to solve them. I get ip phone setup or access card problem but that doesn't happen often. There's nothing to manage for server side as it's already set up and my boss doesn't want me to touch it. They just told me if I see any unusual lights pattern on switch or router in server room. So.. busy days aside(very rare occasion), I get to goof off about 6 hours a day out of 8 hours working time. I get bored to death because there's nothing to do and nobody ever gives me any orders or proper training. So i guess my role here is helpdesk + system admin but well.. nobody gave me any training since I got here about 6 months ago.. at first I liked it because I get so much free time and nobody bossed me around but now, I am bored to death and I feel like I am not getting my job experience right. I suppose to be learning all the time and practice IT stuff etc so I can make progress through my career. Damn.. I even brought my books and videos for IT certs to work so I can keep my skills sharp and make a progress. I mean.. I was expecting the company would train me but it just ended up I am training myself. Are all system/network admin job like this? Of course, it's better than work at call center that gets call 24/7 but it still worries me a bit that I am getting too much free time. It's like I am the only one work and act separated from the company. Everyone is busy as hell but only I am free as hell around here. It's like I am not even a member of this company.
I have over 18 years of experience. Usually, a situation like yours eventually gets "noticed" and high management will order mid-level management to expand upon the "assets" and don't waste resources. Which means this is likely the "calm" before the "storm". Most network engineers I worked with are overburdened with assignments - especially nowadays with Iaas, PaaS and SaaS in the cloud. There are also mobile networks for iOS apps and Android.

The first thing that comes to mind is testing. A lot of apps need testing with wireless communication with tools like wireshark. If a test manager gets "wind" of your availability, you may be assigned to run a bunch of tests with wireshark and communication protocols.

Enjoy it while it lasts. In my experience, such a grace period eventually ends. Expect mid-level managers to get wind of your availability soon and come on over with assignments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy3rjQGc6lA

Old 05-30-2017, 09:58 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,098,725 times
Quote:
Keeping 100 computers up to date with AV, firewall rules, local routing policies, and system updates should take a bit of time. Routers for a company generally need regular updates, and firewall rules usually require some management.

Do you manage software updates on the 100 computers, are they all up to date with all software and operating systems installed? Is any computer running an expired operating system. Do your switches and router distinguish various local private networks?

Is the server backed up regularly? Are all significant computers backed up?

If you aren't doing this, someone else is, or you'd have been hit with ransomeware.

Managing a network and 100 computers with server is a full time job for a single person imo.

Which router do you have, did you check vulnerabilities, how often do you update router or switch firmware? Any PoE? Cat 5, 5e, 6, etc all labeled and known? Any failure or pending failure on any switch node?

If Cisco are you IOS trained?

Old 05-30-2017, 09:58 AM

I sure hope so but then again, I don't think this company will do that coz they are not IT heavy company. Even my boss doesn't code anything himself and nobody in IT team runs any tests or wireshark etc. Seriously.. I think even my boss has so much free time in his hand. He says he is managing SAP system but he doesn't code SAP. Our company gets SAP from 3rd party and all he does is manage it and make weekly report to a general manager. Things have been running like this forever for this company. They have hired small company for network setup and they stay in my boss office to do troubleshooting for him. Honestly.. I learn more from them than my IT boss.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:10 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,913 times
Welcome to IT Help desk that's pretty much life as a help desk person.

I volunteer to become more a Desktop Support person and it keeps me busy.
At least in a school, you get to travel to different school sites while supporting technology for students and teachers.

At least you are not working in McDonalds many people would kill to have the opportunity you have even if its dread boring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment