Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 04:40 PM

809 posts, read 1,332,065 times

Advertisements

I have an employee that is rather difficult. Very negative, everything is a problem. The latest issue is as follows. A newspaper wants to do a lifestyles story on our company. The newspaper is located about 2 hrs from me and in this employees territory. In order to save me time commuting, I emailed her and told her the contact info for the reporter, and she could make arrangements.

The response was she does not authorize her name to be used in such reports. I sort of understand that she wants privacy, but I googled her name and there are many articles that include her name and position. These articles were generated by our clients. Her name and phone number appear on the company website. She helped create the website, so I know she is aware of this.

She is very good at her job. The clients love her. The problem is she wants to do everything her way. She acts as tho she is independent. Doesn't want to be part of the team.

Suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 05:02 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,552,018 times
respect her choice, then fire her and find one that complies. her being good at her job doesn't mean the next person won't be as good or better

if clients like her that much, one of them will hire her. no need to worry yourself over it

she is being paid by the business, not doing this hurts the business marketing, so it hurts the business

Old 06-25-2017, 05:03 PM

12,860 posts, read 9,080,750 times
Name and phone on the company website are for business. Did client articles publish her name without permission or was she strong armed into it.

If the employee doesn't want to be a media center of attention, then why are you forcing the issue. Dealing with media is really a management issue. Drive the two hours over to visit the reporter and do the interview because that falls within management's job. You said she's good and the clients love her. So let her do her job and have clients loving her.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:34 PM

809 posts, read 1,332,065 times
MSLfan and tnff have 2 opposite opinions. Thanks for making me look at it from both sides.

When her name appeared previously she was the one that contacted the press. She had no problem at that time because it made her look even better to the clients. I don't want to give out too much information, I would hate for someone to know who I am or who is she is (highly unlikely, but posters have said they were identified in a few instances). This really is not a management job- the press wants to interview and do a story about her territory and her clients. It just wasn't her idea, so she doesn't want to do it.
She has been off for a few weeks and we have discovered she wasn't following company policies. She wants to work for us but wants to do things her way. In the past, I was fairly sure this was happening but senior management was weak and always said to overlook it. We now have new senior management and they agree with me. It isn't a one person company and everyone must follow the rules.

A perfect example of her stretching the truth and doing it her way is she told us one client required her to be at a monthly meeting. No if ands or buts about it. I asked to attend with her and she told me the client doesn't want extra people only her. When she was on sick leave I asked if they wanted me to attend. Turns out the employee was welcome at the meeting but it wasn't mandatory and I was told I could attend the meetings with her anytime I wanted. I didn't even need to give advanced notice just show up. Our company changed our staff meetings because of the so called mandatory meetings she needed to attend. Again, the former senior management told me not to rock the boat, to overlook issues like this. We do have a meeting next week with HR about the meetings.

The issue with the press is just another issue with this employee. Luckily we have a new senior management that is not tolerating these types of behaviors.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:40 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,552,018 times
in that light, sounds like you guys let her get away with too many things

she could be stealing company time and you wouldn't even know it

fire her already, new management agrees with enforcing rules

Old 06-25-2017, 06:13 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,887,147 times
Doesn't sound like she has a protected reason (religion, stalker, violent ex) for keeping her name out, she could certainly be ordered to do it.

A simple reason to term is she doesn't.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:22 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,193,389 times
When the client used her name was it in connection with your company or did they leave your company name out of the article? First thing I thought of was she might be thinking of going out on her own and didn't want to be associated with a company.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:38 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,095,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
I have an employee that is rather difficult. Very negative, everything is a problem. The latest issue is as follows. A newspaper wants to do a lifestyles story on our company. The newspaper is located about 2 hrs from me and in this employees territory. In order to save me time commuting, I emailed her and told her the contact info for the reporter, and she could make arrangements.

The response was she does not authorize her name to be used in such reports. I sort of understand that she wants privacy, but I googled her name and there are many articles that include her name and position. These articles were generated by our clients. Her name and phone number appear on the company website. She helped create the website, so I know she is aware of this.

She is very good at her job. The clients love her. The problem is she wants to do everything her way. She acts as tho she is independent. Doesn't want to be part of the team.

Suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Why would you want her to do the interview with the reporter? Stop being lazy and do the 2 hr commute. Are you and this employee at the same level employment wise? If not, you are the boss and she is just a senior sales rep, i just don't see why you would want her to do it. An interview with the media is for Execs not mid to low level employees.

What other examples do you have of her doing things her ways? I would also push back on my boss on doing a interview with the media. Your company should have some sort of structure. I would not want every employee contacting or interacting with the media.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:39 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,695,541 times
If employee can't learn to be part of a team, then PIP and go from there.

Will be tough as she's 'loved' by her clients, but who cares, she's not the boss, it's either your way or the highway.

You give some people an inch, as it looks like the situation there has been for years, and they'll take 10 miles.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:55 PM

12,860 posts, read 9,080,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Why would you want her to do the interview with the reporter? Stop being lazy and do the 2 hr commute. Are you and this employee at the same level employment wise? If not, you are the boss and she is just a senior sales rep, i just don't see why you would want her to do it. An interview with the media is for Execs not mid to low level employees.

What other examples do you have of her doing things her ways? I would also push back on my boss on doing a interview with the media. Your company should have some sort of structure. I would not want every employee contacting or interacting with the media.
Exactly. You can't control the company message if everyone speaks independently for the company. Something just isn't syncing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment