Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 03:56 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,288,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purekoryo View Post
UPDATE*
I have completed all interviews and the HR Director stated that everyone really liked me and that the final thing to do was just do a casual meeting over lunch and perhaps tour one of their plants in the country and see if I still like the company. Then she stated that she would extend an offer immediately afterwards. Parallel to this, I have two other places that I've interviewed with and at the last stage of the process (no offers yet). One of those two companies is around what I'm looking for salary wise and the other is actually a good bit higher (and higher position). Albeit, the stress level will be higher as well.
Sounds good!

To answer your initial question, all that means is they are agreeing to go forward because they think they can work something out with you. Which means the base salary and total compensation might be lower than you expected, but they have confidence they can either match what you are asking for or soften you up to convince you to take less. Don't be surprised if they try to offer less, so you need to be prepared for this.

Ignore any comments about being greedy. It is the employer who is being greedy to offer you less, but it is normal for you to ask for what you are worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 04:59 AM

42 posts, read 64,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Sounds good!

To answer your initial question, all that means is they are agreeing to go forward because they think they can work something out with you. Which means the base salary and total compensation might be lower than you expected, but they have confidence they can either match what you are asking for or soften you up to convince you to take less. Don't be surprised if they try to offer less, so you need to be prepared for this.

Ignore any comments about being greedy. It is the employer who is being greedy to offer you less, but it is normal for you to ask for what you are worth.

Thanks for the feedback! Very good point!

Old 06-30-2017, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasiscakes View Post
Awesome! That is so great, congrats on the pending job offer and reaching the final stages for the other 2! I am in the job hunting process too, and gosh, finding a job is a job itself! Haha, like you, I am in the final stages of interviews too.. let's hope for some good news and we can e-celebrate
Thanks and I hope you get what you wanted!

Old 07-20-2017, 03:57 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
My new company knew what I was making and didn't have the budget to give me 10-15% more that that. Since I've been unemployed since November, I took the offer that equaled what I was making in November. I didn't want to jinx myself. They knew I wasn't working so they didn't have to match my last salary, in fact they could have lowered their offer, but didn't.

Since you are employed, ask for what you would want and would incentitize you to make your move to the new company. Good luck!
If they're serious about keeping you, they were right not to lower their offer. Problem is, once you have a job, it's easier for you to jump ship to position that'll pay more. By paying more for you now, it's a stronger incentive for anyone to stay.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:11 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,901 times
well OP - what happened?

Old 10-12-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
well OP - what happened?
wow, I have been very busy lately and totally forgot about following up.

So I did accept the offer and have been working in the new company for couple of months now. The negotiation went OK. I wasn't able to as high on the salary but will be getting an extra week of vacation in two years and having two of my remaining graduate courses paid in full. Thus far the company seems OK and the travel isn't that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment