Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 07:27 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Make sure they know you are doing fantastic, making more money than ever, are loving your job, etc. LOL at the jerks wishing they could do what you've done.
This... I'd tell the jerks anything I could think of to make 'em insanely jealous.
Take it way over the top, LaVar Ball style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 07:55 PM

2,276 posts, read 1,670,725 times
I think they may be miserable in their job, and perhaps are looking for a new job with you and your new venture.

Speaking from experience . . . .

Old 06-27-2017, 08:17 PM

390 posts, read 379,928 times
I'd have a huge party showing how great you are doing you love your new venture so glad you left best decision ever- etc etc.

The next day. Block them.

But that's just me.....

Old 06-27-2017, 08:58 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,554,265 times
I've seen several people cut off links with their former colleagues and I can tell you they always end up worse than when they left. Having a professional network is very important unless you have hit the jackpot. Keep in touch with those whom you respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxField View Post
Hello everyone. A few months back i left a workplace that i used to hate. I was eventually going to quit the 9-5 anyway because i had a dream of starting my own venture. But this particular workplace was so toxic it re enforced my decision.

There were only 2-3 nice people to work with, the rest were passive aggressive bullies who'd pretend that you're family (I hate this idea, but that's what they wanted everyone to believe), but talk behind your back, make crude remarks about your appearance, beliefs, mannerisms and make sexual comments on the women. If you stood up against it they'd all laugh at you and gang up on you and make sure you will never do that again.

Now when i let everyone know that i was going to do my own work, only a few of them congratulated me genuinely, the rest i could tell, were hoping i would fail. When i quit i was genuinely happy that these toxic people were gone from my life, and i would never see or hear from them ever again.

Fast forward to now, they have contacted me 7 times within the last month. All of them to find out how I'm doing and to play catch up, which i have no interest in whatsoever. Even seeing their names on my phone screen pisses me off. This includes the few coworkers who actually were nice to me and i liked, but the fact that they are still connected to the rest puts me off.

How do i deal with this in a way that doesn't make me look like a bad person, or am i even crazy to think that it will make me look bad? Please help

Old 06-28-2017, 07:54 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,897 times
Why don't you just block the numbers of the people who are calling you that you didn't like and the ones that you liked...keep in touch with them if you want.How are the nice ones connected to the bad ones?..besides working at the same place...but what does that have to do with them..the good ones...calling you?

Old 06-28-2017, 10:17 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,681 times
They are all on the same side--not yours. Don't let it bother you, as it will soon stop if left alone. Good luck on your future endeavors.

As for the comment on networking, remember that what you see in those people is also seen by others--you will be judged by the company you keep. Flush 'em all.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:18 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Hello everyone. A few months back i left a workplace that i used to hate. I was eventually going to quit the 9-5 anyway because i had a dream of starting my own venture. But this particular workplace was so toxic it re enforced my decision.

There were only 2-3 nice people to work with, the rest were passive aggressive bullies who'd pretend that you're family (I hate this idea, but that's what they wanted everyone to believe), but talk behind your back, make crude remarks about your appearance, beliefs, mannerisms and make sexual comments on the women. If you stood up against it they'd all laugh at you and gang up on you and make sure you will never do that again.

Now when i let everyone know that i was going to do my own work, only a few of them congratulated me genuinely, the rest i could tell, were hoping i would fail. When i quit i was genuinely happy that these toxic people were gone from my life, and i would never see or hear from them ever again.

Fast forward to now, they have contacted me 7 times within the last month. All of them to find out how I'm doing and to play catch up, which i have no interest in whatsoever. Even seeing their names on my phone screen pisses me off. This includes the few coworkers who actually were nice to me and i liked, but the fact that they are still connected to the rest puts me off.

How do i deal with this in a way that doesn't make me look like a bad person, or am i even crazy to think that it will make me look bad? Please help

A couple of things.

Why do they have your phone number? My coworkers never had my cell phone number. A boss yes,as a contact number, coworkers no need.

When you leave a toxic work enviroment whether you go to a new company or do what you did, you don't tell anyone. You're leaving end of story.

You created your own drama.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:07 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,288,516 times
Quote:

Make you look bad to who? Sounds like it was a stupid and toxic environment to be in, and I'm glad you aren't there any longer.

Lesson learned here. When you leave a job to do your own thing, don't tell anyone that's what you are doing, because this is what happens. No reason to subject yourself to a bunch of people who don't understand you waiting to see you fail. When I've left jobs, I never told them where I was going and or what I intended to do. I gave a vague answer like "Take an overdue vacation and then make a decision when I get back". That stopped the questions. After all, anyone who was really important to you as a co-worker you can let them know later.

If I were you, I would have my phone number changed and don't let them know the new phone number. If you are getting e-mail from them, do the same thing, or put it in a filter to ignore it. If for some reason you don't want to change your phone number, just block their calls or put them on ignore if you can do that with your set-up.

The other reason you don't want to hear your former co-workers is you don't need questions about work from the old place, gossip and the usual complaining session about it. You moved on from that place, don't allow them to come along for the ride.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I can understand not wanting to have any contact with the toxic people but not with the people that were nice to you. It's good to keep a good network of professional friends.

You might not understand their situation maybe they feel stuck in the mud with this job and don't see anything better.

This includes the few coworkers who actually were nice to me and i liked, but the fact that they are still connected to the rest puts me off.
If they want to make a connection, have them do a Linkedin. Otherwise, it isn't helpful to listen to even nice people talk about the old place and gossip. It does the OP no good especially when starting at on your own to start a new business venture. The OP needs to be focused on that, and not having second thoughts about what is going on back at the old place.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Document, Document, Document!
That would be funny, and send complaints to HR after you leave that their employees are calling and harassing you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment