Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 06:13 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
a very short OP with the phrase.........."When does it cross the line if you are an hourly employee "
You're right and I'm one of the guilty. Overlooked the qualifier but I doubt it would change my answer much. I think it's a matter of dedication to your job and that dedication doesn't revolve around whether your pay is hourly or salary. If I was hourly I would have no problem with a text or phone call that could be handled in a few minutes. If it extended to an hour then I'd expect to be paid for it, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 06:49 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
It's neither a poor work ethic or bad attitude toward authority. It is often due to bad management that employees are required to be called after hours or work long hours.

LOL at all of the buzz words and cliches that exist these days to guilt people into giving up their free time to their employers. You can still be a professional "team player" without giving up your free time.
Agree, it's one thing if it is very rare that it happens.

Some on here seem to think it's the norm for this to be a regular, reoccuring issue. It's bad management and lack or organizational skills when it goes on constantly.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:32 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,682,055 times
That would have been tough for me, because I don't carry my phone around at home. I was a receptionist for a long time, and on my days off I didn't even want to hear a damn phone ring.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:11 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Agree, it's one thing if it is very rare that it happens.

Some on here seem to think it's the norm for this to be a regular, reoccuring issue. It's bad management and lack or organizational skills when it goes on constantly.
I don't think anyone here said it was a constant thing. People just seem to think in extreme terms online.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:25 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
I have a pretty high level position, but I don't have a deputy I can officially hand things off to when I'm out sick or on vacation. I'm pretty much on call 24/7. I don't have "days off" as much as I have days I'm simply not present in the office . . . but still taking calls and monitoring email. It can get a little exhausting, but if they're calling me, it's for something important. So I answer.
I doubt you are an hourly employee.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
If you don't have an important job that others rely on what you do. But for the rest of those who don't simply come into the office, grab coffee and keep the seat warm, a business does need to continue and there are others and clients who depend on your work. That is, if your work was important to begin with, not just sitting around there taking up space.
I doubt you are an hourly employee.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't think anyone here said it was a constant thing. People just seem to think in extreme terms online.
Did you skip post #16 ?
........."For me it happens nearly every day and I don't have a problem with it ".....

Old 07-17-2017, 05:18 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
im on vacation and will get many calls per day

im a business consultant and have background with many businesses and some of the questions will be difficult to answer by anyone else

i dont mind answering even on vaca...its job security

Old 07-17-2017, 05:43 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Did you skip post #16 ?
........."For me it happens nearly every day and I don't have a problem with it ".....
Ok you're right, one person out of 91 posts, so obviously this is a major problem for City Data users.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:09 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Post Fair Labor Standards Act requires non-exempt employees be compensated for "all work"

Employers should carefully consider how the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and state laws apply.

FLSA requires employees be paid for all work “suffered or permitted,” even if the work was not specifically requested. FLSA does not include a definition of “work,” but the term generally includes all time when the employee is acting under the direction or control of the employer, or is acting primarily for the benefit of the employer. This can include time spent traveling, attending training sessions, answering emails, or just waiting for something to happen.

I'm not saying that every employee should try to stick it to their employer each time they answer the phone during time off, but if you wanted to, you could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment