Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 11:02 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,266,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
He ended up doing a hobby of his - Repairing old radios. In his home. He just deals with people through his web page. He doesn't make much money but business is booming.
Similar concept... watchmaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 01:41 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,665,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
OP

First things first. Find out what you like to do, what interests you, AND what you're good at. That's really the only way to go. Once you know what it is that you might like to do for your life's work, it'll be a secondary issue to figure out how to do it mostly be yourself, especially if you're really, really, really good at it.

You have a preference for not putting up with BS? Well, take a ticket and wait in line. Nobody wants to put up with it.

But remember this: While there is plenty of crap in corporate offices, retailing, the professions, the skilled trades, and everywhere else for that matter, there are also many, many good, decent, straightforward, down to earth people in all walks of life and you can't let your attitude cut you off from them. You sound like you're trying so hard to avoid the bad, you're missing out on the chance to connect with the good.

Also know that a lot of "loner" type jobs--mainly blue-collar type jobs-- have the highest suicide rates in the U.S. according to the CDC. Lumberjacks, fisherman, carpenters, mechanics, construction workers, and the like, lead the list:

These jobs have the highest rate of suicide - CBS News

This is really scary, though I'd heard a little about it before. Without advanced skills, you could be a night watchman, or many overnight jobs. I manned a small airport overnight by myself and all I did was take a couple phone calls a night, as pilots checked in. Almost no interaction with people, no skills required.

I also did the sleepover shift at group homes. Get paid to sleep. No one ever woke up as they were all medicated. Easy-peasy. Night shifts get paid more too...

Old 07-03-2017, 02:06 PM

136 posts, read 129,915 times
Strong introvert here.

Medical provider, which is dealing with people all day, every day. I've learned to adapt over the years, but I still get drained and short-tempered after a long week of fixing 100 people's problems.

I think we live in a society that favors extroversion. There are fewer and fewer jobs out there that dont require dealing with other people on some level, be it the public or intra-profession. Between consumerism and the customer-service obsession of most corporations and businesses, it's all but impossible to escape.

For a loner or true introvert, jobs with independence and minimal supervision are best. Avoid direct customer service. I would also avoid a job like a commercial fisherman where you are stuck on a boat with 9 or 10 dudes for weeks at a time. If it sucks, you've got nowhere to go.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:35 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,292,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Ive never seen weird, introverted people screw others over. Ive seen plenty of extroverted, sociopathic, Greedy money grubbers do such though.

You show me a quiet weird, introvert sitting at home keeping to himself, and I'll show you someone NOT causing any trouble unless they go nuts. But thats mainly the result of someone not getting their proper medication
And that's just how the neighbors describe the serial killers after they've been found out to the news reporters. "He was kind of quiet and weird. Just sitting at home and kept to himself. I'm totally shocked that he climbed up to the clock tower and started shooting at people like that. And when the police broke down his door, they found these women there he was keeping as prisoners. Just a sad situation".

Old 07-03-2017, 02:40 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,292,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Programmer.
I don't know why people think that. I work in IT as a software engineer and you can't work entirely alone with no co-workers, no boss, no clients. You can't just hire yourself and keep to yourself.

No, people who have this, it is a social disorder and they need professional help because this is a handicap. If it prevents you from doing a field you would enjoy, or working for certain companies because you are concerned about the social interactions, they is just punishing yourself. If you had a broken leg, you'd go to the doctor, you wouldn't just try to find jobs where you didn't have to walk.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:55 PM

45,457 posts, read 60,680,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
I don't know why people think that. I work in IT as a software engineer and you can't work entirely alone with no co-workers, no boss, no clients. You can't just hire yourself and keep to yourself.

No, people who have this, it is a social disorder and they need professional help because this is a handicap. If it prevents you from doing a field you would enjoy, or working for certain companies because you are concerned about the social interactions, they is just punishing yourself. If you had a broken leg, you'd go to the doctor, you wouldn't just try to find jobs where you didn't have to walk.
The OP doesn't have a social disorder. His career is not going the way he thinks it should, people he feels are unworthy are getting promoted ahead of him and he has nothing but criticism for his coworkers and superiors.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:00 PM

23,346 posts, read 18,930,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Being a ranger is almost all about dealing with personalities.
These days the "forest ranger" or "park ranger" doesn't exist. There are rangers who spend all their time dealing with the public because they are basically police, rangers who spend all their time giving educational programs to the public, there are timber cruisers who spend their time surveying and evaluating forestry resources, and also scientists who spend their time in the field collecting data or in the office analyzing data.

OP, maybe the thing that would help most is to figure out more specifically what it is about other people you hate, and learn ways to deal with those aspects better. For example, if its constant chatter and noise from a group, that could steer you in a very different direction than dreading to work with one person all the time. Not tolerating BS and wanting none of it is pretty much impossible. If you don't have co-workers doing it you may still have to deal with customers who dish it out. If you don't work for yourself and have no clients you can't avoid some of it from a manager or supervisor. There are ways to handle it....if you find work that you are really interested in and enjoy, you'd be surprised how easily you can let the BS and other people roll right off your back.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:26 PM

3,071 posts, read 2,410,711 times
Loner here. I've had a lot of different jobs and generally got along with coworkers. The only people I clashed with had problems with many other coworkers. It could be that the OP has had to work with more than his share of jerks, in which case just getting another job will probably help. (An aside: I once had a job taking incoming calls--sometimes for 10 hours a day. I was good at it and enjoyed it after I physically adjusted to talking for 10 hours a day; calls aren't as tiring as face-to-face contact.)

However, if just about everybody OP meets seems like a jerk, it could be a case of getting back what you put out there.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:14 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,867,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
And that's just how the neighbors describe the serial killers after they've been found out to the news reporters. "He was kind of quiet and weird. Just sitting at home and kept to himself. I'm totally shocked that he climbed up to the clock tower and started shooting at people like that. And when the police broke down his door, they found these women there he was keeping as prisoners. Just a sad situation".
Haha, when I read the original post, I said "This is either a Uni Bomber or Serial Killer in the making".

Seems like a lot of pent up hostility there.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:56 AM

9,011 posts, read 13,852,888 times
OP,think of it differently.

I have written this before,but people from other cultures are easier to work around(mainly non-American born)

I find Indians come to work to well,work.

Not too much gossip was going on,and they are quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment