Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 07:59 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times

Advertisements

So I have a job that is decent and a real career and pays decent, and sometimes I get asked if it is hard. I'm not sure how to answer, I mean I am good at it so it doesn't seem that hard to me, but it would be hard to someone less experienced or competent. So for those of you with higher paying careers, "is your job hard"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 08:55 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
So I have a job that is decent and a real career and pays decent, and sometimes I get asked if it is hard. I'm not sure how to answer, I mean I am good at it so it doesn't seem that hard to me, but it would be hard to someone less experienced or competent. So for those of you with higher paying careers, "is your job hard"?
That's my answer to the question, as well. I'd be asked the same thing when I was going through school. Most things are just easier when you're better at them.

My job requires quick and correct decision making, which is why there is a battery of aptitude tests for entry. Someone who was good enough to pass those tests shouldn't be struggling.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:22 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
I agree with both of you. My job could not be one by a random person off the street. It takes a fair bit of skill and knowledge. But i wouldn't describe it as hard. Maybe complex, but not hard.

Loggers have a hard job.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:31 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,320,177 times
I work in the healthcare field with doctors and nurses. My job includes several duties and is loaded (with paperwork and labor work like ordering tons of supplies - three, four big skids each week - and divide them for many units and deliver them to each unit).

There are times some people (the professional team, the residents and their families) are very demanding . Some doctors write orders/referrals for their patients and want them to be done immediately. The unit managers and nurses need some medical supplies or forms right away. I need to keep myself calm and cool. I'm organized and experienced on my job. So I don't say it's hard for me. I find that before starting each day, write a Things To Do list, and put a check mark on each task that I finish, and learn to be mindful really help me to work productively. I do make plan(s) ahead of time a little bit (like for the afternoon, next day or next week if it it's not too crazy busy); but mainly I pay attention to each moment on what I do. Try not to worry too much about the next hour or tomorrow.

My job is not boring at all. I love my job. And I am happy that my Leader is understanding, and leaves me with certain autonomy.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I agree with both of you. My job could not be one by a random person off the street. It takes a fair bit of skill and knowledge. But i wouldn't describe it as hard. Maybe complex, but not hard.

Loggers have a hard job.
Right. And it depends on what definition of hard or difficult we are using. Physically, mentally, emotionally, etc.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:42 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
I work in the commercial seafood industry (primarily Alaska) but in an administrative capacity, not a fisher. Currently I'm in Naknek, AK.

What I do is not hard for me but would be too much sacrifice for many being away from home, family, friends, urban resources, etc.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:10 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Just smile and answer that nobody is going to pay you a big salary to sit all day eating popcorn and watching the telly. Say that the job is challenging and involves a lot of responsibility. Say it cheerfully so that you aren't offensive about it.

The person who asks doesn't really care what the answer is. They don't care if the job is hard or easy for you. They are just looking for a job that pays a lot where they won't be expected to work for their salary. You tell them that the job is challenging and they move on, searching for their unicorn job elsewhere.

Or maybe they are just making social chit chat. Pretending to have polite interest.

People who are really interested in getting into your field do not ask if the job is hard. They ask what the job is really about and they ask what are the qualifications to get hired. They might also ask how difficult it is to get that sort of position.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Just smile and answer that nobody is going to pay you a big salary to sit all day eating popcorn and watching the telly. Say that the job is challenging and involves a lot of responsibility. Say it cheerfully so that you aren't offensive about it.

The person who asks doesn't really care what the answer is. They don't care if the job is hard or easy for you. They are just looking for a job that pays a lot where they won't be expected to work for their salary. You tell them that the job is challenging and they move on, searching for their unicorn job elsewhere.

Or maybe they are just making social chit chat. Pretending to have polite interest.

People who are really interested in getting into your field do not ask if the job is hard. They ask what the job is really about and they ask what are the qualifications to get hired. They might also ask how difficult it is to get that sort of position.
Not so fast! My office prides itself on the quality of our popcorn and popcorn machine.

The rest is also true. My specific job pays very well and it had been a secret within the company for a long time. Currently, they are promoting from within. This attracts those after money, but also those who don't really know what the job responsibilities entail. Knowing, interacting, and job shadowing those in my office goes further than bullet points on a resume.

If you don't know what's expected of you, then the job will be 'hard.'

Old 07-02-2017, 03:03 PM

204 posts, read 181,380 times
How much do you apply yourself ?
IS it a challenge ?

My divorced dad was on the road 80 hrs a week as a salesman
My single mom ran shotgun over two kids day and night
My brother worked two jobs to make ends meet

They all thought that they worked hard

Old 07-02-2017, 03:19 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
No my job is easy. The hard part is that I have zero room for error and it is so easy, that it is sometimes hard not to blow through it because THAT is where you make mistakes.

I love what I do!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment