Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 02:09 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,627,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Being upfront about it means doing that when you get the job offer, OP didn't do that.

They said the trip is in a few months(don't know exactly what that means but probably around 3 months).

They want to wait 2 months to prove themselves, than ask about time off a month later. Not a good strategy. Because it will come out that they knew about this trip when they accepted the job, shows a lack of planning(you don't plan a trip when you're on active job search), and they weren't up front so whether it's true or not gives the impression they're not honest about things.

Since they didn't open their mouths when they should have, pass on the family visit for now.
Yup.

You mention it DURING the job offer/negotiation stage, NOT after.

If job is as important as OP says it is, then cancel the vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 02:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
It be always told any new employer if I was talking a vacation. Not once was it a issue as long as you're upfront.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:32 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,296,719 times
I actually got few jobs because the other candidate they preferred over me wanted to take an immediate vacation or informed them about a pending vacation after accepting the job offer. So companies always have a backup. One never knows the backlog of work your manager has and might be under pressure to hire someone new and train them. You don't want them to reach out to the backup candidate... I have actually cancelled cruises, vacations, family weddings etc due to new job commitment but thats just me.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:15 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
I actually got few jobs because the other candidate they preferred over me wanted to take an immediate vacation or informed them about a pending vacation after accepting the job offer. So companies always have a backup. One never knows the backlog of work your manager has and might be under pressure to hire someone new and train them. You don't want them to reach out to the backup candidate... I have actually cancelled cruises, vacations, family weddings etc due to new job commitment but thats just me.
And I'd consider it a fortunate escape if a company retracted an offer because I had an already planned vacation and a life outside of work. I consider flexibility and an employer who supports a work/life balance essential and would not want to work someplace that didn't respect that.

My direct manager and I discuss time off and try to make sure we don't overlap much as we cover for each other as needed. But other than that, my schedule is within my control, even on a daily level, I can come and go as I need when I have other calls on my time, as a mom and as the daughter of an elderly parent.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:25 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,997 times
The factors really are which way you lean towards, what in industry you're in, and how "chill" they are with this.

I've been in one job where one of my coworkers was known as "the guy who took 1.5 weeks off after starting". He got married, they booked the honeymoon for a certain date, but he got laid off, then hired by our current employer back then around when the honeymoon was set.

Other caess, I've heard of cases where they will go to the backup candidate (assuming he hasn't moved on. Ironically enough, telling the employer later about your vacation may keep them from being able to dig up the backup candidates).

If it's a job where it's hard to find good people, or people in general (requires lots and/or specific education, relo to a lousy area, lots of background checks, etc.), then THEY will be hard pressed to find a good candidate within 1 month, or whatever. Some places WANT YOU to spend time with your loved ones, friends, family members, etc., and they've accounted their schedules and deliveries to account for this (that that life happens, as well as the usual delays). Especially with family trips, it's not just YOU that needs to be free, but you also need to coordinate with working family members (who also need to deal with being able to get time off), and children in school when they have breaks. I've heard one place where even the employer was joking how they appreciate one their employees pulling yet another round of overtime, but do get home soon so that his wife won't serve divorce papers

Other employers may not like this, especially if you can be replaced easily. I've had jobs where I erred on the side of caution and cancelled some more important trips, and family and friends have understood.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:38 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
I finally got the long searched for ideal fit job along with an offer. Excellent location, pay, benefits, and I really like my boss and it's a career builder for me.

I had a trip I had already booked for visiting family a few months from now. I won't have enough PTO by that for the full trip, but can take unpaid time off for that, money is not the issue.

I just worry about scaring them away at this point by bringing it up now. I figure I can bring it up a couple months into the job once I'm proven? The hiring manager is pretty relaxed about dress code, how many hours you work, etc. All he cares about is results.

Still, it worries me that bringing it up now will result in scaring them away. I figure if I accept the job I'm already in, and if push comes to shove, I can reschedule the trip (already booked tickets). It's not like accepting the job and not mentioning it will hurt my chances of starting there. But bringing it up could potentially.

This job is important to me.
no way- tell them now! If you wait a few months in they may not believe you actually had the trip.. i would bring it up your first week (not sure if you said when you start) as you're getting settled in. Explain you understand it will be unpaid; but already made the commitment to family and paid for flights.

plus- vacation time is something employers are aware of - of course you may have planned vacations when you're jumping ship mid-year

Last edited by jribe; 07-18-2017 at 04:36 PM..

Old 07-18-2017, 06:14 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,072 times
Quote:
I finally got the long searched for ideal fit job along with an offer. Excellent location, pay, benefits, and I really like my boss and it's a career builder for me.

I had a trip I had already booked for visiting family a few months from now. I won't have enough PTO by that for the full trip, but can take unpaid time off for that, money is not the issue.

I just worry about scaring them away at this point by bringing it up now. I figure I can bring it up a couple months into the job once I'm proven? The hiring manager is pretty relaxed about dress code, how many hours you work, etc. All he cares about is results.

Still, it worries me that bringing it up now will result in scaring them away. I figure if I accept the job I'm already in, and if push comes to shove, I can reschedule the trip (already booked tickets). It's not like accepting the job and not mentioning it will hurt my chances of starting there. But bringing it up could potentially.

Most companies understand that people do have prior engagements that have already been booked or planned.As long as it doesn't interfere with training...then there isn't any issues. Just tell them ahead of time so that they can put it into their schedule.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:31 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,482,437 times
It's best to tell them as soon as you get the job offer. That way, they know from the beginning. Companies will usually accommodate you if they know in advance. If not, then cancel/reschedule the trip.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:05 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,848 times
Quote:

Like many people mentioned, I think it depends on the environment of your workplace. If it is a kind of smaller group of people, I would definitely not bring it up and just wait until you have some vacation time. Visiting family generally isn't one of those once in a lifetime things, so your security and reputation at work would seem to be more important in my opinion. I would much rather just not have the time off and have a job than get the days off and then in time the employer decides to replace me (and maybe that request was included in the reasons for doing that).

On the other hand if it is a larger workplace and they do have temps or as-needed people ("floaters" we call them where I work) that can cover you, then I would bring it up. Probably right at the outset, if it's only a few months away. It just depends if it seems like the right time to you.

Personally for me, I started a job last year in June and had my wedding planned in October-November. I work at a very large company however. I know I didn't talk about it at the outset (I did mention I was getting married, that's why I was moving to the location and looking for a job in the first place so the request wasn't totally out of nowhere); it seems it was in August or at the latest September after I had been working there for a few months that I mentioned my wedding plans to the company scheduler. There was no problem with it since there generally are floaters available that can cover shifts. So it just depends on the situation. Best wishes and congrats on the new job!

Old 07-19-2017, 09:32 AM

569 posts, read 439,970 times
I have been in the same situation and let them know at the very beginning. Never had an issue. I agree with the others that employers know that you have to make travel plans well in advance in many cases. I have even had my immediate supervisors work with me to work on Saturdays to build up some time in advance so that I did not have to take unpaid leave. I guess it depends on the company culture but I'm not sure I would want to work for someone who was not understanding about something planned and paid for before you got the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment