Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 08:10 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times

Advertisements

Entertainment and in some cases Education is a valid profession. They are producing something of value and making well presented and entertaining videos and presentations is not easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 09:10 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
How many years are you willing to do it for no money?

Even monkeys can type out Shakespeare supposedly given enough time
A very valid point, but I a feel a good amount of YouTubers and many who are huge now and became the "1% of YouTube" started back when they were in middle school and high school, where I assume they lived with their parents. So it's not too bad if you're building your brand and making nothing early on, since most still have to finish high school!

Now there are the excepts where a content creator, still in high school, basically caught that proverbial lightning in a bottle, and became huge and could have earned 5, 6 or even 7 figures a year when they were 15, 16, or 17 years old, which isn't too bad. I guess similar to child actors. I wonder if those big YouTubers, who were still in high school, and out-earning their parents, did they give their parents an allowance or pay off the mortgage for them?

Now for the YouTubers who started off when they were "older" and no longer living with their parents, I feel most if not all, had "regular jobs" or maybe "non-regular jobs" but at least had some form of income coming in to pay the bills and decided to start doing YouTube as a "side hustle", probably filming after work and on weekends. Then, if their channel took off or they slowly built their brand up where it was feasible to quit their regular job and become a full-time YouTube.

An example of this and a fairly recent one, is with this really nice Mormon family from Utah, where a few years ago the father was doing a simple school project with his young son of what's inside a baseball, I think. They made a video of cutting open a baseball, with a simple tripod and Sony handycam video recorder and uploaded it to YouTube and the rest they say is history. They became the "What's Inside?" channel and now have over 4 million subs and a couple viral videos in only 2 short years. They basically just cut things open, pretty simple concept.

The Dad, who is in his mid-30's, I think, was a medical device salesman, probably making high 5 figures or even low 6 figures, his wife also worked and both just recently quit their jobs to become full-time YouTubers. They seem somewhat smart, so I assume they crunched the numbers and figured it was worth leaving their jobs to just focus on YouTube, where they are now making more than they did in their previous line of work.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:11 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,727 times
They are running a business in a way, they are entertainers. Yes it's valid.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:14 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Millennials have largely abandoned the premise of "get a job with a good company and retire from it in 40 years," and they're most likely right.

Many of them, if not most, have accepted that their futures will be a churn of finding new jobs every few years and developing side hustles.

So for them, being a YouTuber is as valid an occupation as any other.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:38 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
I believe it is considered a a job because once they get more subscribers and are making money....they are basically providing a service. Fans want videos, quality videos. It takes time such as getting material together and lots of editing.

But on another note who says how long YouTube is going to be sustainable income. Although these people make money, if they aren't saving or investing their money, they are screwed and ultimately have no skills.

I don't know if you can get away with putting YouTube on your resume.
I don't think they would put Youtube on a resume. They are enterpreneurs and entertainers. Their skills are the same as any other enterpreneur or entertainer. If they had the savvy to find that opportunity and build a following, they will probably be able to adapt and evolve just fine.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I don't think they would put Youtube on a resume. They are enterpreneurs and entertainers. Their skills are the same as any other enterpreneur or entertainer. If they had the savvy to find that opportunity and build a following, they will probably be able to adapt and evolve just fine.
If they were making good money on YouTube, then sure they should put it on a resume, same as any other valid self-employment. That level of savvy would be of interest to many employers.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:00 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post
Well, lots of people like to joke how they should "get a real job". I envy them a lot. I wish I had the skillz and personality needed to make a living off just playing video games and making reaction videos lol.

One thing though, at least that's one area women can't say women are having a wage gap considering ad revenue based off of views and subscribers can't be sexist lol.
"wage gap" must be totally top of mind for you since you bring it up out of the blue on such a weird topic.

Just keep spelling stuff with "z's" instead of "s's" and you'll go far in life.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:02 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I don't think they would put Youtube on a resume.
I have seen people on LinkedIn who do YouTube either full-time or part-time as a side hustle and have "YouTube content creator" on there, I'm not saying that their CV/resume has it on there like that, but you never know. I guess you can call a YouTuber/Instagramer/Snapchater, a "social media entrepreneur" or just put "social media freelancer" on your resume, which seems like a catch-all now a days.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:03 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
A very valid point, but I a feel a good amount of YouTubers and many who are huge now and became the "1% of YouTube" started back when they were in middle school and high school, where I assume they lived with their parents. So it's not too bad if you're building your brand and making nothing early on, since most still have to finish high school!

Now there are the excepts where a content creator, still in high school, basically caught that proverbial lightning in a bottle, and became huge and could have earned 5, 6 or even 7 figures a year when they were 15, 16, or 17 years old, which isn't too bad. I guess similar to child actors. I wonder if those big YouTubers, who were still in high school, and out-earning their parents, did they give their parents an allowance or pay off the mortgage for them?

Now for the YouTubers who started off when they were "older" and no longer living with their parents, I feel most if not all, had "regular jobs" or maybe "non-regular jobs" but at least had some form of income coming in to pay the bills and decided to start doing YouTube as a "side hustle", probably filming after work and on weekends. Then, if their channel took off or they slowly built their brand up where it was feasible to quit their regular job and become a full-time YouTube.

An example of this and a fairly recent one, is with this really nice Mormon family from Utah, where a few years ago the father was doing a simple school project with his young son of what's inside a baseball, I think. They made a video of cutting open a baseball, with a simple tripod and Sony handycam video recorder and uploaded it to YouTube and the rest they say is history. They became the "What's Inside?" channel and now have over 4 million subs and a couple viral videos in only 2 short years. They basically just cut things open, pretty simple concept.

The Dad, who is in his mid-30's, I think, was a medical device salesman, probably making high 5 figures or even low 6 figures, his wife also worked and both just recently quit their jobs to become full-time YouTubers. They seem somewhat smart, so I assume they crunched the numbers and figured it was worth leaving their jobs to just focus on YouTube, where they are now making more than they did in their previous line of work.
The internet is fickle...who knows what people will want a year or two from now. I'd never make it my "day job" unless the "trained" work I did wouldn't suffer by taking a break from it.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I have seen people on LinkedIn who do YouTube either full-time or part-time as a side hustle and have "YouTube content creator" on there, I'm not saying that their CV/resume has it on there like that, but you never know. I guess you can call a YouTuber/Instagramer/Snapchater, a "social media entrepreneur" or just put "social media freelancer" on your resume, which seems like a catch-all now a days.
My Millennial daughter makes $60,000 a year as a social media consultant for two companies.

Her service entails keeping up with the forums that discuss those business areas. In the important forums, she has both official and "under cover" accounts. In the undercover accounts, she has to be active enough across the board to be seen as a bona fide forum member when she makes a remark about the company she represents. She knows which forum members carry weight and need to be handled carefully, and which can be blown off. She knows how and when to come in under her "official" account and when to stay quiet.

She has apps that alert her whenever a mention is made in a forum or social media about the companies she represents, and she's on it immediately--day or night--to determine whether a response is needed.

She knows how to step across the stones of the different cultures that inhabit different social media--Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, et cetera, all call for different ways of responding, or crap can escalate really fast. She knows how to do that.

When she market herself to a company, she first studies what they're doing wrong, then presents them a package of what they should have done and what she'd do for them. Most often, they just have someone who "likes social media" handling for them...an amateur.

She's not an amateur, she's a shark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment