Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 01:30 PM

55 posts, read 45,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I hate cleaning, but for the right amount of pay, I will clean. Maybe you need to up the salary.
I would if I had a say in that matter. That's up to the bosses. We already offer better wages than other cleaning companies in our area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I'm glad to hear that you are in a legit business.

Yes, cleaning done well can be backbreaking work, and with the competition in the business keeping down the rates you can charge, it must be very difficult hiring and keeping good legal workers.

Good luck, I hope you find a way to expand!
Yes, that's the issue we're running into. We clean exceptionally well and because of that it is a lot harder than a lot of people think when applying. So people don't want to stay for very long if we are able to get to the hiring point.
We charge more than other companies for our services but we still get business because the job we do is exceptional. This allows us to be able to pay our employees much better than the competitors.

I think it has to do with our area. There's a lot of job openings and not enough people to fill them, for even the entry-level non-career type of jobs. McDonalds, Wendy's, places like that even Jiffy Lube always have a hiring sign up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 01:41 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
One of the things I suspect you didn't notice (or if you did, you're just being disingenuous with us) is that those people were actually aided by their being alien.

You used the term "pooled their money" a couple of times.

Immigrants--because of their commonality with fellow immigrants--commonly pool their resources. As well, families all commonly work together (again, a pooling of resources) in a way that Americans do not do.

Moreover, the same factor of their alien-ness also makes it less likely that they can compete in the normal job market with Americans, unless they have certain specialized skills that make the competitive.

This doesn't make them any more entrepreneurial than Millennial...but it does give them impetus and resources in building brick and mortar small businesses that the average American Millennial doesn't have.

Now, if you go beyond brick and mortar, there are plenty of Millennials making money with "side hustles" on the Internet.
Not sure I follow?

Are you making the point that being foreign born or first generation is a leg up even with language, education and cultural barriers? So being less able to compete means success

My point is those I know started with nothing more than desire... and yes, a willingness to work together to achieve as a means to an end like Irish Tom...

I pooled money with my younger siblings to buy our first apartment building... youngest was 18 at the time... and he ponied up his money and also had been working for years... not to mention that he always had "Side Hustle" even in grade school he would buy a box Charms Blow Pops for 7 cents ea and sell them for 25 cents... this started in third grade...

Old 07-21-2017, 01:43 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Recently attempted to hire for an engineer position. This position was specifically designed for new college grads. Started with several hundred resumes. Most were eliminated in the first cut lacking basic qualifications. There's part of the problem -- some folks apply to everything in hopes of getting a random hit. Weeded it down to a group of candidates to interview. Over half of them turned down the interview. Made an offer to one. Couldn't come to agreement even though we offered a pretty generous package, someone else still beat us out. Tried again, made second offer. Same result.
Now we're on our third try.

Bottom line is top candidates are in demand and can negotiate. Problem is there really is a strong difference in quality between the top candidates and the rest. Not like A-B-C but more like A -----D--F. I've posted on this before but I was amazed how poor so many of the resumes were. No internships. No professional societies. No research/project while in college. Probably 80% were not much more than: Went to college; got degree in XYZ.

Whereas the top 20%: Went to college, got degree in XYZ and ABC; research in LMNOP led to published paper; member of project team in junior year, where I did X; captain of project team in senior year where I did Y. Member of blank and blank. President of blank. Internship at company K where I did blank that saved blank dollars.

Sure we can hire warm bodies. But finding qualified people who can learn and have initiative. That's a different story.

I need to hire people with experience. I long ago gave up on people who were all about their Internships, Member of so on and so forth. All it got me was expensive people who spent more time talking and less time actually working. Then after I spent a year training them they would jump to another company without a word. Just not show up one day.
So these days I Just look for what they have done and how long they have done it.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:49 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,224 times
I work as a machine learning engineer and it's pretty easy to find a job right now, especially in scientific and tech roles. With that said, a lot of positions are very specific and specialized, so it can often mean talking with a few companies before finding someone who is looking for your specific skill set. For example, a company may be looking for someone who is proficient in Natural Language Processing. Obviously, that's a specialized skill so it could take time depending on location and company standards. I do large scale time series analysis, which tends to be a smaller number of roles, so my job search takes slightly longer than usual.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:09 PM

322 posts, read 384,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
A fair wage? Where I work, we're constantly trying to fill openings. We're offering well over $100k for new college grads, and it usually takes months to fill a position. It has nothing to do with "unfair wages" or discrimination. There are just too many companies competing for the talent.
I'd sure love to know where you work as well. I'm a software developer over on the east coast (RTP, NC area) and I've got 2 years of sysadmin experience, 3 years of development experience and I'm only at $70k.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:14 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsuengineer256 View Post
I'd sure love to know where you work as well. I'm a software developer over on the east coast (RTP, NC area) and I've got 2 years of sysadmin experience, 3 years of development experience and I'm only at $70k.

Welcome to IT...
Anyhow you can go to Los Angeles and make 2x that and live in a shack somewhere under an overpass because you cant afford a house.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:15 PM

I'm in the SF Bay Area... some of the jobs the kids of my friends are landing are amazing... that is until they try to find housing near work... Santa Clara, San Mateo, San Francisco, etc.

I asked my 15 year old niece if she would be interested in baby sitting.. she told me she has a good job... made $140 that day.

She is a swimmer with Olympic aspirations and trains hours year round...

In her off time she gives swim lessons charging $20 each half hour... many parents here have signed up for water safe kids... and she loves it.

I realize it is only a summer job... but $40 an hour is 80K... not even 16... but she does have all her certificates...

Old 07-21-2017, 02:17 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Not sure I follow?

Are you making the point that being foreign born or first generation is a leg up even with language, education and cultural barriers? So being less able to compete means success

According to the article link provided in post #104 , those seeming "obstacles" are actually advantages. It encourages (if not forces) them to work together in ways that really aren't available to Americans.

Imaging a 400 meter race that one team is running as a 4-man relay. That's the average immigrant entrepreneur running against the average young American entrepreneur.

Quote:
My point is those I know started with nothing more than desire... and yes, a willingness to work together to achieve as a means to an end like Irish Tom...

I pooled money with my younger siblings to buy our first apartment building... youngest was 18 at the time... and he ponied up his money and also had been working for years... not to mention that he always had "Side Hustle" even in grade school he would buy a box Charms Blow Pops for 7 cents ea and sell them for 25 cents... this started in third grade...
And those resources to work together come from ties that the average American Millennial doesn't have...even though far more Millennials have the will to entrepreneurship than the average Boomer.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Welcome to IT...
Anyhow you can go to Los Angeles and make 2x that and live in a shack somewhere under an overpass because you cant afford a house.
The Hospital IT guy... well one of the 5 for the region is a working fool...

Last week he worked seven 15 hour days... he is making more than many of the docs... several are out for vacation and one is out on medical... attitude and talent.

No matter when or where the call comes his reply is the same... "I'm on my way"

This has not gone unnoticed but for now he is that guy... his other co-workers have family and don't take it well having to leave for work...

$45 straight time plus 1.5 and double time plus weekend differential... it really adds up quick~!

Old 07-21-2017, 02:28 PM

581 posts, read 456,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I'm in the SF Bay Area... some of the jobs the kids of my friends are landing are amazing... that is until they try to find housing near work... Santa Clara, San Mateo, San Francisco, etc.

I asked my 15 year old niece if she would be interested in baby sitting.. she told me she has a good job... made $140 that day.

She is a swimmer with Olympic aspirations and trains hours year round...

In her off time she gives swim lessons charging $20 each half hour... many parents here have signed up for water safe kids... and she loves it.

I realize it is only a summer job... but $40 an hour is 80K... not even 16... but she does have all her certificates...
It's crazy. My 17 year-old niece makes $20 an hour babysitting. She was telling me it's really hard for parents to find reliable girls that don't flake out so they pay her well to keep her happy. Last weekend she got paid $150 to watch two kids at a wedding. If a teenage girl is good with children, she can make bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment