Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 09:17 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I was once told by an HR rep that, "Bigger Companies hate long term Employees and, relishes short term Employees".
When i ask her why, she gave me some formula she learned at some HR Convention.
This Formula Basically gives a chart on the productivity, and benefits paid between a new employee and a long term employee.
Long Term Employee:
More paid in Benefits, More Time off, Productivity is not as high as new employee.
Short Term Employee:
Less In Benefits paid, Less pay, More Productivity as short term worker tries to prove themselves.
I can't remember the formula in full but that's kind of how she explained it
I think the HR convention was run by an ignorant short term employee. Everything I have read and learned suggests the opposite. Common sense also suggests the opposite. Consider how much time and money is spent on training new employees. Plus experienced employees have to take time out of their work training newbies. Sure, the long term employees require benefits, but they are also more likely to remain loyal to the company in anticipation of receiving these benefits, thus not requiring replacement for another new employee who needs interviewing, vetting, training, etc. And the company morale and stability suffers with high turnover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 09:23 AM

55 posts, read 45,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
A fair wage? Where I work, we're constantly trying to fill openings. We're offering well over $100k for new college grads, and it usually takes months to fill a position. It has nothing to do with "unfair wages" or discrimination. There are just too many companies competing for the talent.
I couldn't agree more. I actually came to this forum looking for a place to vent / ask people why it is so hard to fill a job opening these days? It's getting ridiculous.

So I work at a small company (about 7-10 solid staff), the problem is we're looking to expand, but since I've been working here as the office manager (I wear a few hats but I'll get to that), the biggest obstacle in our expansion is the lack of good candidates.

First problem, people apply but have criminal records. Some are still accepted but certain ones we just can't accept. Theft, is a big one we can't hire.
Second problem, people just don't have good resumes. We have been more lenient and overlooked some things we would usually be a bit more strict on but it doesn't really help.

Third problem, I call people - and those that call back, I set up an interview and they no show. About 75-90% of the time.
Sometimes we may get someone in, and we like them, hire them and then no show for their first day of work.

Then of the 1/8th of candidates that actually show up on their first day of work, they either turn out to complain/be lazy and leave within 1-2 weeks.

Then about 1/4 of those 1/8th of candidates we strike gold and add someone solid to the team. This happens about once every 6 months through posting ads and interviewing potential candidates constantly.

Customers love our company and we keep getting more business, but we can barely handle it because we are so short staffed.

My official title is Office Manager, but I also am the Hiring Manager, Payroll Manager among many other things. So it is my job to try to get people through the doors.
This has been one of the most frustrating aspects of my job.

This past week alone (as I sit here and write this, it is 10:20AM. We had an interview scheduled at 10 AM. Of course a no show) - I scheduled 7 interviews. Candidates called me, we agreed on a time, etc.
Only 2 out of the 7 showed up. Fortunately we liked them and offered them positions, but this has been one of the worst weeks I've experienced so far.

Another time I had scheduled about 5 or so and only one showed up. What is up with people not showing up? I get not being interested in the job after the initial scheduling of your interview but why don't people call or e-mail? I do when I decide I'm not going to the interview.

I honestly don't think our company will grow at all until we are able to somehow get more staff. We just don't have enough staff to do the jobs.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:25 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Same here, and recently some of our $100k employees have been poached by companies like Amazon, offering them more. Two in the last 6 months, plus one to Tableau, another to Starbucks headquarters.
Very true here in medical... poaching or an offer too good refuse is the norm for proven talent and often the only option for advancement.

With us it's not so much pay but the others offer lifetime medical with 20 years and over all better benefits and the talent drain continues no matter how many symposiums and motivational events offered...

Old 07-20-2017, 09:31 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
The new management here is dividing jobs into more narrowly defined roles which I found odd..

Going from a regional operation to one of 100,000 employees it was explained having individuals that are multi talented can make it close to impossible to fill should the need arise.

I'm the director of engineering and for years the third person in the chain of command Hospital wide and am also qualified for areas of patient care, bio med, security, regulatory compliance, tenant services and lease administration as well as facilities...

The new owner group simply said they would not be find another so my role is being redefined.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:13 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeUnderground View Post
I couldn't agree more. I actually came to this forum looking for a place to vent / ask people why it is so hard to fill a job opening these days? It's getting ridiculous.

So I work at a small company (about 7-10 solid staff), the problem is we're looking to expand, but since I've been working here as the office manager (I wear a few hats but I'll get to that), the biggest obstacle in our expansion is the lack of good candidates.

First problem, people apply but have criminal records. Some are still accepted but certain ones we just can't accept. Theft, is a big one we can't hire.
Second problem, people just don't have good resumes. We have been more lenient and overlooked some things we would usually be a bit more strict on but it doesn't really help.

Third problem, I call people - and those that call back, I set up an interview and they no show. About 75-90% of the time.
Sometimes we may get someone in, and we like them, hire them and then no show for their first day of work.

Then of the 1/8th of candidates that actually show up on their first day of work, they either turn out to complain/be lazy and leave within 1-2 weeks.

Then about 1/4 of those 1/8th of candidates we strike gold and add someone solid to the team. This happens about once every 6 months through posting ads and interviewing potential candidates constantly.

Customers love our company and we keep getting more business, but we can barely handle it because we are so short staffed.

My official title is Office Manager, but I also am the Hiring Manager, Payroll Manager among many other things. So it is my job to try to get people through the doors.
This has been one of the most frustrating aspects of my job.

This past week alone (as I sit here and write this, it is 10:20AM. We had an interview scheduled at 10 AM. Of course a no show) - I scheduled 7 interviews. Candidates called me, we agreed on a time, etc.
Only 2 out of the 7 showed up. Fortunately we liked them and offered them positions, but this has been one of the worst weeks I've experienced so far.

Another time I had scheduled about 5 or so and only one showed up. What is up with people not showing up? I get not being interested in the job after the initial scheduling of your interview but why don't people call or e-mail? I do when I decide I'm not going to the interview.

I honestly don't think our company will grow at all until we are able to somehow get more staff. We just don't have enough staff to do the jobs.
Where are you located and what do you do?

Old 07-20-2017, 10:33 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Sometimes because of HR it takes forever to fill a position. I had to contact my future boss and the talent acquisition team multiple times in order for them to even officially offer me the position even though my boss had chosen me pretty much right after I interviewed. The official offer came weeks later.

There are also long periods of time between posting jobs, interviewing people, etc. My friend was looking for a job and first she had to talk to someone on the phone. Then she had to take a test. Then they wanted her to come back in for an interview. Then they wanted her to come back in for the final interview. You know how long that all takes when you're already working?

On the other hand, people do not want to pay. I think my field will have a big shortage in the next five years or so. There are going to be a lot of people retiring and the wages are lower than other areas of health care. Many people in my field leave after awhile to pursue other things for the same reason. There is also a lack of growth in the field. My friend was shopping around to "move up" to a supervisory or management position. The first position offered her a salary that was almost what she was making already. That's not really "moving up" so why bother staying in the field?

Old 07-20-2017, 11:46 AM

153 posts, read 197,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Thats the lie today's employers tell themselves. Its humorous. Offer below market wages, throw the work of 3 people onto 1, and they can't understand why they can't fill job openings. Its probably all nonsense anyways. I see more job openings going unfilled because employers just REFUSE to fill them citing "expense concerns". Then don't waste the job seeker's time.

Their idea of "difficulty filling jobs" is not being able to find educated people with a good foundation to learn and a few years of experience for the lowest rate possible

Employers are the ones to blame for jobs being hard to fill, not the people seeking them. A few decades ago, you could apply for a job on Friday and be working by Monday. Now employers have become so picky about who they hire to the point where unfilled positions are hurting their bottom line. So you can't fill your entry-level position by requiring applicants to have a master's degree and 20 years of relevant experience? Shocker...

^ This. Right on.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:54 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
It''s possible to earn a bachelor's degree without even taking basic algebra in many cases.
Eh, this sounds like hogwash. Maybe some no-name online for-profit "university" perhaps.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:18 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Thats the lie today's employers tell themselves. Its humorous. Offer below market wages, throw the work of 3 people onto 1, and they can't understand why they can't fill job openings. Its probably all nonsense anyways. I see more job openings going unfilled because employers just REFUSE to fill them citing "expense concerns". Then don't waste the job seeker's time.

Their idea of "difficulty filling jobs" is not being able to find educated people with a good foundation to learn and a few years of experience for the lowest rate possible

Employers are the ones to blame for jobs being hard to fill, not the people seeking them. A few decades ago, you could apply for a job on Friday and be working by Monday. Now employers have become so picky about who they hire to the point where unfilled positions are hurting their bottom line. So you can't fill your entry-level position by requiring applicants to have a master's degree and 20 years of relevant experience? Shocker...

It's not always that simple. We have two jobs open right now at my work that NOBODY qualified has applied for. The amount of work you're asked to do is strictly controlled and the pay & benefits package are very, very good for our field. For the first opening, 2 decent-looking candidates applied but after they interviewed them, they decided not to hire either one. For the second opening, nobody with any meaningful qualifications applied.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:31 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,009,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
Where do you work if you don't mind me asking?
Lol, I wondered the same thing after reading his/her first post. I will say though, Who doesn't want to work for Starbucks or Tableau... I use tableau monthly to build reports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment