Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 02:10 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times

Advertisements

Is your city or town the kind of place where people get jobs based on who they know?

I come from a small town of 11,000 people and it was like that there,anyways im in Albuquerque,New Mexico(pop.500,000) now and its pretty much the same way.I noticed that many people here get jobs with help from their friends,relatives,or neighbors.This is one of the reasons I find it hard to get a job here,I dont know hardly anyone,also most employeers want a certain amount of experience in a job,but how are you suppose to get this experience if on one gives you a chance,is there a school that shows you how to install a windshield or manufacture a garage door or are suppose to already know this, anyways it seems like there are so many people all applying for 1 job so that makes it even harder.There must be alot of people job searching lately.Have any of you been in situations like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 07:32 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
I am in the same boat, I do not know people who can help me get jobs. I don't have a rich uncle who owns a company.

I understand exactly what you are saying.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:30 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
If you move to a small town, the BEST thing for you to do is to network, network, network. Get involved in the local scene- church, PTA, community groups and you will soon find that you know most people in town and most of them will help you.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:14 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Or go to your local bars and dance clubs (The Ritzy ones) and mingle!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 01:16 PM

33 posts, read 144,330 times
Unfortunately, hiring managers do have their choice right now. And they can demand the EXACT skills from their prospects.

It seems that long gone are the days where they would say "hey, this person would be a good fit, look at the variety of experience, they will catch on". Now their answer is "you don't know blah,blah,blah? go get trained in it"

It's not only having the skills to get in, but I see problems of trying to learn skills once you get hired. So many good people can do lots more - but again, that takes knowing internal people. So yes, pretty much HIRING and ADVANCEMENT are based a lot on who you know.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:27 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,001 times
yes, it is about who you know...we have recently been victim to that. Still we hold our heads high and march on...

Old 03-13-2008, 09:29 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,108 times
Finding a job, not impossible, but always better when you know the key players. I landed my new job several months ago because of someone in upper management, who made an out of state call, which placed me at my new job. Keep the network going by keeping in touch with key players via email and occasional calls.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:58 PM

840 posts, read 3,466,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
If you move to a small town, the BEST thing for you to do is to network, network, network. Get involved in the local scene- church, PTA, community groups and you will soon find that you know most people in town and most of them will help you.
In Pictures: Tips For A Small-Town Job Search - Forbes.com

Old 01-19-2009, 05:51 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOdeeDOO View Post
Unfortunately, hiring managers do have their choice right now. And they can demand the EXACT skills from their prospects.

It seems that long gone are the days where they would say "hey, this person would be a good fit, look at the variety of experience, they will catch on". Now their answer is "you don't know blah,blah,blah? go get trained in it"

It's not only having the skills to get in, but I see problems of trying to learn skills once you get hired. So many good people can do lots more - but again, that takes knowing internal people. So yes, pretty much HIRING and ADVANCEMENT are based a lot on who you know.

u know whats o funny about this is that man jobs want you to have experience but they turn around and train you there way because not all jobs with the same type of position/s operate the same go figure

Old 01-19-2009, 06:12 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
In NYC metro the only way to get a good paying job is the know someone who can get it for you

even construction is like that here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment