Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 01:48 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,251 times

Advertisements

This discussion seems to be going off track. We should get it back on track before an overzealous mod locks it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 01:53 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
This discussion seems to be going off track. We should get it back on track before an overzealous mod locks it.
We are at 37 pages what else is there to say that is on topic?

Old 08-09-2017, 02:11 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If you don't think she looks down on regular working class conservative people, I have an ocean to sell you in Kansas.
I disagree, but regardless, if the choice is someone who is giving me access to health care versus someone who wants to take it away, the choice is easy. I'm not going to respond further here because we are hijacking and this is not Politics.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:17 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I disagree, but regardless, if the choice is someone who is giving me access to health care versus someone who wants to take it away, the choice is easy. I'm not going to respond further here because we are hijacking and this is not Politics.
Hillary is just another crooked Illinois Democrat/lawyer and an elitist snob. "Maybe you should stay home and bake cookies".

Illinois Democrats have a way of helping themselves and bleeping over everyone they say they are going to help ie that healthcare bill laughingly called the Affordable Healthcare Act caused millions of middle-class people to loose their healthcare or pay soaring premiums. The American people had enough of getting bleeped by the Dems and voted for Trump despite his personal flaws and verbal gaffs.

This thread train is already off the tracks might as well plow full steam over the cliff.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:10 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Hillary is just another crooked Illinois Democrat/lawyer and an elitist snob. "Maybe you should stay home and bake cookies".

Illinois Democrats have a way of helping themselves and bleeping over everyone they say they are going to help ie that healthcare bill laughingly called the Affordable Healthcare Act caused millions of middle-class people to loose their healthcare or pay soaring premiums. The American people had enough of getting bleeped by the Dems and voted for Trump despite his personal flaws and verbal gaffs.

This thread train is already off the tracks might as well plow full steam over the cliff.
If you want to talk politics, go to that sub-forum.

MODS...please do you jobs and ban/remove people who are spamming this subforum

Old 08-14-2017, 08:28 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,150,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
I do work for a manufacturing company in Los Angeles.
They have a laundry list half a page long of qualifications for new machinist hires. They are constantly in the news complaining about not being able to get workers and want to import labor from India. They pay $15/hr. $2 above the local minimum wage.

Do the workers from India meet the long list of qualifications? somethings, if they demand more qualifications from Americans than foreigners.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
and now the shoe is on the other foot..with low unemployment, employees are thumbing their noses at the cheapskate employers who perpetrated the lie for years that they were paying employees what they were worth when what they were actually doing was taking advantage of an employers market for labor and paying people as little as they possibly could. Such delicious schadenfreude...
The place I worked had another version of this. I overheard our unit supervisor telling her assistant that she had only been budgeted about $2,500 for annual raises, FOR 9 EMPLOYEES. All of us making about 13-14K a year, in early 90's. 1 person alone could get a decent raise, 2 could get less than 100 a month. Rest get nothing, or divide 2,500 between 9 people and everyone gets 277.00 a year. Some choices, when everyone is working hard to keep the company going through all the management inflicted storms. I and several others came in an hour early every day and stayed an hour late, on our own time, to get some of our work out the door before the phones started ringing.

During my last year or 2, they started downsizing out long term people who had worked nights and weekends for years, again to get them through their own foolishness.

I got a small bit of satisfaction when I heard that one of the worst buttheads in management got downsized himself.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The only thing a "skills gap" means is that there are people unwilling to take those jobs at their present wage/working conditions.

Remember years back when the US was complaining about a shortage of pharmacists? That's an incredibly difficult degree...and in some states, like Texas, you now have to get a doctorate (Pharm.D.) in order to be a pharmacist. Students across the US rose to the challenge and we how have a glut of pharmacists.

The media still claims there's a nursing shortage but I hear differently from "baby nurses" on the ground looking for work after getting their ASN/BSN. Lots of crappy temp work and the worst shifts always. Regardless, there are still waiting lists in nursing programs across the country. That's not a bird course either...it's heavy on science and crosses multiple disciplines.

Long story short...if the wages are right, you'll get qualified applicants. If the field requires further education, people will go get it to get a good job.

Common sense is all too lacking in many companies. Speaking of equipment, my company was using some of the worst office equipment you could imagine. Computer systems we had were outdated at best. We were still using typewriters into the early 90's. Only a few were even recent models. I used an IBM Executive for about a year, that was a great typewriter in the 1960's but totally worn out when I got it. Best one I had was an old Selectric 1 that didn't even have correction. It mistyped characters if I typed too fast. We had microfiche machines that gave poor images and even poorer prints, usually illegible. We got computer assisted retrieval system (CARS) that was worse than using manila files. They bought the cheapest machines and cheapest film they could get, and viewers were always breaking down or film jamming. The tech who came twice a week to work on it said it was the poorest quality he had seen. We had to go through an act of Congress to order a tape dispenser or stapler but I saw an executive's office getting new carpet less than 6 months before we were moving to a new building. He couldn't manage with his carpet until then? I also found out later that one of the executives used his travel budget to charter planes for short trips which were more practical to drive. He had a company car. A good example was that he chartered a plane to fly from Raleigh-Durham Airport (NC) to Rocky Mount, NC. Then he had to rent a car in Rocky Mount. How foolish was that? Rocky Mount was about a 2 hour drive at most.

We did have some good managers but they fought an uphill battle. The company had too many conflicting goals and made too many bad decisions. They were eventually bought again and merged with one of their worst enemies, a company they had sued several times. How funny that was too. Sad thing, though, is that it could have been a great place to work. I really enjoyed the few short periods of time when we could concentrate on productive work instead of constant damage control.

Last edited by jmellc; 08-14-2017 at 10:25 PM..

Old 08-16-2017, 06:03 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times
Here in my place I live been told by businesses they have a big problem finding workers that a can past the drug test. Alot of people here use Meth mainly.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:11 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Here in my place I live been told by businesses they have a big problem finding workers that a can past the drug test. Alot of people here use Meth mainly.

I guess a pretty large percentage of people in that area mess around with meth. Any idea what percentage of men that do who aren't of retirement age?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment