Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2017, 01:10 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
Yes we can raise rents for properties covered by rent control (in SF). Every year the rent board comes out with a percentage that we can use to raise rents that are occupied and covered by rent control (and of course can raise rents however we want when a unit is vacant). http://sfrb.org/sites/default/files/...es%2017-18.pdf
Yes, but those increases are barely anything - especially compared to San Jose (where it's 8-10%) or cities without rent control. And unless things have changed since I left in 2011, you can't raise it at all (or extremely tiny amounts) on pre-1950 buildings. My last apartment was built in 1941, and they could only add a few dollars annually to cover increased taxes. I was paying $1660/mo for a TWO-bedroom, and that same unit is now renting for almost $4000! But if I hadn't left, I'd still be paying under $2000 now 6 years later. Argh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Do you think that you, as the renter, are not paying ALL of those costs? I've got some bad news for you. The rent I quote to my renters includes:

-The cost of the mortgage
-The property taxes
-The estimated annual maintenance cost of the house itself
-The homeowner's insurance
-And I throw a little bit on top of that just to cover incidentals

It's ALL baked into the rent. And I don't even have to do things like mow the lawn - I can even push off some of the work like landscaping on to you. My property taxes go up? Your rent goes up. If I'm not using a fixed rate mortgage and the rate goes up? Your rent goes up. There are multiple claims against the homeownership insurance policy and the premium goes up? Your rent goes up. Your best case scenario that a rent-increasing event is triggered 1 month into a 12 month lease and you don't feel the rent increase for almost a year, but the back-cost will be baked into the next increase.
Again, this is why rent control exists! Not sure what the rules are in your neck of the woods, but we have at least SOME rent control in almost every city here... so even if your costs (as an owner) go up 20% in one year, you're only allowed to add 1-8% to existing tenants when their lease expires. You also can't just kick them out, as you're required to offer another lease unless they have violations. So at least until you get a NEW tenant, you might have to eat some of those rising costs yourself.

This goes with what I was saying earlier, about how renters know what to expect monthly/annually. That isn't true if you're looking for a new place, but once I'm in, I know basically what I'll be paying for the duration of my stay.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:25 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Oakland, San Francisco and Berkeley were early adopters of rent control and continue to expand with things like Just Cause Eviction...

There are also many thousands of families with Housing Vouchers so the portion they pay is always a percentage of their income...

There are families living in $2500-$3000 market rent homes and their portion is $50 with a Housing Voucher.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph101 View Post
Excellent point. There is some issue with people looking down on others for what they think they are above. For instance the post about garbage workers in NYC. The poster wrote " why go to college if you can make that six figure as a trashman? " Well whats stopping them? Their sense of self importance is what. They would never last a week doing that smelly, sweaty, hard labor dealing with disgusting trash. But they think they are better and think they should be treated in a superior manner even if they will never achieve the productivity or success in their own field compared to the sanitation worker who is picking up their nasty trash as 4AM when its 15 F at 4AM.
Exactly. When people whine about "those overpaid under-educated *insert job title*s," I have to wonder why they don't go for that job themselves? Think cops or McDonald's workers make too much? Then apply for the jobs!

Also, some people seem to think public servants are just that - SERVANTS - and should "take one for the team" by not earning what they deserve. Just because taxes support (a small portion of) our salaries, that doesn't change the fact that WE pay taxes too; along with all the other costs private-sector workers pay, like housing and schooling. And while we're getting better benefits, possibly, we also don't get things like annual bonuses or merit/performance raises. So it kinda all evens out in the end.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:42 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
When people whine about "those overpaid under-educated *insert job title*s," I have to wonder why they don't go for that job themselves? Think cops or McDonald's workers make too much? Then apply for the jobs!
While I won’t venture with defending persons who are openly contemptuous of others, there is SOME rationale behind their contempt. And that is, there is a pecking-order of class-structure; a cultural pecking order. Those who work with their minds, are above those who work with their hands. For the latter to enjoy more remuneration than the former, might be a reality of the free-market. But it distorts the cultural rubric. The point is not, for an enterprising person to behold such a distortion and to exploit it for personal gain; but rather, to clamor for such a distortion to be closed. An alternative, less vitriolic approach, is to celebrate the possible replacement of highly-paid manual jobs by automation. If we had robotic garbage-men, then surely human garbage-men would sustain a reduction in their pay, thus quieting their detractors.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
While I won’t venture with defending persons who are openly contemptuous of others, there is SOME rationale behind their contempt. And that is, there is a pecking-order of class-structure; a cultural pecking order. Those who work with their minds, are above those who work with their hands. For the latter to enjoy more remuneration than the former, might be a reality of the free-market. But it distorts the cultural rubric. The point is not, for an enterprising person to behold such a distortion and to exploit it for personal gain; but rather, to clamor for such a distortion to be closed. An alternative, less vitriolic approach, is to celebrate the possible replacement of highly-paid manual jobs by automation. If we had robotic garbage-men, then surely human garbage-men would sustain a reduction in their pay, thus quieting their detractors.
Sure, there's a "pecking order" - and I agree a garbage collector shouldn't be out-earning doctors, professors, etc. But like you said, it's more about being openly "contemptuous" of others, and also UNDER-valuing certain jobs. Cops and firefighters put their lives on the line daily, and should be compensated for that; window washers at Sears Tower, likewise, should be compensated for the danger and scary-factor of their job; and so forth.

Besides, people who complain about other people's salaries are usually just unhappy with their personal situation. I complain about my OWN salary, in comparison to our educational requirements and local COL, but rarely even notice what people earn in other professions... how does it affect or help me to worry about them, unless I'm considering a career move? Which I'm not, btw.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Exactly. When people whine about "those overpaid under-educated *insert job title*s," I have to wonder why they don't go for that job themselves? Think cops or McDonald's workers make too much? Then apply for the jobs!

Also, some people seem to think public servants are just that - SERVANTS - and should "take one for the team" by not earning what they deserve. Just because taxes support (a small portion of) our salaries, that doesn't change the fact that WE pay taxes too; along with all the other costs private-sector workers pay, like housing and schooling. And while we're getting better benefits, possibly, we also don't get things like annual bonuses or merit/performance raises. So it kinda all evens out in the end.
I've never had a job with a pension... well one that wasn't cancelled through a merger or sale. No one in my family has ever had a pension...

In my city, it seems we are always bouncing from fiscal crisis to the next...

Many of my friends are Public Safety... and many have commented they just got lucky...

My Uncle died in the line of duty back in the 60's... it was nothing like it is today... not even imaginable.

No funeral where agencies from around the State send representatives... no free University Education for the kids left behind, no family support services...

Fast forward to today my friends are retiring at 52 with 180k life time pensions and medical.... it really does get attention and the SF Bay Area is kind of at the epicenter for the West Coast...

Also... the departments paid 100% into the retirement fund and none of the officers I know live in the cities they serve...

I guess it is all a matter of prospective and since the tax measures and fees are always before the voters it makes for conversation topics.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Fast forward to today my friends are retiring at 52 with 180k life time pensions and medical.... it really does get attention and the SF Bay Area is kind of at the epicenter for the West Coast...

Also... the departments paid 100% into the retirement fund and none of the officers I know live in the cities they serve...

I guess it is all a matter of prospective and since the tax measures and fees are always before the voters it makes for conversation topics.
Those are the extreme examples, though, and some folks forget that "public servant" goes well beyond cops and firefighters. I'm a librarian, which is a public service job, and won't get anywhere near 180K in pension... we also contribute to our own retirement (CalPers), with matching contribution from the county. I'm not complaining, mind you, but not all government workers are paid/retired that well.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:11 PM

I think the outliers get all the publicity... like the nurses working at correctional facilities or the planner working at the city with tons of overtime taking home 400k... mostly paid for by expedite fees.

We have one librarian in the family... it took years before she was permanent and she had her masters with all the prerequisites... and the first 5 years she had to travel all through Contra Costa...

She did really love her job and brought several innovative things to the job... her story time was written up all around the country... as well as things to make libraries kid friendly...

One would think all was good... but they needed to relocate down to Moro Bay and that meant starting over... it was a hard decision but she did land her dream position... at an all new facility and was part of the set up team.... for 6 months she was at the new job and only in the Bay Area on weekends...

I'm so happy it worked out for them but she has the talent and was willing to take the risk.

All of my other library science friends went corp except for one... the corporate work for law firms and the exception left for a position at UC Berkeley and still cannot believe her good fortune... said working for the UC system is a dream compared to law firms in the private sector... the money is better, the hours better and benefits way better.... she was 35 when she made the switch and is now 45

Old 08-11-2017, 02:17 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,635 times
Quote:
Sure, there's a "pecking order" - and I agree a garbage collector shouldn't be out-earning doctors, professors, etc. But like you said, it's more about being openly "contemptuous" of others, and also UNDER-valuing certain jobs. Cops and firefighters put their lives on the line daily, and should be compensated for that; window washers at Sears Tower, likewise, should be compensated for the danger and scary-factor of their job; and so forth.

Besides, people who complain about other people's salaries are usually just unhappy with their personal situation. I complain about my OWN salary, in comparison to our educational requirements and local COL, but rarely even notice what people earn in other professions... how does it affect or help me to worry about them, unless I'm considering a career move? Which I'm not, btw.
The risk factor is already baked into a solidly middle class pay, given the relative ease of the job aside from the risk factor of having to deal with criminal elements. If you walked up to just about any reasonable person and said "hey, do you think a firefighter or police officer is worth $95,000 per year (which, for the record, is about double the median salary for the country)?", you'd likely not find too many people that would grouse about that. Those who would are likely ignorant activist types, criminals themselves, or someone with a grudge. Double median for hazardous work is a fair number. Most people would be on board with this, and consider it a good line of work for those with lower cognitive abilities to go into for a nice, secure middle class lifestyle.

The issue becomes when you walk up to people and say "hey, do you think that same job is worth $150,000? $200,000? $250,000?" You're talking about increases of over 200%, 300%, and 400% over median, respectively. Throw in how many of them will "fill in" for their chief for one day towards retirement, "accidentally" get their foot run over with a car and then go on pension for 80% of their salary for that 1 day they were "chief", only to go back and go back into the sector with another department, and you have one of the most ludicrously overpaid and wealthy scams in America. Sorry, that's simply not a fair wage. For as dangerous as being a cop or firefighter can be, it's still nowhere near as dangerous as being a logger or a deep sea fisherman or even roofers or garbagemen (look it up, being a trash collector is more dangerous than being a cop). As a matter of fact, a first responder isn't even amongst the 10 most dangerous jobs in America. They barely crack the top 15. And you know what? Those people with more dangerous jobs aren't pulling down that kind of money. Why? Because they don't have the benefit of union thuggery and political corruption at a municipal level in order to extort the taxpaying public for wages they don't deserve.

It's no wonder they get away with it - this thread is a shining example. There's so much ignorance as to the amount of corruption that goes into overpaying for these roles and passive belly exposing to the whole situation (my guess is largely by people who don't contribute a whole lot to the tax base in the first place, so have little skin in the game) that they're allowed to extort unreasonable wages with hardly a peep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment