Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 07:36 AM

18,134 posts, read 25,311,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I am curious. Why do you continue to talk to her, when she belittles you, and you say she knows nothing about your job? It sounds like there's no need for her input at all.

Does she work for you?
I should have clarified this from the beginning
I design equipment with several other guys, and once it's designed, she takes over and gets it "certified"
She's known for crossing the line and try to tell us (nit-picking) how to do our job .... but it always goes down to .... she want us to make her job easier, even if it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Not my boss, co-worker
but at times, comes across as if she swears that she's above us (design team)
when she wants something done she says "The boss said .... " and I started telling her "Well, tell him to come and tell me"

Old 08-09-2017, 07:36 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,257,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
How do you deal with a disrespectful female coworker?

I have a coworker that I find very disrespectful
It took me a long time to notice it, because she's a woman
My male coworkers are always very respectful
That's when I began to see how disrespectful she is

To put it in few words, she always talks to me as if I was her son
Always belittle any issue I have and try to tell me how to do my job ... even though she knows nothing about it
everybody complains about work, she complains about work just like anybody else
When I complain about my work, she always says "We are all going through the same thing"
Anytime I tell her an issue with my work, she tells me "You need to ... and make sure that you ...." even though I know it's not my fault, but somebody else
Anytime I tell her how to do something, she says "Anyways" and moves on to say how she wants things to be done
Sometimes talking to me, taps the desk with her nails as saying "I want things done this way"
Other times she is going to show me a piece of paper and snaps it before showing me something

Based on her ....
All my issues at work are my fault
All her issues at work, are other people's fault

Keep in mind,
My male coworkers are the complete opposite
To the point that i feel they call me "Sir" way too much

If she was a man, I would have told her to go and f.... herself a long time ago
Obviously, I can't say that ... and I bet she knows that and takes advantage of it

Why are you doing all these things with a disrespectful co worker?

And just no with the "go to HR." for every little thing! They aren't babysitters or your mom. Ugh.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:37 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,962,876 times
Quote:
Sounds like the best way to deal with it
I'll wait for something else to happen

The way I was dealing with it, was not to talk to her at all
But sometimes I have to talk to her because of work
Unless you are equal or senior to her, don't talk to HR. I worked in HR for a large institution a couple of years ago and they were very proud of the fact that all disputes had been settled in favor of the senior party.

Professional ethics typically requires that you first discuss the issue with the party with whom you have a dispute. Although it will be difficult, invite her to meet - perhaps over coffee - and let her know that although you value her mentoring approach, you sometimes feel a bit smothered and ill informed after your meetings. Try to bring a lightness to what it is that doesn't sit well with you, be constructive, take the same parenting tone with her that she takes with you. Make suggestions about how to improve communication. For example, if she is commenting on a document but does not provide a copy to you, it's difficult to follow up and make changes. Request copies of documents where she has feedback that requires you to act.

Document your discussion. If nothing changes, take it one level up. Be clear that although you value the mentoring, it has the feel of parenting and that this makes you uncomfortable. It's possible that she means well, may even have a son close to your age, ad has blurred the boundaries.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:41 AM

29,753 posts, read 34,428,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post

Professional ethics typically requires that you first discuss the issue with the party with whom you have a dispute. Although it will be difficult, invite her to meet - perhaps over coffee - and let her know that although you value her mentoring approach, you sometimes feel a bit smothered and ill informed after your meetings. Try to bring a lightness to what it is that doesn't sit well with you, be constructive, take the same parenting tone with her that she takes with you. Make suggestions about how to improve communication. For example, if she is commenting on a document but does not provide a copy to you, it's difficult to follow up and make changes. Request copies of documents where she has feedback that requires you to act.

Document your discussion. If nothing changes, take it one level up. Be clear that although you value the mentoring, it has the feel of parenting and that this makes you uncomfortable. It's possible that she means well, may even have a son close to your age, ad has blurred the boundaries.
Yes, to all of this. In a professional work environment, you never tell anyone to "go [bleep]" and expect everything to blow over. If she is a peer, talk with her calmly about your expectations of the job and how you can best work together. I know we're not supposed to link to other sites, but the Ask A Manager blog is a great resource on what to say.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-09-2017 at 08:04 AM..

Old 08-09-2017, 07:46 AM

61,812 posts, read 87,269,132 times
Quote:
I should have clarified this from the beginning
I design equipment with several other guys, and once it's designed, she takes over and gets it "certified"
Perhaps she NEEDS details to be modified before they get certified. Or she can't get them certified because they lack some details?
So that's why she is telling you things has to be done certain way?
Bring your concerns to your boss, or her boss if she has a different one.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:51 AM

Another reason I brought this up
I was wondering if other people ran into a similar situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Perhaps she NEEDS details to be modified before they get certified. Or she can't get them certified because they lack some details?
1/2 of the time is reasonable
1/2 of the time is BS she wants done, just to make things easier for her

Old 08-09-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The problem with taking the concern to her manager/boss without discussing it first with her is that when her boss discusses it with her, she will honestly declare that it is the first she has heard of it. That immediately gets her off the hook, and puts the OP in a bad light of having gone behind her back to whine rather than to tackle the problem head on.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Another reason I brought this up
I was wondering if other people ran into a similar situation

1/2 of the time is reasonable
1/2 of the time is BS she wants done, just to make things easier for her
If you work under her and she wants things done a certain way to make things easier for her, then it is your responsibility to do that.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
If you work under her and she wants things done a certain way to make things easier for her, then it is your responsibility to do that.
I don't work under her
She takes our finished job and does her work

It's understandable that she would have input
but she shouldn't drive the design with BS requests just to make her job easier

Old 08-09-2017, 08:06 AM

29,753 posts, read 34,428,618 times
Quote:
but she shouldn't drive the design with BS requests just to make her job easier
If she needs certain design requirements to make the project go more efficiently, then they're probably not BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment