Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 11:39 AM

1,166 posts, read 877,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
My last job was hourly and my day was over at 6 so I had to clock out.. Nobody was allowed overtime unless the District Manager pre approved it. Which meant sometime the salary employee (store manager) had to take the hit and work the extra hours. I'm still paid hourly but if I need an extra hour for something, I'm expected to do it. If it was consistent, they might wonder what I was doing.
A lot of places are strict on OT pay. They aren't going to keep hourly employees who milk the clock.

Well which do you find worse? Being EXPECTED to work overtime with no extra pay or being shoved out the door the minute you hit 40 hours? To me the latter is much more preferable. Lots of other things I could be doing with that extra time.

Worked at a dealer that every winter (Usually January thru April or so) they would cut the hours of the hourly employees to eliminate overtime and cut costs, because in a dealership winter is the slow time for service. Seems like with hourly they want to watch you like a hawk and make sure you don't get any overtime, and with salary they want to work you 60+ hours a week and keep your salary the same. And with flat rate they want to keep you there all day with no work and no pay because "it might get busy". All a way to put more money in their pockets and pay the employees the bare minimum that they can, which is nothing new in the world of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 11:40 AM

50,798 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
My last job was hourly and my day was over at 6 so I had to clock out.. Nobody was allowed overtime unless the District Manager pre approved it. Which meant sometime the salary employee (store manager) had to take the hit and work the extra hours. I'm still paid hourly but if I need an extra hour for something, I'm expected to do it. If it was consistent, they might wonder what I was doing.
A lot of places are strict on OT pay. They aren't going to keep hourly employees who milk the clock.
We punch out too, but often have to stay and finish documentation after that off the clock. Not due to overtime in our case (I rarely get to 40 hours) but productivity requirements.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:15 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
Well which do you find worse? Being EXPECTED to work overtime with no extra pay or being shoved out the door the minute you hit 40 hours? To me the latter is much more preferable. Lots of other things I could be doing with that extra time.

Worked at a dealer that every winter (Usually January thru April or so) they would cut the hours of the hourly employees to eliminate overtime and cut costs, because in a dealership winter is the slow time for service. Seems like with hourly they want to watch you like a hawk and make sure you don't get any overtime, and with salary they want to work you 60+ hours a week and keep your salary the same. And with flat rate they want to keep you there all day with no work and no pay because "it might get busy". All a way to put more money in their pockets and pay the employees the bare minimum that they can, which is nothing new in the world of business.

Good point, I think it just depends where you work.Our store managers get 100k+ bonuses on top of their salary, that's why they take the job and why they are expected to pick up the cuts. The AM (who is hourly) can also work OT without getting permission unless business is really bad. Honestly, it rarely happened though. It was typically one week here and there due to an emergency situation with other employees. We have a lot of seasonal employees we can get to work in emergency situations if full timers are close to OT. The only time our store manager would consistently work 60+ hours a week was around the holidays. During this time hourly employees were also expected and scheduled to work OT, so we were all there 50-60 hours. Sure, you can say no, but you can also be let go. Store managers have a set, mandatory schedule of 50 hrs. Most schedule the 50 and only work 40. Sometimes DM's would "punish" stores, cutting hours to force management to work more. They still didn't though, we just ran short staffed.

I don't mind being hourly. I clock out, I go home, I am done for the day! However, I also don't a huge yearly bonus and incentives every month.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:32 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
We punch out too, but often have to stay and finish documentation after that off the clock. Not due to overtime in our case (I rarely get to 40 hours) but productivity requirements.
Are you documenting this? Do you have anything in writing from your superiors directing or tacitly endorsing this?

If you do, you have a great case here. You can get paid all the OT that they owe you. Consult a lawyer. This situation is very illegal.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:10 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Several companies that I worked for had a per job bill model. For example, with the locksmith shop, we charged a set price per job. Back then the price to rekey a door lock was $8 a key hole in the shop. We also charged a $35 service charge to come out to the location. (Same shop charges $95 to come out and $15 to rekey each key hole.)

If it took us 5 minutes or 5 hours we were going to make the same money.

We were paid on an hourly basis during the day time. After hours and weekends we were paid 50% of the labor.

Thoughts on this are that we as employees needed to bring in on minimum 3X what we were paid for the business to be profitable. Remember if you don't have profits you have no reason to be in business.

I am sour on working per hour any more. My business plan for my own business is building an asset base and making money from the assets. I would prefer to have assets that pay me.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:19 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I'd rather have something take all day and be done right than take half a day and be done half-assed.
Me too.

There is an old saying:

"If you want quality oats, expect to pay a fair price. If you want to pay less for the oats, you can get them pre-processed by a horse."

Old 08-11-2017, 03:26 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
If it was up to me, I'd eliminate hourly and salary positions, and have everyone on pay for performance model. If someone thinks they're worth certain amount of money, surely they'd have no problem proving that? Alas, I'm not the entire market, and market determines how a certain group of people is compensated.

Hourly employees enjoy many benefits that salary people don't. From an employee standpoint, I'd say that would be preferred method of getting paid, and I'm not sure where you think this stigma exists?
That's subjective and unfair. If your supervisor favors your co-worker (Hey, she's a babe! Who wouldn't favor her, he thinks to himself.), then maybe your "performance" was a little lower than hers (whatever "performance" is).

If you work at McDonald's, how is performance measured? How many burgers you flip? So if it's a slow day, the workers get paid next to nothing for showing up and being ready to serve, and washing the floors and wiping hte tables, and doing other grunt work? Who is going to spend all the time to create charts to log "performance" for all the employees?

Should we pay Congress only by the number of bills they get passed? So that way they'll just pass all kinds of crappy bills so they get more money? How about paying Trump for each bill he travels the ccountry for, giving supportive speeches? For each Executive Order he signs? Can we even guess how many EOs he'd sign, if every one meant money in his pocket?

No...paying by the hour for working class workers is the only way to do it. It's impossible to gauge performance at that level. Paying others salaries (or by the hour) is the only way to do that. That gives you the luxury of not giving them a raise, even when they deserve it, as so often happens.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:20 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
what's really sad are two functioning, living human beings who are so rapt with their "careers"/jobs that they fail at everything normal people do. Ok, nearly everything. they can still wipe and bathe themselves. something has gone terribly wrong. as a dog owner, why have an animal if you have little to no time to train it or interact with it? sure, you can hire out a lot of the pet's care, but when it gets down to it, to have a well adjusted pet, you need to be the one to do the training and much of the interaction.

I'd remain unemployed than take a job like that.
In any large city, people make a living as dog walkers, walking higher income peoples dogs and basically taking care of the dog.

What so many on this thread do not realize, that higher income people hire others to do every day jobs at their homes, so they have the time to work at high income per hour positions.

We hired our first housekeepers back in 70s, when we would rather put out time in working (running a successful investment real estate business). Why should we take time away from the business to do humdrum things around our house, when time spent working earned us over 10 times what it cost to have someone else do it and some days a lot more than that. Today is is just my wife and I in our later 80s, and we still keep a part time housekeeper, that comes in 3 days a week to keep our house up (large 3,700 sq. ft.) Another person uses our tractor and equipment to keep up the outside and any repairs needed. We are getting old enough to do the all the work on this big house and 5 acres located across a county road from the best part of town. So as we have done for 40 years, we hire the help as needed.

I had a single optometrist investor who had his mother as his office manager. She had all these things she wanted him to take time away from his business to do at her home. He asked me what should he do. I told him for $10 an hour he could hire and pay for it to be done by one of my handymen. He asked him to meet at his mothers house. For the first 3 months, hers was the only place he worked. The optometrist could work at his office and in a couple of hours, make a full weeks wages for this man. If he went and did it, he was out all that income. When the things got done she wanted, he still spent a week a month working for her. Another investment client had a lot of rental houses, and he and his wife were spending time keeping them up. About that time that handyman was caught up, and he went to work for this second investor. He ended up with only 3 clients and worked steady just for them.

High income people, hire people to do the every day things for them. They don't have the time to do these ourselves. And $25 an hour, for the people that make their living helping people live the lives they want, is more than most of them are paid. These helpers are not college graduates, and people with the ability and education to take on higher paid jobs. Remember minimum wage around the country is $7.50 an hour except where states or cities have set higher rates.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:33 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Worked in an environment that was cyclic really busy or really slow. We were hourly waged workers with extra compensation for overtime. Management always staffed for when it was slow with the understanding that workers would be expected to pull extra hours when it was busy. They wouldn't hire you unless you can agree to working extra hours during certain times of the year.

For the employees, the reward was overtime pay. Everyone was eager to work overtime.... and we worked hard during those times knowing it would soon slow down. Employees were competing for those extra hours.

For the company/managers, the cost of overtime pay for existing staff was far easier to manage and far cheaper than staffing extra head count that would be idle when times were slow.

Win - win.

When we merged with another company and went from hourly to salaried with no overtime pay, it became a lose-lose situation. People only worked what was required. People quit because they could no longer plan on the extra pay from overtime. Managers were forced to staff extra headcount to cover the busy time periods.. subsequently be overstaffed when it was not. Productivity and morale went down the tubes.... managers couldn't convinced upper management that the prior system was more effective.

As far as I am concerned, there is an appropriate situation for both systems of pay. Overworked, Lazy, or Underutilized staff is a problem with management.. not necessarily the employees.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:03 PM

50,798 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Are you documenting this? Do you have anything in writing from your superiors directing or tacitly endorsing this?

If you do, you have a great case here. You can get paid all the OT that they owe you. Consult a lawyer. This situation is very illegal.
It's actually pretty standard in health care, at least for therapy. I've been doing this for almost 20 years and it's industry-wide. I get a good rate, I'm not gonna complain.Also I believe overtime goes by the week, anything past 40 hours, while I rarely work 40 hours for any one company in a week. The issue in therapy is, 90% of our time in the building must be billable, so in an 8-hour day I can have 48 minutes to do anything and everything that doesn't involve direct patient contact. If I'm there too long and starting to go over that too much, I clock out. If I didn't, if I stayed on the clock, I would get paid, but I would get a warning from corporate, and if it kept happening, they'd simply stop calling me for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment