Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 08:29 AM

191 posts, read 267,739 times

Advertisements

I am not a kid Mr Geek. Did all my child care certifications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 08:36 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni855 View Post
I am not a kid Mr Geek. Did all my child care certifications.
I never said you were a kid. I'm just making a point you could be using all the free time to learn something new rather than worrying about being fired for having no work.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:11 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
I'm not trying to be mean but if you're anxiety prone, child care might not be the career for you. Jobs are much less stable, kids grow up, parents lose jobs, family moves closer (free care), daycares shut down, etc. you're never going to be secure in employment opportunities or moving up the ladder like other careers.
If you like kids, become a regular teacher, more stable.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:08 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni855 View Post
I know this sounds crazy but I would put money on the fact they don't know......yet.
They don't process the payments themselves (Front of house staff do) and the drop off facility does not seem to be a big deal in their minds. Only way they could know is if they ask me directly or if one of the front of house staff mention it to them. My department now is not as heavily monitored as it was like other areas in the gym. That said, they would not keep it on if they knew the lack of people using it right now......
And I would bet money you are wrong. They would not be in business if they were not looking at the books and aware of all revenue sources and how much money was coming in compared against expenses.

You really think that just because they have staff processing payments means they don't actually look at the numbers??

Old 08-16-2017, 11:42 AM

To be honest, I think some of you are not understanding it from my perspective. Of course it is worrying when you haven't had children in for a long time. I think most people would feel anxious about that, if not all. I have worked with children for years so I resent being told to find another career. I don't think what I am feeling is abnormal and feel that many of you would feel the same in my situation.

Emm, you would be surprised. They will work it out eventually but they certainly don't keep close tabs on and have little idea of how it runs. It's just not a priority or a big money maker to them like other areas of the gym are. I have worked here enough years to know how they operate.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:54 AM

Ok, so you have 2 choices, look for another job or wait it out to see what happens.
As long as they offer the daycare program, there has to be a warm body in the daycare center. I would personally ride it out and if they eventually shut it down, then you can find another job.
I understand that you feel stressed that no one is there but it's not the same as if the daycare was the main business and no kids are there. The gym is the business. The daycare is a perk. Like I said, if they close it, you'll have notice. I wouldn't create a situation.
I still think that you're not giving them credit. Just bc front of house runs reports doesn't mean that they don't get copies or have access to the system. They have to know what is coming in so they can pay their bills.
Good luck.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:06 PM

Well, I guess I wait it out and see what happens in the next few weeks. I calculated that 14 of my regular kids haven't been in since Summer started. Hopefully they will return, if not, I have problems.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:10 PM

But the bright side is that you will have some type of notice bc they have to inform the members. If they were to close it, I would guess it would be effective the first of the next month with at least a 2-3 week notice. I think you're fine for August so wait and see what happens next month.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:17 PM

Knowing my luck I will probably be told on my birthday which falls on the first of September

Old 08-16-2017, 12:49 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I guess you don't have anything to worry about. Not sure why people worry about what has not happened yet. You don't know what is going to happen. No need to worry about things that have not happened. Then again no need to worry about things that have already happened.

What is the worse thing that can happen if they shut down the day care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment